Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  138
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things I've learned - R2 vs StKilda

Three? THere's so many more than three but I'll try to keep it there. Before I start though I'd like to say that I was there and I couldnt point to one player or line that I could blame. ITs a team game and team failure, including coaching despite some reasonable individual performances. I'm not saying I know whats up either, but I'll say this.
    1. No apparent game plan A that I could see, and whatever it was there was no plan B when A didnt work bacause nothing changed anywhere that I could see. I dont count using Naghton in the ruck as a change in game plan.
    2. No leading into space and no spread when in possession, and when in possession they usually went sideways or backwards allowing opposition to cover everything forward and they just bombed forward anyway. Noone pretty much leads into space not even the forwards [ok JUH did twice and Naughton once] Within this point I noticed that on occasion [quite a few actually] someone would lead or call for the ball unmanned and was ignored then a long bomb kicked to a contest = WTF?

3. Too slow - both generally [no run or spread other than chasing st kilda, and in kicking after a mark. This links into my last line of point 2.

Due to this I think either our coaching staff have no friggin idea - the game seems to have passed them or the players dont think on the field at all but follow what the coaches tell them to the letter but because the coaches have no idea the players have no idea and dont "ad lib".

How we've become apparent hasbeens so quickly is amazing but its been coming it seems for a while starting with the 21 GF then the famous GF hangover of belted teams that they talk about,[lost 5 of the first 8 in 22] sure there were a few fair games in between but mostly beating ordinary teams and being belted by good teams, culminating again v the two Freo games last year, and now two fade out games already this year. [so far]
    So, have the better teams simply worked us out and our old game plan hasnt changed [assuming we have one].? Has Bevo lost the players? They surely arent playing for him and dont seem too interested playing for each other. Why do players want to leave lately? OR are these just two [or 3] apparitions in a row?

P.S. I think the McRae bagging/analysis is way over the top considering all the other "muck ups" by almost everyone on the night

2. Thanks GVGjr, josie thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, Grantysghost, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can always do 2 x 3 things MatJoh
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Matjoh liked this post
    Hanga Guest

1.. Darcy and JUH will be ok but going to take time
    2.. Our bottom end players are mostly not up to standard
    3 .. Our kicking to advantage of a teamate was appaling only exception the bont

6. Thanks GVGjr, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, josie, chef, SonofScray, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanga View Post
    Great first up post Hanga. Nice to have you on board.

Post Thanks / Like

Point 3 so true. Both weeks this year...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Thanks for the help.

I didn't get a page exactly the same as your first picture.

Might that be because I uploaded a set?
    Yes that's probably right. Could depend on device too I think I took those shots from a mobile device so may look a little different.

Post Thanks / Like

Image 3

Bont falling over and Gresham and Crouch reacting brilliantly as defenders.

Although they did kind of honey pot it, if Bont was in a better spot he would've been an easy free target.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matjoh View Post
    P.S. I think the McRae bagging/analysis is way over the top considering all the other "muck ups" by almost everyone on the night
    There's not enough bagging of McRae.

[Macrae = 'Dogs mid. McRae = C'wood coach]

12. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Point 3 - gee we’ve made it hard for our young forwards over the journey with this.

Welcome to WOOF.

14. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[FONT="]Three? THere's so many more than three but I'll try to keep it there. Before I start though I'd like to say that I was there and I couldnt point to one player or line that I could blame. ITs a team game and team failure, including coaching despite some reasonable individual performances. I'm not saying I know whats up either, but I'll say this.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]1. No apparent game plan A that I could see, and whatever it was there was no plan B when A didnt work bacause nothing changed anywhere that I could see. I dont count using Naghton in the ruck as a change in game plan.
    2. No leading into space and no spread when in possession, and when in possession they usually went sideways or backwards allowing opposition to cover everything forward and they just bombed forward anyway. Noone pretty much leads into space not even the forwards [ok JUH did twice and Naughton once] Within this point I noticed that on occasion [quite a few actually] someone would lead or call for the ball unmanned and was ignored then a long bomb kicked to a contest = WTF?[/FONT]

[FONT="]3. Too slow - both generally [no run or spread other than chasing st kilda, and in kicking after a mark. This links into my last line of point 2.

Due to this I think either our coaching staff have no friggin idea - the game seems to have passed them or the players dont think on the field at all but follow what the coaches tell them to the letter but because the coaches have no idea the players have no idea and dont "ad lib". [/FONT]

[FONT="]
    [/FONT]

[FONT="]How we've become apparent hasbeens so quickly is amazing but its been coming it seems for a while starting with the 21 GF then the famous GF hangover of belted teams that they talk about,[lost 5 of the first 8 in 22] sure there were a few fair games in between but mostly beating ordinary teams and being belted by good teams, culminating again v the two Freo games last year, and now two fade out games already this year. [so far][/FONT]
    So, have the better teams simply worked us out and our old game plan hasnt changed [assuming we have one].? Has Bevo lost the players? They surely arent playing for him and dont seem too interested playing for each other. Why do players want to leave lately? OR are these just two [or 3] apparitions in a row?

This was very obvious in a couple of occasions between Jones and Keath. While you?d guess neither are the ones we want driving it downfield , they then kicked to a contest having ignored - though clearly saw - each other.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    There's not enough bagging of McRae.

[Macrae = 'Dogs mid. McRae = C'wood coach]
    thanks for the bagging/analysis of my mis-spelling. Especially as I'm a fan and should know better

17. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the bagging/analysis of my mis-spelling. Especially as I'm a fan and should know better
    All in fun leading up to the semis in the Smart Alec Cup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    This was very obvious in a couple of occasions between Jones and Keath. While you?d guess neither are the ones we want driving it downfield , they then kicked to a contest having ignored - though clearly saw - each other.
    On a number of occassions we had a player unmanned and just refused to use them as the first option then for whatever reason after looking for other options we would then decide to kick them but by this time they were covered and resulted in turn overs. In the past Dale or Daniel would grab the ball from kick outs/switches and move it on to advantage. They need to take the game on this week. Go with their first option and through the middle when they can and throw the ball around. They have nothing to lose.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing is for sure Woof has once again been a bastion for honest, unbiased and frank discussion about where we're currently at as a football club and has certainly helped and supported me to get through the past few days from what was a pretty shitty place Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Appreciate the perspectives, measured opinions and insights from more learned posters over the past few days. It's really helped rationalise things.

This is why the site is important Gary and why it's worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

I get that some of the discussions are over the last few days are difficult for some people but I'm happy with the manner people are sharing their opinions on WOOF. Without thrashing out some of the options with people you've grown to know and respect during difficult periods then footy can be a lonely place.
    I hope that people realise that what is confronting for some is therapeutic for others.

22. Likes 1eyedog, chef, josie liked this post