Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  46
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Behind Lachie Hunters exit from the Western Bulldogs

Behind Lachie Hunter’s exit from the Western Bulldogs

Easily forgotten in the sordid saga that led to the sacking of journalist Tom Morris is the chain of events that led to Morris being in the headlines in the first place.

The night before the video of Morris making distasteful remarks about a colleague went viral, he’d been berated by Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge about preying on leaks from inside the club.

Specifically, it had been on the matter of Lachie Hunter and a Bulldogs plan to leave him out of the season opener and grand final rematch against Melbourne.

Twelve months on, Morris has a new job and so does Hunter.

Much was made of Brodie Grundy joining Melbourne despite having five years to run on his deal with Collingwood.

Less of a big deal, but potentially just as significant for the Demons, was their acquisition of Hunter, who had two years left to run on his deal at the Dogs, where he had signed a five-year extension in early 2019.

At that point in time, it would have been close to inconceivable that Hunter would be at a different club within four years.

He was 24, a father-son recruit, premiership player and reigning Charles Sutton Medallist. By the start of 2020, he had been appointed vice-captain to Marcus Bontempelli. His future looked as bankable as any player at any club.

The beginning of Hunter’s end at Whitten Oval came only months into that seismic year. With the AFL on an indefinite hiatus because of Covid-19, Hunter went for a drive while over the legal limit, crashing his car into four parked cars. He was banned for four matches and gave up the vice-captaincy.

He returned for a couple of matches following that ban before taking personal leave. Although Hunter finished 2020 strongly, his 2021 was only middling.

While the wingman played 25 matches as the Dogs surged to the grand final, Hunter missed the top 10 of the best and fairest and didn’t poll a Brownlow Medal vote. By the start of 2022, he was on the periphery of the line-up and after a month he took another break. In and out of the team after his return, Hunter’s final game for the Dogs would prove to be the elimination final loss to Fremantle.

He was traded for just a future third-rounder, a relative pittance.

Easily forgotten in the sordid saga that led to the sacking of journalist Tom Morris is the chain of events that led to Morris being in the headlines in the first place.

The night before the video of Morris making distasteful remarks about a colleague went viral, he’d been berated by Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge about preying on leaks from inside the club.

Specifically, it had been on the matter of Lachie Hunter and a Bulldogs plan to leave him out of the season opener and grand final rematch against Melbourne.

Twelve months on, Morris has a new job and so does Hunter.

Much was made of Brodie Grundy joining Melbourne despite having five years to run on his deal with Collingwood.

Less of a big deal, but potentially just as significant for the Demons, was their acquisition of Hunter, who had two years left to run on his deal at the Dogs, where he had signed a five-year extension in early 2019.

At that point in time, it would have been close to inconceivable that Hunter would be at a different club within four years.

He was 24, a father-son recruit, premiership player and reigning Charles Sutton Medallist. By the start of 2020, he had been appointed vice-captain to Marcus Bontempelli. His future looked as bankable as any player at any club.

The beginning of Hunter’s end at Whitten Oval came only months into that seismic year. With the AFL on an indefinite hiatus because of Covid-19, Hunter went for a drive while over the legal limit, crashing his car into four parked cars. He was banned for four matches and gave up the vice-captaincy.

He returned for a couple of matches following that ban before taking personal leave. Although Hunter finished 2020 strongly, his 2021 was only middling.

While the wingman played 25 matches as the Dogs surged to the grand final, Hunter missed the top 10 of the best and fairest and didn’t poll a Brownlow Medal vote. By the start of 2022, he was on the periphery of the line-up and after a month he took another break. In and out of the team after his return, Hunter’s final game for the Dogs would prove to be the elimination final loss to Fremantle.

He was traded for just a future third-rounder, a relative pittance.

For Melbourne, whose midfield was choc-full of inside beasts but needed a neat outside runner, Hunter was a tidy fit.

Dees skipper Max Gawn says the club couldn’t quite believe its luck.

“I understand things happen at different clubs, but he’s someone who comes to your team where you can’t understand why he’s no longer at his old team just by what he brings,” Gawn says.

“But obviously he needed a change, Western Bulldogs needed a change.

“He’s unbelievable by foot. He’s a great character, he was the vice-captain at the Western Bulldogs, he’s a strong communicator.

“I think we’re quite lucky to be able to get him, I feel like it’s a bit of a steal.

“And looking forward to playing some footy with him.”

While Gawn did not drive Hunter’s recruitment, he provided input for the decision, allaying any concerns over the wingman’s character.

“The process was similar to most processes with players we’ve traded in.

“I was able to add character references where I could, be able to say how hard of a player he was to play against, which he is. And then the rest sort of takes care of itself.”

And so, as luck has it, Hunter’s first match with his new side will be against his old side.

For Bontempelli, his premiership teammate’s departure showed that there are few happy endings in football.

“It’s always, in a way, sad to see those things. But I think at the time, it obviously was the right thing for both sides,” Bontempelli says.

“Lachie had a tough couple of years and a change of scenery might have been the best thing for him.”

Certainly, there will be no underestimating Hunter’s capacity.

“Coming up against him, you know what to expect. He’s a great runner, he uses the ball pretty well and he can cut you up at different points, so we’ll have to be wary.

“He’ll know what we’re probably going to do and how we might play, and we’ll know a little bit of what he can sort of do.

“I know what he’s like. He’ll be quite vocal and there’ll be some smart alec comments no doubt from him at different points.”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks azabob, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Behind Lachie Hunter’s exit from the Western Bulldogs

Does this turn up the heat on tonight's encounter just a bit?

Post Thanks / Like

I had seen this excerpt
    “I understand things happen at different clubs, but he’s someone who comes to your team where you can’t understand why he’s no longer at his old team just by what he brings,” Gawn says.
    and I was ready to tee off, but it's really a nothing article.

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad he is moved on along and after tonight I hope he plays some good football with the Dees.
    We let him go cheaply so we didn't have to contribute towards his salary so hopefully win win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm glad he is moved on along and after tonight I hope he plays some good football with the Dees.
    We let him go cheaply so we didn't have to contribute towards his salary so hopefully win win.
    That’s confirmed, no salary contributed? Huge if correct.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit confused, was Hunter mouthing off to Morris? Let him know he wasn't playing?
    Did Bevo find out and that was the end of Hunter?
    So many question and nothing really answered.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I'm a bit confused, was Hunter mouthing off to Morris? Let him know he wasn't playing?
    Did Bevo find out and that was the end of Hunter?
    So many question and nothing really answered.
    There was speculation Hunter was backgrounding due to being shitty.

It's a nothing article, albeit framed initially to make it look like the crazy Bulldogs were at it again. Glad they included some commentary from Bont, which was pretty dry.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Thanks Hotdog60 thanked for this post
    Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever the circumstances that image still hits like a knife in the guts.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I'm surprised I do not feel the same way.
    He looks like a turncoat in it and it looks too big.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I'm surprised I do not feel the same way.
    He looks like a turncoat in it and it looks too big.
    I don't feel anything. Just someone that plays for another team.
    "It's over. It's all over."

15. Likes Bulldog4life, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I don't feel anything. Just someone that plays for another team.
    Same. Once they leave that's it, I write them off. They are welcome back for the Premiership re-union
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Same. Once they leave that's it, I write them off. They are welcome back for the Premiership re-union
    There are some I feel some vitriol for but most I don't even put the energy into writing them off. Thanks for your service and I move on.
    "It's over. It's all over."

18. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some I feel some vitriol for but most I don't even put the energy into writing them off. Thanks for your service and I move on.
    I cant be bothered worrying about ex players. They can tell their story walking.

20. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I say write off, I mean I don't really worry about them.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I still follow some, depending on how they left. I mean Dunkley I couldn't give a dam about but I'll keep tabs on how Lachie is doing. I clapped Roughie when he played against us, I booed to my my voice was gone when Ryan Griffin played. I still have a bit of ill will towards Nathan Brown. Hahaha.

23. Likes bornadog, EasternWest liked this post