please.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things I've learned - R2 vs StKilda

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Attempted to add an image.

Need help.

please.
    Go to https://postimages.org

Select "choose images" and choose image from your device.

Then once uploaded select hotlink for forums.

Hit the copy icon on the right (looks like two offset pieces of paper).

Then goto woof and paste the copied text into the body of your post and submit.

3. Thanks GVGjr, Prince Imperial, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Attempted to add an image.

Need help.

please.
    You can send me the link and I can add it for you if you like.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

https://postimg.cc/gallery/68XNLL8

not quite right, they seem to be thumbnails.

thanks for the help.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GVGjr; 27-03-2023 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Images added

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those images prove that Macrae should have forced the stoppage instead of trying to handball. He was clearly going to get tackled so should have grabbed the ball as he was being tackled - so no prior opp.

English taps the ball to Macrae, who stuffs up the handball, and they take the ball down the ground and kick a goal
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes 1eyedog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Thanks for the help.

I didn't get a page exactly the same as your first picture.

Might that be because I uploaded a set?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Those images prove that Macrae should have forced the stoppage instead of trying to handball. He was clearly going to get tackled so should have grabbed the ball as he was being tackled - so no prior opp.

English taps the ball to Macrae, who stuffs up the handball, and they take the ball down the ground and kick a goal
    English didn't tap the Ball to anyone. Macrae was behind his opponent and possibly holding him. In no way was he a target. The Bont was the obvious target with a clear path forward. but ignored. It was an error in my opinion. But I can live with your interpretation.

Post Thanks / Like

English didn't tap the Ball to anyone. Macrae was behind his opponent and possibly holding him. In no way was he a target. The Bont was the obvious target with a clear path forward. but ignored. It was an error in my opinion. But I can live with your interpretation.
    In any case, Macrae was the first to take the ball after English got the tap. (Whether intended to him or not)

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

In any case, Macrae was the first to take the ball after English got the tap. (Whether intended to him or not)
    Bit of mind reading to decide that. It looked to me like a nice tap out to Macrae.

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the images prove that Bontempelli had a terrible starting point but whatever!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Likes 1eyedog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at those images if Jack could handball right handed good possibility it would have gone to Bont.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    I don't have access to the final hit out to advantage stats but they were shown on the scoreboard a few times and at one stage were 8-3 in English's favour over Marshall. I thought overall English was one of our best.

Our mids are not adjusting to having a more competitive English and until they do we will continue to struggle.
    I remember seeing that stat and it was obvious any of our taps even those to advantage that our players were under the pump.
    I also remember seeing a clearance stat early and Marshall was easily in front.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    I remember seeing that stat and it was obvious any of our taps even those to advantage that our players were under the pump.
    I also remember seeing a clearance stat early and Marshall was easily in front.
    Tim had 12 and Marshall had 10 hitouts to advantage.

see here

Post Thanks / Like

Tim had 12 and Marshall had 10 hitouts to advantage.
    Not arguing that.
    Asking what is true tap to advantage? Melbourne style Gawn to Oliver then Petracca to goal or what I saw in the first quarter Saturday English to one of our guys under the pump, then a scrappy kick or handball for a turnover.

Post Thanks / Like

not quite right, they seem to be thumbnails.

thanks for the help.
    Image 1:

Pretty typical defensive triangle setup with Bont and 5 Saints basically rolling the dice. You can see Liber holding space on the same side as the spare Saint (5) so (in theory) he could pressure him if/as needed. Macrae is doing the same and is in a good spot to cover 5 if he were to get loose and could allow Bontempelli to take his.

Image 2:

It's a nice tap into dangerous space/Macrae's advantage. Both Saints players react (Jack's opponent and #5 who is clear which means at least one player (Bont) is still free for us. Unfortunately he is not in position to receive - David Wheedon would say he has created a 'BAD' triangle - and Macrae is really unable to safely release the ball to a team-mate.

Image 3:

Macrae is facing the goals - under pressure admittedly but facing the goals. He needs to kick at this point (as far as he can). There is potential for a miracle handball (right hand across body) into the path of Bont but I dont think that's a great idea. He needs to kick with his RIGHT FOOT.

Image 4:

Macrae has turned AWAY from our goal. At this point he is really committed to dispose of the ball or it's going to be a HTB free-kick. He has given up the right to prior opportunity by turning back into play (considered an attempt to evade). He is in trouble now. All 3x other Bulldogs (English, Bont, Libber) have not really moved from their starting position and Macrae is somehow - in a 4-v-4 contest - isolated 1-v-3.

Image 5:

Macrae has managed to dispose of the ball. Our winger (not pictured) is our only defense here and he SHOULD be pushing his direct opponent into this footy and 'owning' the outside. If he gets inside and tries (but fails) to win the ball, the ball will be in his opponents hand in one second. Bont, Liber and English still nowhere to be seen and really haven't worked this very well.

How should this have been set up?

1/. Bont comes around to the same side as Saints #5 and pushes him IN to the circle, owning the outside space.

2/. Macrae stands on the OPPOSITE side of his opponent to balance out the contest - so Liber stands as he is (closest to camera) vs his oppo and Macrae slides to the other side of his oppo - we should be BALANCED around the contest and not allow two oppo players to locate themselves between us and 'own' the space.

3/. Forget trying to hit it to advantage in CBD. It's unreliable and freakin' well undemocratic. Keep the ball INSIDE the contest and hit it as SOFTLY as possible. Mids get lower than the oppo - wingers and high forwards and backs hold their shape but DO NOT allow the oppo to impact on the contest by becoming a 5th. Priority # 1 - create a secondary stoppage with access to our numbers based stoppage game (7-v-7 or 8-v-8, not 4-v-4) and make sure any exit kick is a 'hard' out by maintain a bit of oppo integrity.

4/. If there are 3-mins to go and we're down, THEN try and isolate 1v-none and win some easy footy...but until then, fight it out.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

21. Thanks Happy Days, The bulldog tragician, azabob, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes soupman, bornadog, Mofra liked this post