Thanks Thanks:  327
Likes Likes:  1,656
Page 11 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharp Axes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Didn't we recently have a review? What happened with that? What were the results?
    Internal review with no results of it listed. It's like the police reviewing themselves when something is wrong ''?ll good nothing to see here'' 99% of the time.

We seriously need external eyes looking in at us at the moment, get a feeling they'd uncover alot that is getting ignored/hidden because of the boys-club in the football department.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

2. Likes Dry Rot, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Lets go through the main crux of your assumption in that Bevo has lost the group because I don't feel that can be confirmed in any way. Coaches and their clubs can still win games even if there is plenty of tension between the coach and some of the players.
    You can also lose games closely and there be tension between the coaches and players.
    The results so far have been awful and no one can deny it because the scoreboard and the vision supports it but I can't say I've seen anything to suggest the players or coaches aren't invested. It's an often used and a catchy phrase when clubs are challenged but I'd really like for someone to point out why they think that has happened. Why has the coach apparently lost the players?

I'm not against making change but making a quick and reactive one that shits on a coach that has got us to two Grand Finals ideally needs to be done professionally and be fact based rather than with a mindset that he must go and anyone else is preferential.

I'd like us to start a review to identify why we are struggling for effort and why the game plan that we trained for all summer hasn't been or can't be implemented.

Of course there is a real chance Lade could be given the role at some time during the season but we owe it ourselves to work out what the challenges are and if it's significantly on Bevo that necessitates a need to make a move or not.
    The message is getting stale. The game plan is stale. The effort is stale. Call it what you like, but on evidence to date the coach isn't getting the performance from the team that is expected. Now either the players are not that good or the game plan sucks or the coach's tactics are wrong or the coach's message is not getting through.

I don't think a review is the answer, especially not mid-season. I would be though asking Bevo directly what he thinks the problem is and whether he has a solution. I'd then be setting Bevo some very clear criteria against which the next 4 weeks is going to measured - beyond win-loss, but maybe tied to some KPI's that Bevo has identified as important for the team and the strategy that they are employing.

The club can then assess a) whether the tactics if executed correctly can win games (because if we hit the KPI everyweek for 4 weeks and get creamed then the answer is no); or b) that the players are not capable of hitting the KPI's. These tell us different things, and should lead to different outcomes.

The fact he is a coach that has broken our Premiership drought and taken us to a 2nd GF is nice, but history doesn't buy you much credit. 2016 bought him 4 years; 2021 has bought him 2 at best. The club has to be concerned. Losing to Melbourne by a kick is a loss, but you can spin it as an unlucky bounce; making a spirited comeback, but not quite getting over against an improved StKilda side is disappointed and you can again spin that. What the Doggies have served up to date is beyond rubbish. on curent form they would likely lose to the Hawks.

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes G-Mo77, azabob, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whether or not you are in the 'Sack Bevo' or 'Back Bevo' camp (and there has been some great discussion and analysis on both sides), Saturday night's unexpected capitulation against a team decimated by injuries and not expected to contend this year will ultimately be a positive thing either way - the entire organisation is officially on notice, we are fairly and squarely in the spotlight and we will be playing right on the edge (as we should have been from R1, but better 2 weeks late than never).

FWIW I'm still in the 'Back Bevo' camp and I expect significant improvement from the playing group starting this Thursday night. If we don't respond as a professional organisation worth its salt should, then there will not be an option other than to make a nuclear change at some stage this season. But I would like to see a bigger sample size than 2 weeks, and TBH Bevo deserves that opportunity (as do the players).

To quote Ross the Boss, failure is feedback. We have been given a valuable 2 week lesson, and it's up to the players and MC to roll the sleeves up and get on with the business of becoming the best version of the Bulldogs they can be.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting I heard Lyon say his current game plan is based on the 6-6-6 rule. If that wasn't there his game plan would be more defensive....or words to the effect. He was on AFL360. Anyone else hear him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Interesting I heard Lyon say his current game plan is based on the 6-6-6 rule. If that wasn't there his game plan would be more defensive....or words to the effect. He was on AFL360. Anyone else hear him?
    Normally watch all the footy programs all week, but am avoiding them for the most part this week. Needed a bit of a cleanse after the past 2 weeks.

9. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Normally watch all the footy programs all week, but am avoiding them for the most part this week. Needed a bit of a cleanse after the past 2 weeks.
    We've been given our right whack in the media this week which I'm ok with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Same - it's just depressing when we are losing.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

SOS, sharpen it and yield it.

Interesting walking out of the ground there were quite a lot of vocal supporters wanting Bevo out.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    SOS, sharpen it and yield it.

Interesting walking out of the ground there were quite a lot of vocal supporters wanting Bevo out.
    We’ve wasted this era. Flag amazing. 2021 crazy. All this talent and really we’ve blown our shot at continued success. But he’s not going anywhere so let’s embrace crazy selections, passive coaching, skills backward, players out of position and players seemingly playing without heart on and off for very limited real success.

What are we gunna do. Throw everything at three time premiership coach Damien Hardwick?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We?ve wasted this era. Flag amazing. 2021 crazy. All this talent and really we?ve blown our shot at continued success. But he?s not going anywhere so let?s embrace crazy selections, passive coaching, skills backward, players out of position and players seemingly playing without heart on and off for very limited real success.

What are we gunna do. Throw everything at three time premiership coach Damien Hardwick?
    Not sure it could happen, Hardwick is Bevo?s mate from Hawthorn?

Post Thanks / Like

We?ve wasted this era. Flag amazing. 2021 crazy. All this talent and really we?ve blown our shot at continued success. But he?s not going anywhere so let?s embrace crazy selections, passive coaching, skills backward, players out of position and players seemingly playing without heart on and off for very limited real success.

You can say that about most teams right. It is difficult to win a premiership let alone multiple. I am just glad we have won one in my lifetime. Sure we have had talented players but maybe not as talented as we think. We have a handful of really great players but also a lot of average ones. One flag and one GF is just about right for whom we have had on our list.

16. Likes jeemak, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hardwick is taking a break, i doubt it, he won't be back for 24 months .

We should get someone who can be the bad cop and drive improvement and hard edge into the team.

When the chips are down, and your playing poorly, how do you cover the gap between your good and bad days ?

Bring Clarko in just for something different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    You can say that about most teams right. It is difficult to win a premiership let alone multiple. I am just glad we have won one in my lifetime. Sure we have had talented players but maybe not as talented as we think. We have a handful of really great players but also a lot of average ones. One flag and one GF is just about right for whom we have had on our list.
    That is nice, a flag. But we’ve underperformed expectations.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Were expectations realistic? We've had issues with our list for years, how many finals series and grand finals did we seriously expect to make in lieu of that?

I get the frustration with him, but we've got club level issues beyond Luke Beveridge. List management and recruitment being one of them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we have over rated our list over the years and we aren’t actually that good. Our list seems to have some very good players but lots of average ones as well. I don’t think we have underperformed- we just aren’t that good.

22. Likes jeemak, Boots, josie liked this post