Thanks Thanks:  345
Likes Likes:  1,799
Page 142 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4292132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147 LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 2204

Thread: Sharp Axes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The main thing I can't reconcile about Naughton back is how the game can keep moving with him with his hands on the football.

Speed on the ball is a big thing, every time Naughton gets it up the ground the game slows down because he doesn't have the skill level of decisiveness to move the ball quickly.

I was previously a big believer that he should go back, but I just can't see how it works for him.
    I don't think he sums up situations as quickly as other players but his intent is in the right place. He's also unusually good at moving through traffic for a guy of his size. I could see it working so long as the smalls around him know to provide a handball option.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Beveridge is caught in crossfire
    For years our supporters want players picked on form but when well known players get dropped suddenly we don't have the heart for it.
    When we lose a couple of games the cry to play the kids happens but when we play them suddenly our supporters don't have the heart for it when we lose.
    Our supporters want us to run out games and fight to the end and to play prime time games but when we are down a few goals in the last they leave early themselves.
    And when the coach gives his summary after a poor loss we pick apart what he says.
    I get the feeling that a lot of the angst some in our supporter base have is due to the negative press we receive from a handful of radio and TV commentators. Don't listen to them because round 5 is way too early to consider coaching changes.

Post Thanks / Like

I don?t read much press, maybe what?s posted on woof and sometimes what?s in The Age. I support dropping of out of form senior players and blooding youngsters. I think we could?ve done more of this over the years & not held onto fringe types so long.

My criticism of coaching has been related to lack of respect for ruck work, poor defensive efforts, poor delivery into F50 etc. - same problems year after year.

Agree R5 too early to sack coach. However it?s with a sinking heart I think this season will be a wasted one (again) and the rot is starting to set in. I would dearly love to be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    For years our supporters want players picked on form but when well known players get dropped suddenly we don't have the heart for it.
    When we lose a couple of games the cry to play the kids happens but when we play them suddenly our supporters don't have the heart for it when we lose.
    Our supporters want us to run out games and fight to the end and to play prime time games but when we are down a few goals in the last they leave early themselves.
    And when the coach gives his summary after a poor loss we pick apart what he says.
    I get the feeling that a lot of the angst some in our supporter base have is due to the negative press we receive from a handful of radio and TV commentators. Don't listen to them because round 5 is way too early to consider coaching changes.
    The joys of being a senior coach.

5. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I don?t read much press, maybe what?s posted on woof and sometimes what?s in The Age. I support dropping of out of form senior players and blooding youngsters. I think we could?ve done more of this over the years & not held onto fringe types so long.

My criticism of coaching has been related to lack of respect for ruck work, poor defensive efforts, poor delivery into F50 etc. - same problems year after year.

Agree R5 too early to sack coach. However it?s with a sinking heart I think this season will be a wasted one (again) and the rot is starting to set in. I would dearly love to be wrong.
    I see this a bit, “it’s too early” why?

Sounds like kicking a can down the road.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't read much of WOOF this week, but your summary is absolutely spot on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I see this a bit, “it’s too early” why?

Sounds like kicking a can down the road.
    You might as well make the hard call at the end of the season when there were some clashes with Grant.
    If we go early we look very weak managers and I don't believe that is the case.
    If things get worse we have a better basis to make the decision
    If things get better we can reassess later in the year.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I haven't read much of WOOF this week, but your summary is absolutely spot on.
    Not sure if you saw the game Friday night but our performance was worse than the West Coast game from last year.

I’d say that is were majority of the angst is coming from.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Easy way to relieve pressure and stop the negative press. Start by beating the Saints otherwise it?s just getting worse.
    We were well beaten by Essendon of course there should be media pressure.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I think it did not help players were played out of position. The speed of the game has made this tactic backfire. Wasted list spots and game development in some players.

Yes, English is one of them, his not a bash and crash ruckman, his a fwd/ruck(pinch hit).

We seriously need speed and players who are good at playing at their positions. Would like to see a McCreey type mid. Maybe its Garcia ?

Coupled that with not getting the midfielders in 2021 onwards to cover , it has caught us out with Dunkley(leaving) and Smith(injured)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Also, I think it did not help players were played out of position. The speed of the game has made this tactic backfire. Wasted list spots and game development in some players.

Yes, English is one of them, his not a bash and crash ruckman, his a fwd/ruck(pinch hit).

We seriously need speed and players who are good at playing at their positions. Would like to see a McCreey type mid. Maybe its Garcia ?

Coupled that with not getting the midfielders in 2021 onwards to cover , it has caught us out with Dunkley(leaving) and Smith(injured)
    Good point. Our player development has been average and slow and misdirected.

I also challenge the notion that good player are out of form. Out of position yes, but form is questionable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Who is being played out of position atm?

English is raised but I literally the reigning AA ruck and has never really proven himself as anything else, Naughton gets played as a key forward by 18/18 clubs every week. Is that it?

I do find it funny that Beveridge is getting hammered over selection integrity when we have never embraced the concept more.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

16. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think for me it all comes down to a fairly over simplistic statement/question:

Are we under-performing?
    Do we have a List which should have us in the top 4 and in all honesty capable of beating every team on our day?

If the answer is yes to both of those (Which i think it is) then clearly we have an issue with how we are managing the game day, i have no doubt were in a bit of a change phase with Bevo, hes trying to adapt, and i think he deserves our faith in that he should have a crack at it, will it happen instantly? no? but when has he had enough of a chance to implement the change? (btw i think the change was needed 24 months ago)

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree and good points you make.

Bevo did say prior to the season commencing that there would be changes to the team. He said we needed to introduce speed. He made a point by saying that if we were to keep the side as it was we were going to get the same results. He said we had to change the way we played and the personnel we use. He was fairly clear on that point.

19. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Totally agree and good points you make.

Bevo did say prior to the season commencing that there would be changes to the team. He said we needed to introduce speed. He made a point by saying that if we were to keep the side as it was we were going to get the same results. He said we had to change the way we played and the personnel we use. He was fairly clear on that point.
    Many of our supporters are impatient for results to come and I'm in that camp myself but many also aren't prepared to go through some of the pain that comes with accepting change and that is what is required to take a step forward. That's a huge challenge for many of our supporters. Looking at Collingwood success last year it was built around pace and fast movement on the footy so some of the slower players on our list aren't the walk up starts they previously were. That takes a bit of getting used to when you don't win. I get the sense that many of our supporters have the finger pointed directly at Beveridge and that's fine because he's the coach and the man that charts the course but 5 weeks into the season is way too early to change course.
    I'm not against getting another coach but it's a problematic solution so early in the season.

21. Likes Bullies liked this post