Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cornes in The Age: The damning signs that show Beveridge is steering the Dogs off course

Not much point getting angry/disdainful/sarcastic about what a journalist writes. If Cornes thinks that Beveridge is taking the club in the wrong direction, or Thomas that Bev's stayed too long, take it as food for thought, both might have something. In 2015-2016, the mantra was that players had to be able to win their own ball. That seemed to give way to a game based on creating stoppages to gain possession then on to a retaining possession game, particularly coming out of defence. C'wood and Melbourne use a direct and aggressive kicking game. Maybe possession and handball has been bypassed and that Bev's wrong in continuing with the possession style.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Dogs 24/7, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cornes in The Age: The damning signs that show Beveridge is steering the Dogs off course

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Not much point getting angry/disdainful/sarcastic about what a journalist writes. If Cornes thinks that Beveridge is taking the club in the wrong direction, or Thomas that Bev's stayed too long, take it as food for thought, both might have something. In 2015-2016, the mantra was that players had to be able to win their own ball. That seemed to give way to a game based on creating stoppages to gain possession then on to a retaining possession game, particularly coming out of defence. C'wood and Melbourne use a direct and aggressive kicking game. Maybe possession and handball has been bypassed and that Bev's wrong in continuing with the possession style.
    He called out Lobbs poor effort in a marking contest last night and he was right. I dont mind reading critical comments as its a chance to either agree or disagree with it. Ive never understood why people get so upset about a commentator expressing their views . Some might be dickheads but who cares.

4. Likes D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Cornes has some sort of vendetta against Bevo. Every year he writes a negative article about the club, even in 2021 and then 2022 after we had been in a GF.

I don't mind reading criticism, but he seems like he has it in for Bevo so it becomes a bit personal.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Cornes has some sort of vendetta against Bevo. Every year he writes a negative article about the club, even in 2021 and then 2022 after we had been in a GF.

I don't mind reading criticism, but he seems like he has it in for Bevo so it becomes a bit personal.
    Is there anything specific that gets you to that opinion that he has it in for Bevo?
    Cornes is dogmatic no doubt and won't let things go if he thinks he's right but I guess it's his job to target clubs that aren't meeting the expectations and we might have opened the door there last year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is there anything specific that gets you to that opinion that he has it in for Bevo?
    Cornes is dogmatic no doubt and won't let things go if he thinks he's right but I guess it's his job to target clubs that aren't meeting the expectations and we might have opened the door there last year.
    The constant articles about Bevo for starters.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo is the front man of the club so he will be the focus, I was just more interested in what you've seen that makes it personal.
    He doesn't like to be proven wrong and will pick over things.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think the Cornes vendetta is against the club rather than Bevo.

It possibly stems from the incident with Will Minson in Darwin in 2008
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

You could be right BJ, maybe the club.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be from that or it could be from Bevo asking how anyone could possibly sleep next to him at night immediately after we belted his beloved footy team in their most important game in nearly 20 years.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

That's where I was heading that it's not really personal with Bevo but more about that the club has under performed for a long period and that isn't just on Bevo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    It could be from that or it could be from Bevo asking how anyone could possibly sleep next to him at night immediately after we belted his beloved footy team in their most important game in nearly 20 years.
    Oh yeah. What prompted that comment?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Oh yeah. What prompted that comment?
    Cornes’ takeaway from the best game since 2016 somehow being that Adam Treloar sucks.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Cornes’ takeaway from the best game since 2016 somehow being that Adam Treloar sucks.
    this is the sort of thing he comes up with. He is a goose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    He called out Lobbs poor effort in a marking contest last night and he was right. I dont mind reading critical comments as its a chance to either agree or disagree with it. Ive never understood why people get so upset about a commentator expressing their views . Some might be dickheads but who cares.
    When Lobby kicked those goals against us at Marvel last year he was leading into the pocket marking on his chest not from huge pack marks. Give him time for the team to get used to his leading patterns and he will be much better. Hopefully sooner than later.

19. Likes D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming you are right, it's not for me to say you aren't, then you are on to him. Sift out the has-it-in-for-Bev stuff from where he might have a point. A couple of anecdotes
    (a) many years ago, I sat next to Brian Royal at a game at the MCG for a quarter, dees v dogs. I made a comment about how a couple of late goals by someone (can't remember, now) and Ilija Grgic had turned the game. In a few short sentences, Brian pointed out to me the circumstances under which those 2 goals came about, how lapses in concentration by a couple of Melbourne's defenders worked in Grgic's favour, stuff I wouldn't have ever worked out;
    (b) in an interview with Brendan McCartney commenting on Bev's coaching, McCartney observed that Bev had our defenders stand in front of their forwards (defenders mostly play from behind, now, so they can see what the forwards are up to) so that an opposition mid/high forward, bringing the ball out of defence, if under pressure, would look up and the first thing he would see would be bulldog jumpers, confusing them. There's no way I would ever have been able to work that out.
    We learn from our betters, who better at understanding footy than blokes who've played at that level, in Royal's case, and coached a bit.

21. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Stevo liked this post