Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  138
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things I've learned - R2 vs StKilda

We are too nice we don't have enough in your face players.
    It's time to start manning up and not give the opposition too much leg rope. If you're not that quick don't give your opponent space to get further away.
    Jogging back to defense has to change if they start moving you have to start moving to not just the one chasing tail.

Also if Cordy was a big help on Ross's strategy then we haven't changed the game plan from last year.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

1. The players are no where as bonded as Beveridge would like us to believe
    2. The players are too content; happy to turn up and collect a cheque.
    3. The coaches are too content also; clearly no change in game plan or defensive intent
    4. Fitness is above the shoulders; it’s not a reason for the situation we are in. Saints were out numbering us at the contest during the first quarter.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    1. The players are no where as bonded as Beveridge would like us to believe
    2. The players are too content; happy to turn up and collect a cheque.
    3. The coaches are too content also; clearly no change in game plan or defensive intent
    4. Fitness is above the shoulders; it’s not a reason for the situation we are in. Saints were out numbering us at the contest during the first quarter.
    Can't agree with that. It would be no fun being a player at the club atm. They are playing like they aren't enjoying it as well. Yeah they get paid well but all players want to win.

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer a resignation than a sacking. The longer this festers the more damage to the club and the greater chance a rift occurs between the club and premiership coach, and that would be a terrible outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

1. I used to think that Baz’s ceiling was West Coast Chris Judd. Now I think it’s Ed Langdon and I’d be stoked if he even got there.

2. Macrae isn’t an elite midfielder anymore. Elite midfielders have to, you know, try.

3. Bevo isn’t as willing to be tactile as he used to be. It was one of his great strengths and what made him so refreshing after the curmudgeonly McCartney. There’s a hesitancy to deviate that’s permeating the playing group and leading to the scared, listless football we’re playing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    1. I used to think that Baz’s ceiling was West Coast Chris Judd. Now I think it’s Ed Langdon and I’d be stoked if he even got there.

2. Macrae isn’t an elite midfielder anymore. Elite midfielders have to, you know, try.

3. Bevo isn’t as willing to be tactile as he used to be. It was one of his great strengths and what made him so refreshing after the curmudgeonly McCartney. There’s a hesitancy to deviate that’s permeating the playing group and leading to the scared, listless football we’re playing.
    Watched a lot of Smith’s U18 footy, and honestly thought he’d be the next Dangerfield. Hadn’t been that hyped on a junior probably ever. Since entering senior footy he’s lost all his foot skills and defensive game.
    Strongly agree on point 2.

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    At 26, he should be at his peak. With the team playing so poorly, he has to be supported by another ruckman. Sweet isn?t going to look any worse.
    Sweet unfortunately looks worse when i watch him in the reserves including yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    Watched a lot of Smith’s U18 footy, and honestly thought he’d be the next Dangerfield. Hadn’t been that hyped on a junior probably ever. Since entering senior footy he’s lost all his foot skills and defensive game.
    Strongly agree on point 2.
    It's not as simple as this but Smith entered the system as a fresh faced kid with extreme discipline, who didn't drink, and who actually overtrained.

He's now questionable at best with discipline, clearly enjoys a drink/the social lifestyle, and has put a lot of time and energy into his profile.

These aren't sole reasons for his plateau, clearly he is still fit, but I'd suggest his priorities have shifted.
    W00F!

10. Likes Virgin-Dog, D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Our coaching group is deficient in being clearly unable to stop an opposition's run which loses us games e.g the 2021 GF, the 2022 debacle v Freo, Rd 1 2023 v Melbourne, Rd 2 2023 v St Kilda.
    2. The team with a couple of exceptions seems totally underdone and ill prepared in terms of match fitness, motivation or both.
    3. We still do not have a goalkicking coach but we do have an invisible President (Gordon and Smorgon would be front and centre right now).

Post Thanks / Like

1. The era of possession footy has passed. The defenders' first instinct on gaining possession is to look across the field rather than down, so the ball is chipped around at half back, ends up moving forward down the opposite wing and meanwhile the opposition has set up their defence.

2. 2nd and 3rd efforts have largely disappeared from most player's repertoire.

3. Zone defence either doesn't work or our players just can't do it properly.

13. Likes Virgin-Dog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we think this group can turn things around with a new coaching unit or does this group of players not have it and we also need a rebuild?

I think we need a rebuild. The midfield is shocking. I'd be offering up Smith for some decent draft capital.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Do we think this group can turn things around with a new coaching unit or does this group of players not have it and we also need a rebuild?

I think we need a rebuild. The midfield is shocking. I'd be offering up Smith for some decent draft capital.
    That's a good question. The Bont-Mcrae-Libber midfield worked well in the handballs-in-a-telephone-box era of possession footy, perhaps the more direct style requires faster, more mobile big-bodied mids, Oliver and Petracca. I wouldn't trade Smith, though, he's among the few who never give up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Sweet unfortunately looks worse when i watch him in the reserves including yesterday.
    It is either Sweet or we get Cordy back as second ruck.

We were happy to waste Naughton there (cost measured in goals) and we also used Darcy In the last 3 games. All ineffective results we have been happy to replay for a long time.

In the Ballarat game English was no better in the ruck duels than Sweet .

So minimal downside from where we are now. We can?t keep rehashing what?s failing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    It is either Sweet or we get Cordy back as second ruck.

We were happy to waste Naughton there (cost measured in goals) and we also used Darcy In the last 3 games. All ineffective results we have been happy to replay for a long time.

In the Ballarat game English was no better in the ruck duels than Sweet .

So minimal downside from where we are now. We can?t keep rehashing what?s failing.
    English has been our best player this year I don't really understand why we'd change the only thing that's working.
    This argument may have once had merit, pushing it now though really seems like flogging a dead horse in lieu of arguments which explain the current struggles.

18. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    That's a good question. The Bont-Mcrae-Libber midfield worked well in the handballs-in-a-telephone-box era of possession footy, perhaps the more direct style requires faster, more mobile big-bodied mids, Oliver and Petracca. I wouldn't trade Smith, though, he's among the few who never give up.
    We had Treloar and Smith in the team last week who are supposedly hard bodied explosive mids yet we still got towelled up.