Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Never under Bevo.
    I’d hazard a guess at 2010.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What - the glass is half full??!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Jackie Chiles!!

Edit: When did we last finish top 4? My memory fails me. Under Bevo though?
    2017 was an extremely disappointing year, and while we made the grand final in 2021 I think we really let ourselves down by not keeping our minds in it in the last few rounds. They were the big chances to make top four for mine.

I still can't figure out last year, but there's enough murmurings out and about that things among the players were all but cooked.

Winning 15 games in 2016 with the injuries we had was a magnificent effort and that used to be a sufficient number to get you into the top four anyway.

Not making excuses, other than to say it's bloody hard to get into the top four and it's getting harder each year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    2017 was an extremely disappointing year, and while we made the grand final in 2021 I think we really let ourselves down by not keeping our minds in it in the last few rounds. They were the big chances to make top four for mine.

I still can't figure out last year, but there's enough murmurings out and about that things among the players were all but cooked.

Winning 15 games in 2016 with the injuries we had was a magnificent effort and that used to be a sufficient number to get you into the top four anyway.

Not making excuses, other than to say it's bloody hard to get into the top four and it's getting harder each year.
    Fair point Jackie. But how with the players we’ve had since 2010 have we not done it? Seems quirky.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Fair point Jackie. But how with the players we’ve had since 2010 have we not done it? Seems quirky.
    Well I guess what I'm saying is we should have in 2016/2017 all things being equal, but after that we rebuilt and were as good as anyone outside of a few games at the end of 2021 and that was that. We missed out.

Last year was a shit show.

As supporters we want it both ways. We want to be able to shit on the coaching, the recruiting, the personnel, yet at the same time we want to shit on the club for not making top four every year whilst ignoring that other clubs might also be good.

It's what makes footy great. The irrational hopes and beliefs of supporters are literally the only thing keeping the Ponzi scheme afloat!

6. Likes josie, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess what I'm saying is we should have in 2016/2017 all things being equal, but after that we rebuilt and were as good as anyone outside of a few games at the end of 2021 and that was that. We missed out.

Last year was a shit show.

As supporters we want it both ways. We want to be able to shit on the coaching, the recruiting, the personnel, yet at the same time we want to shit on the club for not making top four every year whilst ignoring that other clubs might also be good.

It's what makes footy great. The irrational hopes and beliefs of supporters are literally the only thing keeping the Ponzi scheme afloat!
    We did stuff up in 2021 with the last few rounds, but ended up outside the 4 by .01%(something) or another goal would have pushed us into 4th
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We did stuff up in 2021 with the last few rounds, but ended up outside the 4 by .01%(something) or another goal would have pushed us into 4th
    Or 23 less seconds on the clock up north! Which was totally fine and definitely not worth worrying about.

9. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't you used to call Greystache Ricky?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Didn't you used to call Greystache Ricky?
    Yep! He was actually Rick Astley. A little known fact…

Great memory.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

End of 16 we were 19 and 7 equal best with the Swans.

Post Thanks / Like

Malthouse could also keep his list performing from year to year. 92 Premiers, 93 Prelim, & 94 Premiers, with WCE. Back to back GFs vs Brisbane at Collingwood and again back to back against Geelong and the two against St Kilda with the eventual win - with prelims on either side of the GFs. It would be nice to have a Malthouse type track record of running talented lists deep into September year after year.

As an honest question, how has Bevo been unable to take this list deep into September year on year? Or have we overrated the list?
    For starters with us Malthouse never had a once in generation player like Bont. Beasley was good but I think Naughton is better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    For starters with us Malthouse never had a once in generation player like Bont. Beasley was good but I think Naughton is better.
    Doug Hawkins enters the room - cough, cough
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep! He was actually Rick Astley. A little known fact…

Great memory.
    I can remember checking a whole heap of your posts to try and work out the Ricky reference but I must have missed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo is right under the spot light at the moment but could you imagine the pressure level if he wasn't signed yet?

It's going to be a long week for the club and Bevo I feel.

18. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Doug Hawkins was pretty good, while Beaser kicked the most goals in the 80's and would nail them from twenty metres out like Naughton can't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We certainly aren't this bad.

Rd 1, well we played almost the best side so most of us can cop that one.
    Last night was terrible, however we have made adjustments over the off season and these things can take time. Somehow Ross the boss can make it happen straight away that can be the new coach thing though.

We definitely needed the two practise games we seem to have stuffed that up.

Let's give them a chance to see if they can implement what the coaches are trying to do.
    Besides a change in personnel, I cannot see any change/adjustment to the way we are playing... or should be playing. Surely if we had been training for 3-4 months to implement new strategies that something would be visible across 240min of footy...am I missing something?

21. Likes SonofScray liked this post