Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Get to work

Post Thanks / Like

Get to work

Granted I haven't watched any of the last 2 games, which going by the stats have been utterly horrendous across all areas of our game. But are we seriously writing off this entire list and wanting to rip everything to shreds and start again a-la Hawthorn currently are, after 2 weeks? All I read all summer was how impressive our pre-season was and how sharp the players were training with new systems and proceses and under a rejuvinated coaching group. The players and the match committee don't have the right to any "rebuilding" out clause. The club has been on record saying that we are not satisfied with being a mid-table team and are fully expecting to contend for a period of time from now onwards - it is high time the players and MC get down to work in a methodical, professional manner, and quietly get on with the business that they are paid to do, that is to become the absolute best team they can be.

There is no out clause for senior management and president either. They extended the senior coach's contract without needing to do so, which is a ringing endorsement of their faith in Bevo and his methods. If there is now a complete 180 degree shift in philosophy if things continue to go pear-shaped in the next few weeks in some arse-covering exercise in optics, they are spineless cowards who should all resign in deep shame (we know they won't if that scenario was to materialise).

There is simply far too much talent on the list and too much ability and knownedge in our coaching group for the current on-field performance to be tolerated. Everybody at the club needs to shut up and get to work. I'm confident the club can and will do this - to be honest, they don't have a choice.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Thanks GVGjr, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Get to work

Really we've lost 1 game we thought we might win, and lost 1 we thought we might lose.

Win this week and we're probably back on track.

Go get em!

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree Sedat - two games in with what I believe is the worse game I have seen since the BMacc days when we couldn't kick goals and looked totally hopeless.

Let's see what the club is made of with backs to the wall. Let's see what Bevo is going to do to arrest this slump. As you say, get to work and make it happen, stay positive and it will all come together.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Totally agree Sedat - two games in with what I believe is the worse game I have seen since the BMacc days when we couldn't kick goals and looked totally hopeless.

Let's see what the club is made of with backs to the wall. Let's see what Bevo is going to do to arrest this slump. As you say, get to work and make it happen, stay positive and it will all come together.
    Most definitely is it a close watch - we have scored 9 and 5 goals in both matches. Undeniably, there's a big problem with scoring this season so far (amongst other problems already discussed in other threads).
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Most definitely is it a close watch - we have scored 9 and 5 goals in both matches. Undeniably, there's a big problem with scoring this season so far (amongst other problems already discussed in other threads).
    It really is a midfield issue - not working hard enough.

The first game, they just bombed the ball in expecting the 3 talls to mark the ball - so forward entry was crap

Saints game, we couldn't even get the ball into the f50 and when we did, again the entry was pathetic. Lyon made sure they defended very well and most of the night there were 36 players on the ball. Typical stifling tactics.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Granted I haven't watched any of the last 2 games, which going by the stats have been utterly horrendous across all areas of our game. But are we seriously writing off this entire list and wanting to rip everything to shreds and start again a-la Hawthorn currently are, after 2 weeks? All I read all summer was how impressive our pre-season was and how sharp the players were training with new systems and proceses and under a rejuvinated coaching group. The players and the match committee don't have the right to any "rebuilding" out clause. The club has been on record saying that we are not satisfied with being a mid-table team and are fully expecting to contend for a period of time from now onwards - it is high time the players and MC get down to work in a methodical, professional manner, and quietly get on with the business that they are paid to do, that is to become the absolute best team they can be.

There is no out clause for senior management and president either. They extended the senior coach's contract without needing to do so, which is a ringing endorsement of their faith in Bevo and his methods. If there is now a complete 180 degree shift in philosophy if things continue to go pear-shaped in the next few weeks in some arse-covering exercise in optics, they are spineless cowards who should all resign in deep shame (we know they won't if that scenario was to materialise).

There is simply far too much talent on the list and too much ability and knownedge in our coaching group for the current on-field performance to be tolerated. Everybody at the club needs to shut up and get to work. I'm confident the club can and will do this - to be honest, they don't have a choice.
    I'm so dead inside as a general rule Sedat that if I don't have overreaction then I have no reaction at all.

All babies and all bathwater must remain together.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Remember we lost to the Crows in Ballarat last year and still made finals. And we lost to Hawks in Tas in '21 and made the GF.

We're just one of those teams that likes to do things the hard way. Bring on the Lions!

Post Thanks / Like

There is playing badly & then there is what we produced. That was beyond bad & into a whole new category entirely.
    There was no semblance of system or a belief in a system or each other. Something is wrong. Either Bevo hasn't changed any defensive systems or players are not interested in adopting Bevos new system. Whatever it is, sort it out & like Sedat has said GET TO WORK!

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Because my relationship with the Bulldogs is probably as abusive as a parasocial one can be I will actually forgive them for everything they've done to me over the last two weeks entirely and then some if they win on Thursday.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes josie, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Really we've lost 1 game we thought we might win, and lost 1 we thought we might lose.

Win this week and we're probably back on track.

Go get em!
    Its the way we have lost. We played 10 mins of football vs the Saints and looked unbeatable, got ourselves back into the game and then failed to power forward to win it. We don't stay in the game long enough and once beaten get beaten badly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Its the way we have lost. We played 10 mins of football vs the Saints and looked unbeatable, got ourselves back into the game and then failed to power forward to win it. We don't stay in the game long enough and once beaten get beaten badly!
    Showing 10min of excellent footy is better than showing 0 mins of excellent footy.

I’m walking back into the world of blind positivity and backing us to turn it around!

15. Likes bornadog, mjp, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post