Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Effort

Post Thanks / Like

Effort

Over the years there have been odd comments on WOOF about player effort during a match and even this season it was brought up by MJP and GVGjr. I know MJP has commented on effort a lot over the years. It is an interesting topic and one worth discussing.

If you go back to 2016, the men of mayhem was all about putting in that extra effort to get to the next contest.
    Guys like Dahl were incredible pushing themselves from one contest to another. I don't think Dahl had many great skills but what made him back then was his effort. Same can be said about Libba Senior for those that saw him. However, it was not sustainable for the 2016 team. The motivation, the willingness, the effort is hard to sustain.

Then you get guys like Schache, Lew Young, who look lethargic and seemingly don't put that extra effort in. L Young was very disappointing last Thursday when he should have killed the ball when Lynch marked and goaled to level the scores. He stood back and did a half hearted attempt, instead of throwing himself into the pack.

I switched on AFL360 the other day flicking channels (I don't really watch it), but it was at the moment Lachie Neale was talking about Brisbane's loss. He said that he was very disappointed with his own game and he felt that the effort wasn't there. His energy levels were down and he hopes to turn that around.

So, can effort be taught through motivation by the coach to get that extra effort?

How do players maintain that energy level, like Neale?

Do we have players that you see, really put that effort in and do everything to get their hands on the ball?

Should recruitment be looking out for these type of players, or just skills get you through so doesn't matter.

Is effort something the on field leaders can show and lead others to lift?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Effort

Adding a young kid to the squad?
    Some players (e.g. Weightman) just "bring their own energy" too.

Who of last week's team does that? Richards perhaps?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I think the other thing that's missing from the mix, and goes hand-in-hand with effort, is aggression.

The side we put out in round 1 felt too nice. Pickett went outside the rules of the game, but even putting aside his hit on Smith, his game was full of aggression at the ball and at the man. He's the kind of guy that you'd absolutely hate playing against because you know you're in for a war and he's going to thrive on that. I can't think of anyone in our side who brings that to their play, outside of Libba.

Compared that to the side we put out in 2016 - Clay Smith was a terrier, Jake Stringer hit to hurt and let you know about it, Libba was Libba, Picken went as hard as anyone - the side was filtered with guys who brought hostility to their game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I think the other thing that's missing from the mix, and goes hand-in-hand with effort, is aggression.

The side we put out in round 1 felt too nice. Pickett went outside the rules of the game, but even putting aside his hit on Smith, his game was full of aggression at the ball and at the man. He's the kind of guy that you'd absolutely hate playing against because you know you're in for a war and he's going to thrive on that. I can't think of anyone in our side who brings that to their play, outside of Libba.

Compared that to the side we put out in 2016 - Clay Smith was a terrier, Jake Stringer hit to hurt and let you know about it, Libba was Libba, Picken went as hard as anyone - the side was filtered with guys who brought hostility to their game.
    There is something in that. Nothing lifts the effort of players is defending a team mate that is getting under the opposition and they're targeting.
    Sometimes just starting a push and shove melee can lift the work rate of team mates.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wall of Biggs too?

I?d like to see Arty, Clarke & Weightman in with the three talls when fit and in form. There?s an excitement and energy that feeds into others like Marra and Darcy, and let Naughty be the big dog for the pups. Excitement has been infectious since Bevo got here. Time to find it again. Young pups on a mission together did hope will at least bring the effort, and set the tone.

Plus, natural forwards playing as forwards.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Wall of Biggs too?

I?d like to see Arty, Clarke & Weightman in with the three talls when fit and in form. There?s an excitement and energy that feeds into others like Marra and Darcy, and let Naughty be the big dog for the pups. Excitement has been infectious since Bevo got here. Time to find it again. Young pups on a mission together did hope will at least bring the effort, and set the tone.

Plus, natural forwards playing as forwards.
    Agree with this.

The side looks a little stale and from the outside looking in we just haven't recovered our energy or spirit to the levels needed since that GF loss.

I mentioned it in another thread but I think much of it is personnel based. Adding players who BRING energy (Arty, Weightman, Clarke) is part of the solution, but we're hamstrung given those three are either injured or very raw.
    W00F!

8. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I think of effort I think there needs to be a reason why the effort needs to be made. Coaches can talk about Premierships, playing for your team mates, playing for the jumper, or break it down to 4pts etc. but for many (all) players football is first and foremost a living, and I'm sure there are many players in the AFL who do enough each week to get picked but perhaps only run at 90-95% effort. I believe it's that 5-10% that matters. I'm purely speculating though.

How as a coaching group do you squeeze that extra 5-10% of effort out of a player when it doesn't come naturally? I don't know the answer to this because I'm not smart enough but I believe it has to come from a bigger picture and it needs to come from the head coach. But you also need strong leaders. I think that extra effort comes from a buy in principle that the head coach needs to drive. He / she needs to form a whole bunch of different individual relationships with support staff and players, create an environment with clear on-field and off-field rules / guidelines and make each and every member of the club feel valuable and be held accountable for their actions. He / she needs to create a product and then ask his / her players to help him / her sell it. That's a good starting point. I'm sure that all clubs strive to do this but I just think there is no one size that fits all and that's why we get relatively high coach turnovers in the AFL. It's something that coaches need to 'crack'.

Having players naturally disposed to a strong work ethic helps. I think it's impossible to put together an entire team of highly skilled players with a strong work ethic but you don't need to, you just need enough key players who are prepared to buy in and do it to make that 5-10% of difference. Others will always follow.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agree with this.

The side looks a little stale and from the outside looking in we just haven't recovered our energy or spirit to the levels needed since that GF loss.

I mentioned it in another thread but I think much of it is personnel based. Adding players who BRING energy (Arty, Weightman, Clarke) is part of the solution, but we're hamstrung given those three are either injured or very raw.
    But we are also playing defenders and mids as forwards to little effect, so I don’t see us losing much. Seeing 17 players rush guys kicking their first goals is a Good reminder of things. Clarke will have have haters from the get go from opposition, and love from our supporters. Let him create some ‘us and them’ with his in your face brand of forward pocket. Let’s see what happens?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Whenever I think of effort I think there needs to be a reason why the effort needs to be made. Coaches can talk about Premierships, playing for your team mates, playing for the jumper, or break it down to 4pts etc. but for many (all) players football is first and foremost a living, and I'm sure there are many players in the AFL who do enough each week to get picked but perhaps only run at 90-95% effort. I believe it's that 5-10% that matters. I'm purely speculating though.

How as a coaching group do you squeeze that extra 5-10% of effort out of a player when it doesn't come naturally? I don't know the answer to this because I'm not smart enough but I believe it has to come from a bigger picture and it needs to come from the head coach. I think that extra effort comes from a buy in principle that the head coach needs to drive. He / she needs to form a whole bunch of different individual relationships with support staff and players, create an environment with clear on-field and off-field rules / guidelines and make each and every member of the club feel valuable and be held accountable for their actions. He / she needs to create a product and then ask his / her players to help him / her sell it. That's a good starting point. I'm sure that all clubs strive to do this but I just think there is no one size that fits all and that's why we get relatively high coach turnovers in the AFL. It's something that coaches need to 'crack'.

Having players naturally disposed to a strong work ethic helps. I think it's impossible to put together an entire team of highly skilled players with a strong work ethic but you don't need to, you just need enough key players who are prepared to buy in and do it to make that 5-10% of difference. Others will always follow.
    Totally agree with this.

A good example is one I mentioned more than ten years ago.

My daughter was part of the Kayak Club at her school. When she joined up with two friends, they soon made an impact. They were only 13 years old and the older girls were very stale and just muddling along. Their enthusiasm and want to be winners was infectious and suddenly the older girls thought - we won't be beaten by these up starts. The whole club followed and soon they were winning many races.

We need the club leaders, and the young upstarts as mentioned by other posters to inject that enthusiasm and make it happen.

Bring back the three amigos.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes 1eyedog, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Jake Stringer hit to hurt
    Can't agree with this. Stringer does not like body contact.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel like the team - especially the midfield looks a bit stale and habitual.

As Mofra said I'd love to see some fresh players going through there like Garcia and West and even Daniel.

Considering they are such an important driver of performance I see this as one of our biggest issues currently and an area that could really lift effort by example.

Have we still got a good reason why West and Mclean weren't in the side?

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Feel like the team - especially the midfield looks a bit stale and habitual.

As Mofra said I'd love to see some fresh players going through there like Garcia and West and even Daniel.

Considering they are such an important driver of performance I see this as one of our biggest issues currently and an area that could really lift effort by example.

Have we still got a good reason why West and Mclean weren't in the side?
    I would like to see Smith and Libba play the bad boys - play on the edge. Smith has it in him, we have seen him before get aggro.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Over the years there have been odd comments on WOOF about player effort during a match and even this season it was brought up by MJP and GVGjr. I know MJP has commented on effort a lot over the years. It is an interesting topic and one worth discussing.

If you go back to 2016, the men of mayhem was all about putting in that extra effort to get to the next contest.
    Guys like Dahl were incredible pushing themselves from one contest to another. I don't think Dahl had many great skills but what made him back then was his effort. Same can be said about Libba Senior for those that saw him. However, it was not sustainable for the 2016 team. The motivation, the willingness, the effort is hard to sustain.

Then you get guys like Schache, Lew Young, who look lethargic and seemingly don't put that extra effort in. L Young was very disappointing last Thursday when he should have killed the ball when Lynch marked and goaled to level the scores. He stood back and did a half hearted attempt, instead of throwing himself into the pack.

I switched on AFL360 the other day flicking channels (I don't really watch it), but it was at the moment Lachie Neale was talking about Brisbane's loss. He said that he was very disappointed with his own game and he felt that the effort wasn't there. His energy levels were down and he hopes to turn that around.

So, can effort be taught through motivation by the coach to get that extra effort?

How do players maintain that energy level, like Neale?

Do we have players that you see, really put that effort in and do everything to get their hands on the ball?

Should recruitment be looking out for these type of players, or just skills get you through so doesn't matter.

Is effort something the on field leaders can show and lead others to lift?
    It's a great post, but I'd add to it (and it's been said by plenty before) is that outside of Libba I don't think we have any enforcers in our current team. Nobody that makes their teammates walk taller in their presence.
    "It's over. It's all over."

20. Likes bornadog, lemmon, Grantysghost, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    It's a great post, but I'd add to it (and it's been said by plenty before) is that outside of Libba I don't think we have any enforcers in our current team. Nobody that makes their teammates walk taller in their presence.
    Whilst that is true, the post is more about players putting in effort from one contest to another, for the whole game.

Post Thanks / Like

I will maintain forever that what is acceptable in terms of effort is determined by the players.

Pushing up to the oppo ball carrier is hard - and pushing up to 'replace' your mate who has pushed up to the oppo ball carrier is even harder....and pushing up to replace your mate who has pushed up to replace your other mate who has pushed up to the oppo ball carrier is even harder. And sliding from the fatside to replace your mate who has pushed up to replace your other mate who has pushed up to replace your other mate who has pushed up to pressure the oppo ball carrier is harder still...

But you have to do it instinctively and - importantly - with intent. If you go through the motions and leave that 3m cushion then the whole deck of cards collapses...and out the back / over the top they go and an easy goal is the result.

But the players need to be demanding this of one another. Feedback from the coaches about who is doing what and whose 'fault' it is? Seriously, no-one cares...no-one. What matters is being made to feel like your efforts to work are being supported/rewarded by your on-field mates...and being desperate not to let them down. Coaches set strategy and help to 'guide' culture...but the nuts and bolts of how a team works together comes from the players and there is genuinely only so much Bevo (in this case) can do.

It's the whole "you can present the material but you can't make me care" element of being in a team that can be such a challenge for coaches...the leadership group (or whoever the leaders are whether they are in a formal 'group' or not) need to be driving this stuff...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

23. Likes Sedat, bornadog, macca, DOG GOD, josie, jeemak liked this post