Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  72
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What's the fix?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the fix?

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Why do we need Libba hunting the ball, instead of having a bit of balance in his game and occasionally holding back instead of going all out attack? He's played defencively or neutrally before, what's changed other than instruction or ego?

Jack has shown he can win a ground ball and also play defencively, what's stopping him from sharing that load? Is it instruction or ego?

How do you play a Hewitt type if you've already got to feed midfield minutes to Bont, Libba, Macrae, Treloar and Smith? We just need our current players to sacrifice a part of their games, sometimes, and things will be OK. I'm sick of the excuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We don't appear to want players to make sacrifices to their natural game and I think it hurts us.
    How much does Beveridge ego play into it?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    How much does Beveridge ego play into it?
    Not sure, I wonder if has just come to the realization that he doesn't have the cattle capable of sacrificing their games.
    I don't think we like to win ugly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we like to win
    ^^^^

4. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure, I wonder if has just come to the realization that he doesn't have the cattle capable of sacrificing their games.
    I don't think we like to win ugly.
    I'm not sure that's the case mate.

I think people will make incredible sacrifices to achieve things they believe are important...but someone has to ASK them too...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I think people will make incredible sacrifices to achieve things they believe are important...but someone has to ASK them too...
    You're probably right but all the rumors of Dunks not wanting to ruck and English not wanting to play forward much that we seemed to have accommodated. We also have a midfield with a number of A grade players who don't tighten up when the game seems to warrant it or play specific roles has me baffled if we've tried and just thought attack is our only option.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought I had on a 'solution' relates to what I have read on the pre-season training thread. By the descriptions we seemed to train a lot for executing under pressure. I wonder if we were doing a lot of practice of applying extreme and intense pressure? Thinking back to the McCartney wrestling sessions. Question for the regular training watchers really.

8. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Curly5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I read this from Rory Laird this morning and thought of your comments on this thread.

“GWS didn’t put a hard tag on, but made an emphasis around stoppages not to (let us) get any connection,” Laird said. “Not only with me, but we found it hard throughout the whole midfield to get some ruck-mid connect. Credit to them, they beat us not only around the ground, but especially at CB (centre bounces). They played it really well and I struggled to get involved within the game.”

The Crows superstar was also asked about what GWS did specifically to shut down their midfield’s connection and what adjustments he can make personally for next time if it happens again.

“I probably could’ve gotten on the move a bit more personally and actually look to get through the stoppage and move around a bit more. I struggled to actually cover the ground on the weekend. The conditions I found really challenging personally, and I think a lot of guys did on both teams. There was a lot of cramping going on by the end of the game.

“I probably could’ve been on the move a bit more or looked to free up someone else. I probably made it easier for them to be able to sit on me and there’s some big bodies in there (GWS mids), so I had to get off them a bit more,” Laird said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    There’s no fix apart from sticking at it. You don’t train all preseason then change after 1 match.

We have to assume the coaches know why things are happening, and they’re trying to get the players to change a few things in order to get it right.
    We're going to want to see a better effort this week, against a previously lowlyteam that's up and about, with a new coach. Otherwise it's seriously worrying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Curly5 View Post
    We're going to want to see a better effort this week, against a previously lowlyteam that's up and about, with a new coach. Otherwise it's seriously worrying.
    It was such a poor result for us that unfortunately another poor performance against the Saints will get amplified.