Thanks Thanks:  345
Likes Likes:  1,797
Page 51 of 147 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharp Axes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Using averages a bit cute. He's ranked 12th for goals kicked.

That doesn't mean he should be paid $1M per year though.
    Cute? Other players with less games played have kicked the same or only slightly less. It’s a fair contrast.

But we agree, he shouldn’t be paid $1M+ to average less than 2 goals a game. That’s modern day Carey money and despite his marking, he’s not Carey.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We did - Treloar in the second half.

The problem being it was 30 minutes too late, and it was the wrong player to go to him.
    I've never seen him do a run with.

That's a bad coaching decision IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Cute? Other players with less games played have kicked the same or only slightly less. It’s a fair contrast.

But we agree, he shouldn’t be paid $1M+ to average less than 2 goals a game. That’s modern day Carey money and despite his marking, he’s not Carey.
    Yes, cute! I accuse you of being such to articulate a point on purpose!

To me the highest paid forwards can convert and also use their feet to great advantage in general play. Aaron can't do that and his compensation should align with that. That doesn't mean get rid of him, but also it doesn't mean overpay.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yes, cute! I accuse you of being such to articulate a point on purpose!

To me the highest paid forwards can convert and also use their feet to great advantage in general play. Aaron can't do that and his compensation should align with that. That doesn't mean get rid of him, but also it doesn't mean overpay.
    Sir, for attacking my honour, you have been challenged to a duel. Pistols at dawn.

If I sleep in, please just shoot yourself in the arms and say I did it. I’ll back you up.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sir, for attacking my honour, you have been challenged to a duel. Pistols at dawn.

If I sleep in, please just shoot yourself in the arms and say I did it. I’ll back you up.
    Nets or nothing. You know this.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Likes bulldogtragic, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Nets or nothing. You know this.
    Nothing. I can’t be ****ed talking about Naughtons garbage goal kicking and huge salary expectations any more. Only the bulldogs would draft the best defender in a draft, turn him into a forward who can’t kick simple goals and then pay him millions as games are lost in part off his boot. He won’t be moved back. So let’s just pay him whatever. High five his big marks and lament him shanking easy shots until he retires. I’m over him and his average of 1.9 goals game - 22nd in the league. At $1.1M that’s $22,000 a goal if he hits 50 a season. That’s crazy. But yeah for us.

10. Likes Rocket Science, Dry Rot, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing. I can’t be ****ed talking about Naughtons garbage goal kicking and huge salary expectations any more. Only the bulldogs would draft the best defender in a draft, turn him into a forward who can’t kick simple goals and then pay him millions as games are lost in part off his boot. He won’t be moved back. So let’s just pay him whatever. High five his big marks and lament him shanking easy shots until he retires. I’m over him and his average of 1.9 goals game - 22nd in the league. At $1.1M that’s $22,000 a goal if he hits 50 a season. That’s crazy. But yeah for us.
    Naughton has improved his goal kicking this year and is sitting at 57% accuracy, but he has also contributed 19 goal assist along with his 40 goals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Naughton has improved his goal kicking this year and is sitting at 57% accuracy, but he has also contributed 19 goal assist along with his 40 goals.
    Missed three yesterday in a half goal loss. As I say, $1.1M a season is $22,000 a goal for a 50 goal season.

Not worth paying $22,000 per goal kicked.

Post Thanks / Like

Missed three yesterday in a half goal loss. As I say, $1.1M a season is $22,000 a goal for a 50 goal season.

Not worth paying $22,000 per goal kicked.
    Where does $1.1m come from
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Where does $1.1m come from
    The expected salary he can demand on the open market. Ralphy says he’s in circa $850,00 now. A pay rise and CBA rise puts him at least around $1.1M. Someone like a WCE could conceivably offer more. If he stays for cheap, that’d be still $1M or around $20,000 a goal. Which isn’t that cheap. Guys on that cash need to win games off their own boot multiple times a year (ie Bont). He doesn’t do that nearly enough, as evidenced in the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

In a must win game on Sunday our 3 main forwards in Naughton Ugle Hagen and in particular Weightman were
    virtually non existent. There has been too much reliance on too few players such as Libba Bont and Treloar.
    With Libba out of the match early apart from Bont we were very poor in our midfield normally our greatest strength.

17. Likes bornadog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Moving Naughton to CHB will surely come into considerations this pre-season. With Jamarra coming along nicely, Lobb starting to show some form and Darcy not far off, it makes a lot more sense than it did this time last year, and it certainly doesn't make sense in-season.

Personally I think he's probably a better forward than defender but can see the merit in the shift given our personnel woes down back.

His ground level pressure and assists up forward are hugely underrated, he does more in this regard than most other key forwards. Having said that, I'll admit that his conversion is a big concern. Might be going at reasonable raw accuracy but he gets much better looks than most. Champion Data have highlighted him multiple times over the last couple of years as the worst shot on goal in the league based on expectation.

More broadly I'm a bit concerned about key position bloat on the list. Bruce, Gardner, Keath and O'Brien are all guys that wouldn't be getting a game elsewhere. Up forward we have a log jam with Darcy and Khamis not getting games, and Croft about to arrive. It might mean some tough decisions but we need to cut the fat and opt for quality over quantity. That we're talking about shifting Naughton back while we already have 7 key defenders on the list says it all really.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

19. Likes josie, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I will maintain forever that you can't coach effort.
    Is motivating players coaching them? That goes hand in hand with effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    In a must win game on Sunday our 3 main forwards in Naughton Ugle Hagen and in particular Weightman were
    virtually non existent. There has been too much reliance on too few players such as Libba Bont and Treloar.
    With Libba out of the match early apart from Bont we were very poor in our midfield normally our greatest strength.
    Interestingly, 2 games earlier we had Naughton, Weightman, JUH and Lobb combine for the spectacular total of 2 goals. It was close to a dress rehearsal for Sunday. Oh wait, they actually improved. But we still lost by less than a goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Is motivating players coaching them? That goes hand in hand with effort.
    When it is 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter, no player is thinking about the story the coach told them before the game about eskimos and seals (sic). What they are doing is:

1/. Supporting their team-mates and helping make them better.
    2/. Representing themselves with pride/fear of failure.

You don't coach effort. You coach skills, gameplan and provide the group with a unified purpose. Effort comes from within. If you think otherwise you're kidding yourself.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

23. Likes bulldogtragic, JanLorMill, DOG GOD liked this post