Thanks Thanks:  344
Likes Likes:  1,795
Page 17 of 147 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharp Axes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bevo is a very good coach, no doubt about it but to me it's a flawed logic that says regardless of how this season plays out we simply stick with him. We shouldn't be scared to test the market if we we are falling short of the mark.
    If we are blaming the quality of the list then why did we top up with experienced players at the end of last season? That doesn't seem to be an approach a club would take if they didn't rate our chances.
    In fact after our GF run in 2021 and knowing Bruce and McLean would miss most of 2022 we didn't make a lot of changes then either.
    Our history would say the club rates the list so we need to pinpoint other reasons if we don't measure up this year.
    Is the relocation away from the Whitten Oval something that has impacted the teams performance?
    This week was the first time I've heard Bevo imply that the list isnt as good as he thought when he said we're a rung below the top 4 teams. That was a big concession for mine because prior to that it has always been we can beat anyone.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Sanchez View Post
    For what its worth, Lipinski was also offered a much bigger salary at the Pies. Him, and Young now at the Blues, were both able to line their pockets, secure longer term contracts and also get more playing time opportunities. Dogs weren't prepared, and rightly so given their form up until that point, to match.

Just sayin...

In terms of camps, pro bevo or against, i dont have one. Actually maybe I'm in the performance camp - if that's even a thing. At the moment in my view we are performing pretty well, we're just not getting the results.

At the half way point of the season, I'm prepared to let it ride and assess final opinions once the cup has been won. Only then will we see who the real winners are/is. Hoping our club can refine its game plans execution between now and then to turn a corner and give ourselves every chance come the pointy end of the season.
    That's what I mean i.e refining the game plan. How many years to get it right? He's had this list together for a long time.

It's very feasible that North Melbourne beat us this week.

Then what?

This place will burn down.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We lost Hunter and Dunkley both in top sides now and playing well.

Replaced with no one really, Baker isn't Hunter level.

We for some reason jettisoned a young mid (Lipinski) who would be playing now leaving a massive lack of young emerging mids.

How we couldn't sell him the vision is beyond belief.

Lobb is a complete bust I think, and like others not even slightly surprised.

Jones (Liam) has been great however we can't rely on him to carry the defence every week. He's already looking tired.
    We jettisoned Lipinski did we? Or did we ask him to try and play as a wing so he could get a game? Come on mate.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bevo is a very good coach, no doubt about it but to me it's a flawed logic that says regardless of how this season plays out we simply stick with him. We shouldn't be scared to test the market if we we are falling short of the mark.
    If we are blaming the quality of the list then why did we top up with experienced players at the end of last season? That doesn't seem to be an approach a club would take if they didn't rate our chances.
    In fact after our GF run in 2021 and knowing Bruce and McLean would miss most of 2022 we didn't make a lot of changes then either.
    Our history would say the club rates the list so we need to pinpoint other reasons if we don't measure up this year.
    Is the relocation away from the Whitten Oval something that has impacted the teams performance?
    It's more I'm happy for him to see out his contract but if feels the need to jump well no one can stop that.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    This week was the first time I've heard Bevo imply that the list isnt as good as he thought when he said we're a rung below the top 4 teams. That was a big concession for mine because prior to that it has always been we can beat anyone.
    It will be interesting to see if we have a cull at the end of the year.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We jettisoned Lipinski did we? Or did we ask him to try and play as a wing so he could get a game? Come on mate.
    I like the word jettisoned I'm sticking with it.

He plays high half forward/pushing into mid at Pies. I think that's where we played him?

Did we ask him to play wing?

Edit : I found a reference to wing in an afl article no direct quote.

My point is, if we sold the future to him with he being a part of it he'd be playing 200 games for us and not the Pies.

McComb played high half forward when he left. There was room. Now there's more.

You lot will never convince me a.) we couldn't have kept him and b.) he's no good especially when he is straight back into the top side this weekend.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 12-06-2023 at 10:05 PM.

8. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    It will be interesting to see if we have a cull at the end of the year.
    It will indeed. Friday night was the first time in a long time we saw a decent reshuffle re. team selection except we should have included JOD as well but get that we made alot of changes. I liked West back in just give him a crack now. Bring Poulter in as well and let's have a look. Cleary as well. What do we have to lose on the likes of JOD and McNeil? We've lost two half back flankers let's actually replace them with two half back flankers and give them 4-5 weeks, the same opportunity others have had.

It's time to make tough decisions in terms of our personnel on a week by week basis but as you say a list cleanse is long overdue post season as well.

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He plays high half forward/pushing into mid at Pies. I think that's where we played him?

My point is, if we sold the future to him with he being a part of it he'd be playing 200 games for us and not the Pies.

You lot will never convince me a.) we couldn't have kept him and b.) he's no good especially when he is straight back into the top side this weekend.
    We had Adam Treloar and Bailey Smith playing the high half forward roles, and rotating through the middle where Jack, Bont, Dunkley and Libba got first crack.

Lipinski got some time there, but he was asked to play wing and had issues with being asked to continually improve his speed to facilitate higher performance in the role.

Personally I think he left one year early given Dunkely was never going to stay, but he got an immediate opportunity with the Pies and good luck to him.

He's an extremely neat finisher and user of the football, and very handsome which is a bonus. Good luck to him, but don't bullshit around by saying we jettisoned him.

12. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, back on topic.

The team, to MJP's point, is actually playing committed football at the moment and outside of butchering shots at goal vs. Geelong and passing vs. Port has been up to its eyeballs in a very tough three game stretch - after a pretty tough start to the year fixture/ travel wise.

If we were putting in efforts like the first two rounds or losing to shit kickers I'd understand the angst, but right now I don't get the level that's being projected. I get there's things that need improving across selection, list management and a few other things, but the willingness to panic and pile on at the moment is over the top for mine*.

*Lose against Norf and I'm right into it, however!

Post Thanks / Like

Except the Lipinski part he was getting 40 touches a week in the twos.

Plus.. I mean look at him.
    I have zero regrets that Lipinski isn't at our club anymore, and I'm happy he's going well.

Your second point almost won me back over. Impossibly dreamy.
    "It's over. It's all over."

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall anyone saying he was no good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We had Adam Treloar and Bailey Smith playing the high half forward roles, and rotating through the middle where Jack, Bont, Dunkley and Libba got first crack.

Lipinski got some time there, but he was asked to play wing and had issues with being asked to continually improve his speed to facilitate higher performance in the role.

Personally I think he left one year early given Dunkely was never going to stay, but he got an immediate opportunity with the Pies and good luck to him.

He's an extremely neat finisher and user of the football, and very handsome which is a bonus. Good luck to him, but don't bullshit around by saying we jettisoned him.
    Where’s the bullshit? My opinion is bullshit? I think I’ve provided reasonable explanations cmon you’re better than that.

I believe we pushed him out with poor management, ergo jettisoned. Why make him a winger it’s so not his go, especially when he was played as an inside mid in the VFL. As for spots when he left we did play McComb high half forward so that’s just a moot point (no spots). We just didn’t manage his skill set well or sell a vision for a future that he was part of. That’s on the club I believe.

First I’ve heard of him being asked to improve his speed, it’s certainly not a strength and something you’d expect him to work on though.

I know that he was asked to work on his tackling.

I’ll leave it there as it appears to be touching a nerve for some reason unbeknownst to me.

Did you start a trade Lipinski thread I missed?

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance our fitness team needs a refresh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I don't recall anyone saying he was no good.
    I’m no narc!

Post Thanks / Like

I’m no narc!
    Well I hope it wasn't me now.