Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  72
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the fix?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the fix?

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Terrific assessment and perspective re: solution.

The issue for me is, they won’t. We won’t see that, because the pattern of behaviour consistently tells us that this group will wilt.I can’t trust that they’ll fight tooth and nail for the best outcome and I can’t trust that the coach has set them up for success, because he hasn’t been able to address this pattern of behaviour over an Olympiad.
    If we as supporters can't trust the team on field, how do their respective teammates trust each other?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Terrific assessment and perspective re: solution.

The issue for me is, they won’t. We won’t see that, because the pattern of behaviour consistently tells us that this group will wilt.I can’t trust that they’ll fight tooth and nail for the best outcome and I can’t trust that the coach has set them up for success, because he hasn’t been able to address this pattern of behaviour over an Olympiad.
    Yeah this list is completely untrustworthy and we either have a team of dumb footballers or Bevo is not teaching them in a way they understand.

I don't know what the answer is but it very much appears to me to be a confidence in their own ability / psychological issue. It happens again and again and again. Saturday night is the worst I've seen us in a very long time and Garcia, McNeil and West at. al. are not going to change that. They may set examples but but they're all mediocre young players. It has to be better at the top.

We'll beat the Saints next week and then trundle through the season beating most teams around us and pulling out a 'our Grand Final' win late in the season against a top 4 side. Sounds good but we're bound to drop two games against bottom 4 teams just to balance it all out.

It's what happens because regardless of the talent on the list the issue is upstairs and until we remedy that we're an 8-12 team. Is it just bumbling around a new game plan? I'm not convinced most of the utter crap we witnessed on Saturday night we're jittery skills errors. It was frankly embarrassing.

Would be stoked to be proven wrong and go on and win the next 4 but history suggests otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah this list is completely untrustworthy and we either have a team of dumb footballers or Bevo is not teaching them in a way they understand.

I don't know what the answer is but it very much appears to me to be a confidence in their own ability / psychological issue. It happens again and again and again. Saturday night is the worst I've seen us in a very long time and Garcia, McNeil and West at. al. are not going to change that. They may set examples but but they're all mediocre young players. It has to be better at the top.

We'll beat the Saints next week and then trundle through the season beating most teams around us and pulling out a 'our Grand Final' win late in the season against a top 4 side. Sounds good but we're bound to drop two games against bottom 4 teams just to balance it all out.

It's what happens because regardless of the talent on the list the issue is upstairs and until we remedy that we're an 8-12 team. Is it just bumbling around a new game plan? I'm not convinced most of the utter crap we witnessed on Saturday night we're jittery skills errors. It was frankly embarrassing.

Would be stoked to be proven wrong and go on and win the next 4 but history suggests otherwise.
    Ross Lyon coaching the Saints gives me nightmares. I'm not so sure we win next week unless something significant changes for us.

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These run ons from oppositions clearing the centre bounce with their strong mids has happened so many times. The club has to try something different, including a hard tag and sacrificing one’s own stats. If we don’t address it we won’t make top 4 and struggle to make top 8. It’s so deflating. That and our all too regular woeful delivery into our F50.

I’m hoping Lade can speak up and change this now, not when season is dead and buried and we’ve wasted another year of prime Bont. I’m worried we’ll start to disenfranchise Naughts and he’ll start looking at offers elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think we need a new face in the midfield. It looks stale and stagnant.

West, Garcia or even McLean. All 3 are great prospects

7. Likes josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Ross Lyon coaching the Saints gives me nightmares. I'm not so sure we win next week unless something significant changes for us.
    Totally agree…I still have nightmares of that Ross Lyon lead saints in those prelims.
    Even with that injury list, it would not surprise me at all.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derb View Post
    I honestly think we need a new face in the midfield. It looks stale and stagnant.

West, Garcia or even McLean. All 3 are great prospects
    Who gets sacrificed?

Of our 5 core mids (Bont, Macrae, Libba, Treloar and Smith) the lowest output in terms of possessions was Bont with 25… not saying we don’t need a change, but what roles are one of these players transferred to?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Who gets sacrificed?

Of our 5 core mids (Bont, Macrae, Libba, Treloar and Smith) the lowest output in terms of possessions was Bont with 25… not saying we don’t need a change, but what roles are one of these players transferred to?
    Smith to the Wing for West in the centre for the bounces? Has to show form though to be picked.

Aside from that, the gaping whole going into the game was the crumbers up forward, given the injuries (West, Jones, Vandermeer and probably lack of form of West and Garcia (or else why did they not get picked ahead of Hannan).

11. Likes derb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who gets sacrificed?

Sacrifice them all. None had a defensive bone in their body. Get a few in there that will sacrifice their stats for the good of the team. Macrae to a wing would be my first move.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

13. Likes azabob, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Agree and he will be happy for us to bomb it long as he will have 18 players down back. He will then open up in the last 15 minutes of the 4th quarter. We won't know how to handle it.

15. Likes derb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who gets sacrificed?

I'm leaning towards Smith.

He's played his best in 2021 as a wing with the occasional centre bounce attendance.

The biggest question is who do we choose: west or Garcia?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derb View Post
    I'm leaning towards Smith.

He's played his best in 2021 as a wing with the occasional centre bounce attendance.

The biggest question is who do we choose: west or Garcia?
    Has to be West doesnt it?

18. Likes derb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We need a tagger. A guy who has limitations - perhaps many limitations - but throws himself at every contest as an instinct, not an instruction.
    I know he has flaws but is it time to get West up to speed as a tagger rather than a forward?
    We nail easy set shots and we're actually level at 3/4 time - stop a few of their 'clean' clearances, same deal. Libba has done it sometimes but we need him hunting the ball. Bont isn't quick, and Macrae is an accumulator not a stopper.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A couple of years back I mentioned that Hewett should have been our target and could be a tagger for us given that ethic of attack and defense could have been invaluable for us. Someone like Ports Drew could be a decent option as well.
    Unless we are prepared to utilise someone in that role then it's probably pointless chasing a tagger.
    Why do we need Libba hunting the ball, instead of having a bit of balance in his game and occasionally holding back instead of going all out attack? He's played defencively or neutrally before, what's changed other than instruction or ego?

Jack has shown he can win a ground ball and also play defencively, what's stopping him from sharing that load? Is it instruction or ego?

How do you play a Hewitt type if you've already got to feed midfield minutes to Bont, Libba, Macrae, Treloar and Smith? We just need our current players to sacrifice a part of their games, sometimes, and things will be OK. I'm sick of the excuses.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Why do we need Libba hunting the ball, instead of having a bit of balance in his game and occasionally holding back instead of going all out attack? He's played defencively or neutrally before, what's changed other than instruction or ego?

Jack has shown he can win a ground ball and also play defencively, what's stopping him from sharing that load? Is it instruction or ego?

How do you play a Hewitt type if you've already got to feed midfield minutes to Bont, Libba, Macrae, Treloar and Smith? We just need our current players to sacrifice a part of their games, sometimes, and things will be OK. I'm sick of the excuses.
    Hewett at Sydney was a back flanker and mid. My initial opinion on him when he looked likely to leave Sydney was to use him off HB and have him take some lock down roles in our midfield. We don't appear to want players to make sacrifices to their natural game and I think it hurts us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Hewett at Sydney was a back flanker and mid. My initial opinion on him when he looked likely to leave Sydney was to use him off HB and have him take some lock down roles in our midfield. We don't appear to want players to make sacrifices to their natural game and I think it hurts us.
    We're absolutely aligned here in terms of it hurting us, however, it would be completely insane for the coaching not to at least plan for the odd occasion where being neutral or defencive is prioritised.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.