Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  30
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cornes in The Age: The damning signs that show Beveridge is steering the Dogs off course

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Assuming you are right, it's not for me to say you aren't, then you are on to him. Sift out the has-it-in-for-Bev stuff from where he might have a point. A couple of anecdotes
    (a) many years ago, I sat next to Brian Royal at a game at the MCG for a quarter, dees v dogs. I made a comment about how a couple of late goals by someone (can't remember, now) and Ilija Grgic had turned the game. In a few short sentences, Brian pointed out to me the circumstances under which those 2 goals came about, how lapses in concentration by a couple of Melbourne's defenders worked in Grgic's favour, stuff I wouldn't have ever worked out;
    (b) in an interview with Brendan McCartney commenting on Bev's coaching, McCartney observed that Bev had our defenders stand in front of their forwards (defenders mostly play from behind, now, so they can see what the forwards are up to) so that an opposition mid/high forward, bringing the ball out of defence, if under pressure, would look up and the first thing he would see would be bulldog jumpers, confusing them. There's no way I would ever have been able to work that out.
    We learn from our betters, who better at understanding footy than blokes who've played at that level, in Royal's case, and coached a bit.
    Nicely said. It is interesting to see the lens that the high achievers have on the game and taking out the emotion you can learn quite a bit. Cornes is OK and I can accept some of his criticisms.

2. Likes D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cornes in The Age: The damning signs that show Beveridge is steering the Dogs off course

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Assuming you are right, it's not for me to say you aren't, then you are on to him. Sift out the has-it-in-for-Bev stuff from where he might have a point. A couple of anecdotes
    (a) many years ago, I sat next to Brian Royal at a game at the MCG for a quarter, dees v dogs. I made a comment about how a couple of late goals by someone (can't remember, now) and Ilija Grgic had turned the game. In a few short sentences, Brian pointed out to me the circumstances under which those 2 goals came about, how lapses in concentration by a couple of Melbourne's defenders worked in Grgic's favour, stuff I wouldn't have ever worked out;
    (b) in an interview with Brendan McCartney commenting on Bev's coaching, McCartney observed that Bev had our defenders stand in front of their forwards (defenders mostly play from behind, now, so they can see what the forwards are up to) so that an opposition mid/high forward, bringing the ball out of defence, if under pressure, would look up and the first thing he would see would be bulldog jumpers, confusing them. There's no way I would ever have been able to work that out.
    We learn from our betters, who better at understanding footy than blokes who've played at that level, in Royal's case, and coached a bit.
    Agree with all that, but doesn't mean I have to like Cornes. He tries to be a shock jock and I can't stand him. That is all.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree with all that, but doesn't mean I have to like Cornes. He tries to be a shock jock and I can't stand him. That is all.
    Thanks and thanks also for the opportunity of telling those 2 stories. I've a third, same theme, a ripper but for another time. I like Cornes, I don't watch a lot of TV footy stuff, perhaps that's why. He's skinny, good humoured, doesn't talk about himself and tells self-deprecating yarns, an unlikely former footy player panelist on a TV footy show. If you ever get the opportunity to hear his account of the bewildering Ramsgate Pub post showdown incident, you'll get it, hilarious.

PS This isn't the one I heard but it's funny

https://www.afl.com.au/video/435214/...=1590040800001
    Last edited by D Mitchell; 04-04-2023 at 12:47 PM.

5. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He probably isn’t fond of your work either.

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He probably isn’t fond of your work either.
    and you know what I didn't give a flying ****
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BUT its not a personal thing for him and Beveridge as you indicated earlier. I hope we stick it right up his clacker but he does back up his comments and shares his logic.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Cornes is reasonable. I don't always agree with him and in his early media days he was more hellbent on being controversial for the sake of it, but he's toned it down.

He isn't afraid to ask questions that others don't, which I don't mind.

I don't think he has it out for Bevo, or the club - he's priased us in the past and had high expectations for our list even in the preseason.

Just because you don't agree with him, doesn't mean he's full of it. He usually articulates his reasoning OK and I think David King is similar, even if their opinions do change with the wind (but frankly, who's opinion doesn't?)
    W00F!

12. Likes SquirrelGrip, Sedat liked this post