Thanks Thanks:  344
Likes Likes:  1,795

Thread: Sharp Axes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Well...he was. Sort of.

Having not heard the interview and just read the transcript, it comes across as a:

"well, you know, we would've done more if we hadn't had to commit all our resources to those top picks...".

Like I said mate, Power isn't wrong but it's just not a path I think he should've gone down without expecting this sort of blowback.
    Maybe listen to the interview.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I'm with you on this bad. I watched it through before Wayne King spewed bile I didn't even stop munching my corn flakes to ponder that.

He never used it as an excuse was just giving an honest answer to a couple of guys he knows pretty well.

3. Likes bornadog, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well...he was. Sort of.

Having not heard the interview and just read the transcript, it comes across as a:

"well, you know, we would've done more if we hadn't had to commit all our resources to those top picks...".

Like I said mate, Power isn't wrong but it's just not a path I think he should've gone down without expecting this sort of blowback.
    Power answered the question I think as well as he could but perhaps he should have been a bit more positive about it because everyone understands that you have to stump up to acquire top end talent.
    We also had to invest a bit to get Treloar too the club as well.
    We will have to pay a decent price if we are to land the Suns pick 4 if that happens and we will have to do the same to get Croft.
    Does it impact other recruiting? Yeah it probably does and I think Power explained it okay without making it into an excuse.

To me it's a real positive to have invested a bit to land Ugle-Hagan, Darcy and Busslinger and this year with Croft but it's also going to take some time to get the return for that investment in talent.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Cal Twomey is involved so zero chance of that!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m fairly confident that we have the cattle. Yes this year sucked snd to many players looked to lack interest. If the playing group’s moral is ok. We sign our big fish (English, Smith and Naughts) then building a better footy department will pay off in spades. We just need to have the conviction to set standards and drop players not doing as requested.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

9. Likes josie, GVGjr, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I’m fairly confident that we have the cattle. Yes this year sucked snd to many players looked to lack interest. If the playing group’s moral is ok. We sign our big fish (English, Smith and Naughts) then building a better footy department will pay off in spades. We just need to have the conviction to set standards and drop players not doing as requested.
    We need some mongrel and a bit more speed too.

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    We need some mongrel and a bit more speed too.
    Yes I agree. But toughness is an attitude thing. If you know you will get dropped for not chasing, tackling or impacting a contest you will do it. Speed wise we need JJ, Garcia and Arty to have big pre seasons and cement a spot in the side. I motivated Smith and Williams and we could be humming
    BB.

13. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cal Twomey is involved so zero chance of that!
    Fair enough, a bit like me with some of these media types. Can't stand them.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Smith has to play midfield next season. We lack pace in there.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Smith has to play midfield next season. We lack pace in there.
    Yes agree. I would swap him with Adz on the wing. Keeps them both in the game longer and around the ball. I’d even swap Libba with West in the forward line. Bont for MaCrae or Williams.

I think if we continue with Poulter/Baker and The Lilian’s on the wings. MaCrae may guy struggle to find a spot. Interesting year coming king up for some of our big name players
    BB.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes agree. I would swap him with Adz on the wing. Keeps them both in the game longer and around the ball. I’d even swap Libba with West in the forward line. Bont for MaCrae or Williams.

I think if we continue with Poulter/Baker and The Lilian’s on the wings. MaCrae may guy struggle to find a spot. Interesting year coming king up for some of our big name players
    If Busslinger develops like he should and plays 1's next year I would play JOD on the wing. Has the perfect build for wing. Has speed and versatility. Would be so hard to match up on. Watched him in the 2's earlier in the year at Port Melbourne on the wing and dominated. Would be a luxury but a good one to have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    If Busslinger develops like he should and plays 1's next year I would play JOD on the wing. Has the perfect build for wing. Has speed and versatility. Would be so hard to match up on. Watched him in the 2's earlier in the year at Port Melbourne on the wing and dominated. Would be a luxury but a good one to have.
    I’m not so sure. I understand what you say and with Darcy coming back that make sense. However that would not help us with speed around the ball. With our midfield group. I Williams, Smith, Poulter get pushed forward.

I’m hoping some fresh eyes and a high performance environment honestly has played in set posistions and they gain continuity.
    BB.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the review on going, or has it finished?
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Is the review on going, or has it finished?
    I'd say with all the departures parts of it are in play. There are the actions we are seeing now and then the changes that will happen before the end of the season.

What are your thought on the shake-up so far? While you had some of the more senior managers in your sights are you pleased we are looking to upgrade the coaches box and find a new head of conditioning manager?
    I can't recall a more vigorous last few weeks in terms of changes at the club without a head coach being involved.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd say with all the departures parts of it are in play. There are the actions we are seeing now and then the changes that will happen before the end of the season.

What are your thought on the shake-up so far? While you had some of the more senior managers in your sights are you pleased we are looking to upgrade the coaches box and find a new head of conditioning manager?
    I can't recall a more vigorous last few weeks in terms of changes at the club without a head coach being involved.
    Seems like a fair bit of change. Certainly a fair few blokes moving on. Who we replace them with will be the defining factor. We've let an experienced defensive coach and experienced fitness guy go. Webb was experienced too.

We're certainly going to have a crop of new faces in the coaching/support ranks.