Thanks Thanks:  374
Likes Likes:  2,020
Page 170 of 170 FirstFirst ... 70120160161162163164165166167168169170
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 2550

Thread: Sharp Axes

  1. #2536
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    40,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    So you are saying Bevo gets another contract extension?
    One of the ways of looking at this is to think about how much scrutiny will Bevo and the club be under if we are to go into next year with Bevo at the helm. Come the end of the season we need to either make a move or have a very clear path on what the first half of the season looks like in terms of expectations.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

  2. #2537
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    One of the ways of looking at this is to think about how much scrutiny will Bevo and the club be under if we are to go into next year with Bevo at the helm. Come the end of the season we need to either make a move or have a very clear path on what the first half of the season looks like in terms of expectations.
    If we win 50% of our remaining games I expect Beveridge to coach next year. Even 40/60 I think he stays. Something dramatic would need to happen for Beveridge not to be in charge in 2025.

    As you say our senior off field leaders need to have well defined expectations and clear goals/hurdles at certain points throughout the season. At least four check IN points.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

  3. #2538
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kennel
    Posts
    16,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    So you are saying Bevo gets another contract extension?
    Not this year lol.

  4. #2539
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Maybe it was a chance to test Darcy against Sweet a known quantity? Sweet is a physical ruckman with limited mobility. I still think we should have kept him.

    What gets me, is Tim's lack of aggression to assert his physical presence. If he could do that he would be the complete ruckman, like a Dean Cox type.

    I don't get it why we don't tag players like Rozee or Butters. They completely ripped us up in the first quarter.
    I have found statements like this interesting.

    Part way through the first quarter I said to someone? watch the ball closely in this ruck contest.

    The ball hit a Port player on the chest. He was quickly caught in a tackle. Throw up again, same result. Throw up again, the receiver got the ball out to waiting teammate and it resulted in a goal. Port set up for ruck wins.

    This pattern of play was repeated a few times in the first quarter and that person stopped watching. Didn?t see our glorious fight back later.

    What did the damage was the ruckman keeping the position of his receivers as his primary focus.

  5. #2540
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    6,042
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    What I don’t get is that the inner sanctum keeps saying we are a top 4 team…have the cattle to be a top 4 team, and the structure to be in the window…so….if we don’t make finals, how the hell can Bevo keep his job?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

  6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
  7. #2541
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I have found statements like this interesting.

    Part way through the first quarter I said to someone? watch the ball closely in this ruck contest.

    The ball hit a Port player on the chest. He was quickly caught in a tackle. Throw up again, same result. Throw up again, the receiver got the ball out to waiting teammate and it resulted in a goal. Port set up for ruck wins.

    This pattern of play was repeated a few times in the first quarter and that person stopped watching. Didn?t see our glorious fight back later.

    What did the damage was the ruckman keeping the position of his receivers as his primary focus.
    Did it really?

  8. Likes Happy Days liked this post
  9. #2542
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    What I don’t get is that the inner sanctum keeps saying we are a top 4 team…have the cattle to be a top 4 team, and the structure to be in the window…so….if we don’t make finals, how the hell can Bevo keep his job?
    No they don?t.

  10. #2543
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kennel
    Posts
    16,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    No they don?t.
    They did in 2023. But toned it down quite signficantly this season didn't they.

  11. #2544
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    6,042
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    No they don?t.
    Oh sorry, I thought Bains etc said they are in the window and have a team that should be top 4 worthy? Or am I completely wrong here ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

  12. #2545
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    62,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Oh sorry, I thought Bains etc said they are in the window and have a team that should be top 4 worthy? Or am I completely wrong here ?
    He said that last year in an interview on SEN, but the club this year has only said they should be playing finals (President)
    FFC: Established 1883

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  13. #2546
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    6,042
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He said that last year in an interview on SEN, but the club this year has only said they should be playing finals (President)
    And if they don’t play finals? (which looks likely)
    I will never see #16 the same!!

  14. #2547
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    62,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    And if they don’t play finals? (which looks likely)
    Who knows.
    FFC: Established 1883

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  15. #2548
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    And if they don’t play finals? (which looks likely)
    DG I think the out here is we are now playing younger players, game plan change.

    Sorry mate Bevo will go when he calls time.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

  16. #2549
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Did it really?
    It did. And English doesn?t.

  17. #2550
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sharp Axes

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    One of the ways of looking at this is to think about how much scrutiny will Bevo and the club be under if we are to go into next year with Bevo at the helm. Come the end of the season we need to either make a move or have a very clear path on what the first half of the season looks like in terms of expectations.
    We have had very clear paths before. Look at what happens for a few years after a grand final appearance.

    Since 2021 we have had The Four Headed Monster (2023), Games into the Youngsters but not Rebuilding (2024).

    The only thing we do better than clear paths is get rid of players who seemed to contribute to finals wins.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •