Thanks Thanks:  366
Likes Likes:  1,898

Thread: Sharp Axes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

Quote Originally Posted by DadBod View Post
    It was the effort that concerned me the most, it was beyond lacklustre. Yet if you look at the stats, they're very similar. They had a lot more kicks, hitouts and centre clearances which got the ball moving for them. They had more contested wins and more marks which tells me we were well off our opponents.
    Disposals: we had 4 of the top 5.
    Scores: we had 3 of the top 6.
    Tackles: we had the top 4.

It doesn't make sense. Both teams were similar, but our effort was pathetic.
    There's no doubt we matched them in general play (we won narrowly on expected score), but is it good enough to just match the Bombers? Definitely not. Our centre bounce work needs to be addressed, and as much as Libba and Bont are our golden boys, they need to take a lot of responsibility for this feature of our game that has deserted us.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Agree with everything you've said.
    Picking teams largely based on form is the right thing to do and some players might need to adjust to that.
    Picking teams with an eye on the future when you can is also the right thing to do.
    It doesn't mean you play youngsters just for the sake of if but if the form warrants selections then they should be in the mix.

I didn't find Bevo comments confusing but clearly a lot of people did so he will need to improve his communication.

The press is coming for him and a lot of our supporters have lost faith this weeks game against the Saints will be huge.
    The level of confusion at his comments I think hinges on whether you believe that eg. Sanders is giving us more than Macrae would have, or Gallagher more than Daniel. Even with these senior guys below their best, I think they're still much better contributors than the kids. Now I like that we're playing Gags and Sando, and I don't mind losing if we're clear on what we want to achieve over the long term, but if we're actually trying to get every ounce of performance in the now then we're failing. A full game from Macrae against Geelong might have been the difference between losing and winning.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

2. Likes GVGjr, DadBod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with everything you've said.
    Picking teams largely based on form is the right thing to do and some players might need to adjust to that.
    Picking teams with an eye on the future when you can is also the right thing to do.
    It doesn't mean you play youngsters just for the sake of if but if the form warrants selections then they should be in the mix.

I didn't find Bevo comments confusing but clearly a lot of people did so he will need to improve his communication.

The press is coming for him and a lot of our supporters have lost faith this weeks game against the Saints will be huge.
    That's all this latest stuff is about. Certain vocal sections of the media have blood in their nostrils for a coach who does not engage with them as much as other coaches do - and in some cases (Cornes and Barrett) there is obvious and genuine hostility.

I don't care about any of that stuff, nor do I care about any bruised egos with some players not getting selected in 2024. What we are doing now is at the very least 1 year overdue (more likely 2 years). The game trends move at light speed and we have been caught napping since the end of 2021.

Quite simply, the senior core of players who we entrusted with our mini-rebuild in 2018-19, with a view to contending from 2021-2026 are a hard group of players to love, because they have proven time and again that they are conditional with their efforts week to week, let alone year to year. As a result, they are also clearly a hard group of players to trust, and Bevo has given them far too much of that trust over the years. It's not like we've lost anyone bankable of note apart from Dunkley. You think Stringer is unconditional week to week? He is the modern day Darren Gaspar - only peaks when it is contract renewal time.

You don't just give a new game plan and off-field structure one month to work and then tear it all up. The players actually have to start with unconditional effort and adherence to the new plan. Things can turn round quickly - have a look at Collingwood, GWS and Sydney (even Carlton) - but we have to be unified and united across the entire organisation (and especially playing group). Sacking the senior coach in May, after committing to a full review replete with significant changes in coaching/conditioning and game style, is going to send far worse messages that getting a couple of senior players noses out of joint with selection.

The players as a collective need to shut up and get to work.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I didn't find it confusing from a literary sense. It was the message. What on earth is he talking about? NOW it's a rehash/rebuild? Last year we are top 4, now it's a rebuild I mean wtf are they smoking down there. What kind of message is that for fans/players/sponsors etc etc etc.

Just talk about the game, don't go into the supposed strategy of the club because it makes your coaching performance look hampered by some Machiavellian force driving change (which I don't think he is buying into).

Strangely he didn't insinuate this after the Gold Coast game....

We picked JOD for the Saints game? Ex squuuuueze me.

He's transferred his inane ramblings at the season launch to the press conference now. I thought he'd mention the snow button at some stage
    Unfortunately I have thought this way for a while, says a lot but doesn't say much of substance and comes across as all over the place Kevin Sheedy style. Kane Cornes is a muppet but he is spot on when he said he needed an interpreter to decipher what the coach said at his presser as I feel the same way after most of Bevos media work.

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    That's all this latest stuff is about. Certain vocal sections of the media have blood in their nostrils for a coach who does not engage with them as much as other coaches do - and in some cases (Cornes and Barrett) there is obvious and genuine hostility.

I don't care about any of that stuff, nor do I care about any bruised egos with some players not getting selected in 2024. What we are doing now is at the very least 1 year overdue (more likely 2 years). The game trends move at light speed and we have been caught napping since the end of 2021.

Quite simply, the senior core of players who we entrusted with our mini-rebuild in 2018-19, with a view to contending from 2021-2026 are a hard group of players to love, because they have proven time and again that they are conditional with their efforts week to week, let alone year to year. As a result, they are also clearly a hard group of players to trust, and Bevo has given them far too much of that trust over the years. It's not like we've lost anyone bankable of note apart from Dunkley. You think Stringer is unconditional week to week? He is the modern day Darren Gaspar - only peaks when it is contract renewal time.

You don't just give a new game plan and off-field structure one month to work and then tear it all up. The players actually have to start with unconditional effort and adherence to the new plan. Things can turn round quickly - have a look at Collingwood, GWS and Sydney (even Carlton) - but we have to be unified and united across the entire organisation (and especially playing group). Sacking the senior coach in May, after committing to a full review replete with significant changes in coaching/conditioning and game style, is going to send far worse messages that getting a couple of senior players noses out of joint with selection.

The players as a collective need to shut up and get to work.
    That?s a bingo.

Post Thanks / Like

This week's game against the saints is huge. If we're much of the same we'll come out hard for the first quarter and maybe eek ahead by a goal but that's about the longest this group can crack in for in a tough encounter. We'll then fall back to our old habits and lose comfortably.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We picked JOD for the Saints game? Ex squuuuueze me.
    Well I've listened to it again

"We've been a little bit on edge having Liam and Buku shouldering the key defensive load and without another tall to really play on keys (Forwards) it's meant that Ed Richards and Bailey to a degree and sometimes Taylor Duryea to agree have had to fight out of their weight range in the air so it's so we've probably been a bit off in terms of the influence in games so we thought it was a good week to bring James in. James is going to be a really important player for us in the future and to get him going and you don't pick the side two weeks ahead but understanding what we have coming up against the Saints with a bit of a taller forward line we are definitely going to need someone like James in the team"

I'm reading it that James was picked to play against Essendon on merit and needs and then Bevo clarified that we also need JOD going forward against teams like the Saints.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"We've been a little bit on edge having Liam and Buku shouldering the key defensive load and without another tall to really play on keys (Forwards) it's meant that Ed Richards and Bailey to a degree and sometimes Taylor Duryea to agree have had to fight out of their weight range in the air so it's so we've probably been a bit off in terms of the influence in games so we thought it was a good week to bring James in. James is going to be a really important player for us in the future and to get him going and you don't pick the side two weeks ahead but understanding what we have coming up against the Saints with a bit of a taller forward line we are definitely going to need someone like James in the team"

I'm reading it that James was picked to play against Essendon on merit and needs and then Bevo clarified that we also need JOD going forward against teams like the Saints.
    I still don’t get it.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep makes sense, it's kind of ambiguous and poorly worded though. Lucky we've got you to translate G!

I would've brought JOD in earlier if that's the reasoning....? He played in the VFL and the Cats have talls. Sometimes I don't believe a word he says.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I still don’t get it.
    It's very oddly worded, and doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. Is he admitting he got it wrong earlier if Richards is playing tall..? Or is he saying we had injuries.

Keath is there if you want to get the balance right.

Post Thanks / Like

If we thought we had Essendon's measure then it was a good time to bring in JOD as less risk and better match game fitness.
    The only problem was Essendon didn't read the script and the same for 3/4 of our team.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Now Caroline Wilson is piling in https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1779795172194144605

Post Thanks / Like

Robbo "I think the Bulldogs decided to do this in the offseason" i.e. play the kids

https://x.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1779795140749431183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Robbo "I think the Bulldogs decided to do this in the offseason" i.e. play the kids

https://x.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1779795140749431183
    So is Power or Milesi under pressure? Who do we blame, i mean Slobbo is right.

Post Thanks / Like

Kane saying that we are playing Baker before Dale as an example that Bevo has lost the plot because we signed to Dale to a five year deal and that we are committed to him. However, it doesn't matter how longy our contract is if you are not performing. If you have someone in the gun you can spin the story anyway you want. If they were playing Dale and he was hopelessly out of form, the narrative would he is too loyal to his players and they got the contract wrong.

You can't win with Kane when he is on his high horse.

He is playing the heel. He plays it well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    How did Richmond go on the weekend anyway?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -