Thanks Thanks:  341
Likes Likes:  1,742
Page 3 of 141 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharp Axes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

TBT, a great rational well thought out post.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    It is too early to make these calls. After all we blitzed Geelong in round 1 2007. They won the flag. We missed finals.

I feel some of my disillusionment is linked to a feeling of a lack of transparency & communication on where club leadership sees ourselves and where are we going. Two horrible finals capitulations in a row but we’re never really told what the club has learnt & how it’s being addressed. Is it fitness, tactics, whatever - the so called review either didn’t happen or we weren’t privileged to know the answers but from the outside very little - bar one new coach coming in - appears to have changed. Yet the club in going for two 30+ year olds is signalling we are in the window and only minimal change needed. I think that’s why Saturday night was hard to take. If we lose on Saturday it will be hard not to feel an implosion is coming.
    TBT did you happen to catch Chris Grant at half time of our intra-club match? He gave really good insight into what was identified as a weakness by the playing group and how they took responsibility for being more accountable for their consistency in games, across games and across the season. I feel the first test on that front has been dismally failed.

He also talked to some of the issues we had with our list and how they were addressed, though unfortunately our two major recruits didn't impact the game how we might have liked.

Additionally the club has stated it believes it should be contending for a top four birth, all but emphatically. Their position that we have the ingredients but not the consistency was really clear. Team defence was also stated as a clear area for improvement by Bevo in recent interviews, where we languished last year but performed really well in 2021.

This is the first time in a while where I feel the club's leadership has been clear with where they think we're at. Didn't help us round one, however!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem I see is the lack of quality assistants coaches in recent years. Most successful coaches have great assistants. Why doesn’t the club attract quality and we end up with Webb and Spangler who have very ordinary resumes. Yes I know Matt is close to Luke but should Luke have that much say. Why do we pay unders for assistants? How much does Bevo get paid? He whines more than anyone about the soft cap.

i am concerned we have let quality walked away in Corey, Dalrymple, Montgomery who appeared to be major players in our Flag. It appears after the review the club thought Lade was the answer. I am not sure anyone can keep him in check.

if I was running the club I would give him to round 12. We need to be 7-5 for him to stay.

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes macca, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post
    The biggest problem I see is the lack of quality assistants coaches in recent years. Most successful coaches have great assistants. Why doesn’t the club attract quality and we end up with Webb and Spangler who have very ordinary resumes. Yes I know Matt is close to Luke but should Luke have that much say. Why do we pay unders for assistants? How much does Bevo get paid? He whines more than anyone about the soft cap.

i am concerned we have let quality walked away in Corey, Dalrymple, Montgomery who appeared to be major players in our Flag. It appears after the review the club thought Lade was the answer. I am not sure anyone can keep him in check.

if I was running the club I would give him to round 12. We need to be 7-5 for him to stay.
    I can't agree with this assessment Mavs.
    Lade is a very good 2IC and has brought a lot to us.
    Webb seems to be the more quieter one within the group but he has a wealth of knowledge and worked under Lyon for a few years.
    Smith is a brilliant motivator and team builder and I think Spangher has some very solid skills and traits and communicates so well.
    Then we have the development team of Maddocks, Varcoe, Martin and Edge is there from the VFL.

We could always do with an extra but we change change that at the moment.

Where we could be let down is I don't think we have appointed anyone to fulfill the role vacated by Chris Maple and that is a vital role to support the coaches and the sports science team. I guess that Chris Grant might be filling in there.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    TBT did you happen to catch Chris Grant at half time of our intra-club match? He gave really good insight into what was identified as a weakness by the playing group and how they took responsibility for being more accountable for their consistency in games, across games and across the season. I feel the first test on that front has been dismally failed.

He also talked to some of the issues we had with our list and how they were addressed, though unfortunately our two major recruits didn't impact the game how we might have liked.

Additionally the club has stated it believes it should be contending for a top four birth, all but emphatically. Their position that we have the ingredients but not the consistency was really clear. Team defence was also stated as a clear area for improvement by Bevo in recent interviews, where we languished last year but performed really well in 2021.

This is the first time in a while where I feel the club's leadership has been clear with where they think we're at. Didn't help us round one, however!
    No, I missed that. Even hearing that - which sounds like it addresses some of what I’m talking about- I’d probably like to see more specifics. I guess I still find “consistency” a bit vague - I mean, it still begs the question of why. Fitness? Attitude? Players not yet in the right window of enough pre seasons? Something else? And the midfield unaccountability has dogged us since 2016. I’m pretty sure that in 2021 there were still matches where a lowly team such as Carlton or GC had blitzes and could rattle on goals at will. But thanks for posting a bit about what chris said.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

9. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is too early to make these calls. After all we blitzed Geelong in round 1 2007. They won the flag. We missed finals.

I feel some of my disillusionment is linked to a feeling of a lack of transparency & communication on where club leadership sees ourselves and where are we going. Two horrible finals capitulations in a row but we’re never really told what the club has learnt & how it’s being addressed. Is it fitness, tactics, whatever - the so called review either didn’t happen or we weren’t privileged to know the answers but from the outside very little - bar one new coach coming in - appears to have changed. Yet the club in going for two 30+ year olds is signalling we are in the window and only minimal change needed. I think that’s why Saturday night was hard to take. If we lose on Saturday it will be hard not to feel an implosion is coming.
    Now that is a great use of some stats and you have identified some excellent points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I can't see the club making any coaching change before round 5, and probably not before the bye. We did front up against a good team, with a new structure and some key new members - I think we need a few weeks at least (and we play some more good teams during the first five) to determine whether the pre season coaching has actually lead to any real change.

BUT I also think if Bevo feels he has lost trust of the board/football management, then he would walk.
    My “it’ll be on” was in reference to the media being on his back. Bevo isn’t going anywhere this year and I’d doubt next.

12. Likes bornadog, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I missed that. Even hearing that - which sounds like it addresses some of what I’m talking about- I’d probably like to see more specifics. I guess I still find “consistency” a bit vague - I mean, it still begs the question of why. Fitness? Attitude? Players not yet in the right window of enough pre seasons? Something else? And the midfield unaccountability has dogged us since 2016. I’m pretty sure that in 2021 there were still matches where a lowly team such as Carlton or GC had blitzes and could rattle on goals at will. But thanks for posting a bit about what chris said.
    The match is still up on the website, but alas, the half time interview has been edited out!

He did go into more detail, I was paraphrasing - but now can't remember exactly what was said (the intra club thread may have comments from posters). The leaders spoke up about consistency in effort/ concentration/ intensity etc. and wanted specific training to address the lapses. I get the impression our issues are between the ears, and come down to a collective of individuals unwilling to give their all for an entire game or every week.

You're dead right though, it's been plaguing us for a while now.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Oh boy. Hearing the players are taking it upon themselves to become more concentrated and consistent for longer doesn't exactly instil me with confidence. They don't have a great track record.

Post Thanks / Like

I am hopeful Lade has some major impact but looking at the weekend the only difference is game style was standing the mark.

it can take a few weeks to get going noting we only played North while Dees played Tigers and another team. They were far better prepared. In hindsight playing just one practice game was a mistake. In 1997 our first game was a shocker and we turned it around.

Se have half a season to get a good sample. I will revisit my assessment in a few weeks and hope I am wrong but gee we looked terrrible on Saturday night.

16. Likes GVGjr, josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    BUT I also think if Bevo feels he has lost trust of the board/football management, then he would walk.
    I agree.

My take is that next 2 weeks shape as a really important. It wasn't losing to Melbourne that was the problem, it was capitulating, giving up almost. That smacks of a club where the coach has lost the players. His ability to get them up week after week is no longer there.

I am n the wait and see class, but to blow a generation of players like we have had would be disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I agree.

My take is that next 2 weeks shape as a really important. It wasn't losing to Melbourne that was the problem, it was capitulating, giving up almost. That smacks of a club where the coach has lost the players. His ability to get them up week after week is no longer there.

I am n the wait and see class, but to blow a generation of players like we have had would be disappointing.
    I do struggle a bit with this sort of language, and 'wasted the Bont years'. We are one of only 5 teams to have won a flag during 'the Bont years'. You only have to look at Geelong to see how hard they are to win.

We blew the 08-10 generation. We have succeeded with this generation - but should absolutely still be chasing more success.

19. Likes Happy Days, soupman, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The season has just started but we do have some challenges matching up with the Dees. In the scheme of the season I need to see a few more games to gauge our response.
    Aren't we just lucky that they had 3-4 of their better performed players against us missing in May, Fritsch, Viney & Salem.. imagine the carnage that would've been inflicted if they were in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Aren't we just lucky that they had 3-4 of their better performed players against us missing in May, Fritsch, Viney & Salem.. imagine the carnage that would've been inflicted if they were in the side.
    It was one of the most deflating starts to a season I can recall.
    Only way is up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Fritsch would’ve kicked 8 and that smug grin…