Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  75
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What - the glass is half full??!

The game we beat Dees last year we kicked hard, low, zig zagging kicks. A bit like what Pies did last year and last week.

I’d like to think we can be brave like that again. Yes there will be a few clangers but we won’t match it with the best without a bit of derring do. So I’m glass half full Bevo & Team can turn it around this week and have us feeling positive.

2. Likes GVGjr, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Glass may have been half full but it has a hole in the bottom

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you you all a story.

It's 1987. Round 3 has just been completed and we are dead last on the ladder 0-3. Our results were;

R1: Dogs to lose to Essendon by 59 points

R2: Dogs lose to Sydney by 108 points (27.25.187 to 11.13.79)

R3: Dogs lose to Carlton by 87 points

Prior to this, to finish off the 1986 season with the Dogs a chance to go back to back finals for the first time since forever,

R21: Dogs lose to Carlton by 79 points. (The Brad Hardie jumper waving game)

R22: Dogs lose to Hawthorn by 70 points.

5 absolute smashings in a row. We were so optimistic after 1985 that the Bulldogs were going to become a great side at long last. What was happening? The club is crumbling again, Malthouse is under pressure.

Come Round 4 the desperate and hopeless Bulldogs were about to face the reigning & undefeated premier Hawthorn. The hawks had won their opening 3 games of the season by 45, 62 & 77 points. On their way to winning the premiership in 86 they were dishing out spankings regularly including a 135 point belting to Geelong. What chance did we have?

R4: Footscray 14.12.96 defeated Hawthorn 7.13.55. dogs win by 41 points.

Don't ask me how it works. Footy is a funny and unpredictable game. We got our season back on track and going into round 22 were playing for a spot in the finals. There is no fairytale ending. But we fought out the season and gave ourselves a chance.

Like everyone I'm not happy with how we are travelling at the moment but I'm not joining in on the Bevo pile on. He deserves a chance to pull us out of the fire. After all, he has been good enough to get us to 2 grand finals, something no one before him has been able to achieve for us in the VFL/AFL.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 26-03-2023 at 05:27 PM.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

7. Thanks GVGjr, SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Still?
    Qtr full

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

It's 1987. Round 3 has just been completed and we are dead last on the ladder 0-3. Our results were;

Prior to this, to finish off the 1986 season with the Dogs a chance to go back to back finals for the first time since forever,

5 absolute smashings in a row. We were so optimistic after 1985 that the Bulldogs were going to become a great side at long last. What was happening? The club is crumbling again, Malthouse is under pressure.

Come Round 4 the desperate and hopeless Bulldogs were about to face the reigning & undefeated premier Hawthorn. The hawks had won their opening 3 games of the season by 45, 62 & 77 points. On their way to winning the premiership in 86 they were dishing out spankings regularly including a 135 point belting to Geelong. What chance did we have?

Don't ask me how it works. Footy is a funny and unpredictable game. We got our season back on track and going into round 22 were playing for a spot in the finals. There is no fairytale ending. But we fought out the season and gave ourselves a chance.

Like everyone I'm not happy with how we are travelling at the moment but I'm not joining in on the Bevo pile on. He deserves a chance to pull us out of the fire. He has been good enough to get us to 2 grand finals something no one before him has achieved in the VFL/AFL.
    All well and good but we didn’t make finals in 1987 or with Malthouse ever again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    All well and good but we didn’t make finals in 1987 or with Malthouse ever again.
    True, but that isn't quite the point. The point is we have a proven coach who has lifted us up when we were down. Like Malthouse, he deserves a chance to turn it around. After all he achieved much more for us than Malthouse did.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

12. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True, but that isn't quite the point. The point is we have a proven coach who has lifted us up when we were down. Like Malthouse, he deserves a chance to turn it around. After all he achieved much more for us than Malthouse did.
    We certainly aren't this bad.

Rd 1, well we played almost the best side so most of us can cop that one.
    Last night was terrible, however we have made adjustments over the off season and these things can take time. Somehow Ross the boss can make it happen straight away that can be the new coach thing though.

We definitely needed the two practise games we seem to have stuffed that up.

Let's give them a chance to see if they can implement what the coaches are trying to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone I'm not happy with how we are travelling at the moment but I'm not joining in on the Bevo pile on. He deserves a chance to pull us out of the fire. He has been good enough to get us to 2 grand finals something no one before him has achieved in the VFL/AFL.
    Good post Doc. People are venting because they are disappointed and rightly so, and lots of posts (which I haven't read and won't) are based on emotion - can't help that, footy is an emotional sport.

I will there on Thursday to back the boys, because right now we are all hurting and they need support.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes josie, WBFC4FFC, Bulldog4life, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes with a way better list than Malthouse had.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Yes with a way better list than Malthouse had.
    Malthouse could also keep his list performing from year to year. 92 Premiers, 93 Prelim, & 94 Premiers, with WCE. Back to back GFs vs Brisbane at Collingwood and again back to back against Geelong and the two against St Kilda with the eventual win - with prelims on either side of the GFs. It would be nice to have a Malthouse type track record of running talented lists deep into September year after year.

As an honest question, how has Bevo been unable to take this list deep into September year on year? Or have we overrated the list?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Malthouse could also keep his list performing from year to year. 92 Premiers, 93 Prelim, & 94 Premiers, with WCE. Back to back GFs vs Brisbane at Collingwood and again back to back against Geelong and the two against St Kilda with the eventual win - with prelims on either side of the GFs. It would be nice to have a Malthouse type track record of running talented lists deep into September year after year.

As an honest question, how has Bevo been unable to take this list deep into September year on year? Or have we overrated the list?
    I don't think it's a case of overrating the list and it's more about why we keep marginal players longer than we should. What are the reasons behind so many state league players coming in rather than continually building through the draft?
    I'd really like to know is if it's Bevo or the recruitment team that recommends holding onto the players.

The fact that we chased a 30 and a 32yo indicates the club thought it had a strong enough list that just needed some additional KP options and I'd like to see some data behind those decisions. I mentioned during the trade period when our interest in Lobb was evident that we needed him or someone like him more for the 2022 season more than 2023 because Bruce would be returning.
    I'd also like to know why we run so thin most years for ruck options.
    Our list has enough A graders but perhaps not enough B graders.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We overrate the list. Every year we talk about how good our midfield is on paper, but in reality it's just that. Good on paper - continually outworked by "more blue collar" outfits. Each of those years we bemoan how we lack quality ruck depth or a genuine stoppage ruck, we acknowledge our lack of quality on the wings, and we talk about our deficiencies in defence from a tall defender perspective, and our inconsistency with tall forwards who have no support from competent ground level forwards.

But then at the same time we all think we should be wining flags every year or finishing top four every year.

None of it makes any sense!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We overrate the list. Every year we talk about how good our midfield is on paper, but in reality it's just that. Good on paper - continually outworked by "more blue collar" outfits. Each of those years we bemoan how we lack quality ruck depth or a genuine stoppage ruck, we acknowledge our lack of quality on the wings, and we talk about our deficiencies in defence from a tall defender perspective, and our inconsistency with tall forwards who have no support from competent ground level forwards.

But then at the same time we all think we should be wining flags every year or finishing top four every year.

None of it makes any sense!
    Jackie Chiles!!

Edit: When did we last finish top 4? My memory fails me. Under Bevo though?

21. Likes jeemak, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackie Chiles!!

Edit: When did we last finish top 4? My memory fails me. Under Bevo though?
    Never under Bevo.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

23. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post