Thanks Thanks:  368
Likes Likes:  1,912
Page 41 of 160 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharp Axes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Had a chat with one of our board members yesterday.

They have heard the criticism of both fans and media this year, the board-member I spoke to admitted they didn't do enough with the assistant changes last season. Without going into too much detail they are looking to move Bevo into more of the Hinkley style coaching role, next season they are looking at setting him as the motivator, managing player relationships, rev ups, on the boundary line on game day etc, they want a host of experienced assistant coaches to set our ''game style'' and run the ''game plan'' on match day with Bevo taking a backseat to actual tactics.

This system has worked well for other clubs, currently Bevo does both, he takes on a huge amount of workload managing both player relationships and the running of game-day, might see a different look/attitude Bevo next season with the changes they want to make.

Right now it's finding a host of experienced assistant coaches to come in that will be key to our success next season.
    This is the best news!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Five years too late but better late than never.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes SonofScray, Sedat, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If they said this stuff publicly, but more polished in PR Speak, we’d have a lot less to discuss here. If Bevo is over stretched then it makes sense to play his strengthens and get him the support to advance things. Then there’s time to see how this works and no one is talking about sharp axes, we are waiting to see if it works.

Stew Dew would be target number one for me. If McQualter doesn’t get a gig he looks pretty switched on. In this set up, where the assistants can showcase their nous, hopefully that’s seen as a chance to showcase their abilities for a senior job and that enough to attract a couple of good candidates.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Sedat, josie, anfo27, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    which is actually a real shame. For 3 years we've been told the club has focused on key deficiencies only for them to be apparent the following year. We have arguably the best list on paper in my lifetime (42 years a dogs fan) and we're a 5-10th team.

What kills me though, is that we apparently spent an entire off season on a gameplan we nuked after round 2. The impact of that is surely taking its toll now and has been noticeable the whole season with our superstars being superstars and our B- players looking lost and the team not able to compete for 4 quarters in games against higher teams.

The message isnt getting through anymore. Its time for wholesale change
    One other point lost in all this as well was the move to Skinner Reserve for pre season and training for most of this season. The ground was rock hard, facilities were ordinary and the players did not like going there. Hopefully the new state of the art facilities will see a boost in enthusiasm as well.

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Changing Bevo’s role all well and good but what if we miss finals? That board member should be one of many to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Changing Bevo’s role all well and good but what if we miss finals? That board member should be one of many to go.
    Word on the street is Bevo hands in a resignation letter.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    thats pretty big news! A lot to play for this weekend then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    thats pretty big news! A lot to play for this weekend then.
    That was when we were safely in the top 8. Easy to say stuff like this before dropping a slate of games you should?ve won? But if it holds true, he needs to make finals. This team should be playing finals. He?s still got two years though. If that board member is to be believed the plan, finals or not, is Bevo seeing out his time. But it seems a Bevo (honourable) thing to do if we blow this season which we said we were on our window for after getting Lobb & Jones.

I?d prefer finals and a restructure. So let?s see if we can do the Hawks in Tassie.

12. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Miss finals Bevo shouldn’t be the only one.

Post Thanks / Like

What street? I find this hard to believe after signing a two year extension.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What street? I find this hard to believe after signing a two year extension.
    Was just out there. As a pride/honour thing that Bevo would ‘offer’ a resignation if we missed finals. What the club does with it hypothetically??

Being that we should make finals with two more wins it’s a moot point.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks vRed, that's somewhat more palatable than more of the same.

Could all be a moot point if we don't perform well from here on in and win a final.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

17. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    One other point lost in all this as well was the move to Skinner Reserve for pre season and training for most of this season. The ground was rock hard, facilities were ordinary and the players did not like going there. Hopefully the new state of the art facilities will see a boost in enthusiasm as well.
    How dare you have a go at skinners , that is all through the history of the bulldogs practice matches and the fact I played at sunshine and grew up living on that ground has no bearing on my statement :-)
    Bring back the biff

19. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    How dare you have a go at skinners , that is all through the history of the bulldogs practice matches and the fact I played at sunshine and grew up living on that ground has no bearing on my statement :-)
    I have been kicking the footy there with my daughter, they did a great job with the upgrade.

Also got a red card playing soccer there back in the day.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    ...they are looking to move Bevo into more of the Hinkley style coaching role, next season they are looking at setting him as the motivator, managing player relationships, rev ups, on the boundary line on game day etc, they want a host of experienced assistant coaches to set our ''game style'' and run the ''game plan'' on match day with Bevo taking a backseat to actual tactics...
    Just out of interest, is this something Bevo is on board with?

I?m not really sure what the ?Hinkley model? is but I suspect it was thought of somewhat differently before port lost 4 - that?s right, FOUR - in a row!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.