Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  164

View Poll Results: Should a coaching change be made?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, lets stick with Bevo and wait

23 38.33%
  • No, but lets prepare some options

19 31.67%
  • Maybe by mid season

5 8.33%
  • Yes, lets do it sooner than later and control our destiny

5 8.33%
  • Yes, but we should wait until we start canvassing options

2 3.33%
  • Support Bevo unconditionally

6 10.00%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge and our challenges

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Some graphs by Richard Little here These graphs show where we are at.

Sort of validates my thinking that watching Brisbane was like looking in a. mirror at some points of our game.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Yup. We are a week to week proposition. The grunt work and full ground defensive accountability was addressed this week at least (against a notionally contending opponent), so hopefully that remains the standard and we can gradually add other layers to the offensive transition and F50 connection parts of our game. We are a good team - it was important for player confidence to reinforce that on Thursday night. Can we become great?
    A win on Saturday would be huge for a return of some self belief for the players, coaches and us fans.
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Some graphs by Richard Little here These graphs show where we are at.

Richard Little, how unfortunate.
    The curse is dead.

5. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    It is possible to snigger with a face full of macaroons.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I tell no lie I worked in the same org as a Richard Head.

Doctor no less.

Takes every ounce of professionalism to tame the inner teenager when he's introduced.

9. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont feel right saying this but we should be exploring other coaching candidates just in case things dont fall our way by mid season. After 9 years at the helm he might not be prepared to adapt to a changing football environment. I watched Collingwood and they have jumped out and are playing exciting football. I feel that at some point we will need to start exploring coaching candidates even if we dont actually make any change. The people I sit near are loyal and balanced supporters with their and they are starting to ask the question about looking at other coaches.

11. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am definitely in the camp of exploring options.

The performances at Collingwood and St Kilda highlight that coaching matters.

Even Essendon and North have improved with a change of philosophy.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

13. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know you're not implying this but I think it's a case of new coach syndrome and I don't expect St Kilda, North or Essendon to play finals and expect the latter two to finish bottom 4.

St Kilda will only just miss out because they've got a draw softer than marshmallow.

More than happy to start canvassing options after round 18 if we've fallen into a black hole.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I know you're not implying this but I think it's a case of new coach syndrome and I don't expect St Kilda, North or Essendon to play finals and expect the latter two to finish bottom 4.

St Kilda will only just miss out because they've got a draw softer than marshmallow.
    I know there is an element of new coach syndrome and they may revert to type (particularly Essendon).

Collingwood have sustained a good (lucky) run in 2022 despite some serious injury troubles.
    Coaching matters and I am not convinced ours is keeping up.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Three rounds plainly don't make a season but it's quite something to dish this up having made it an explicit focus of our pre-season.

Look not to labour this but I'm actually quietly impressed we're roughly twice as leaky as the 2nd and 3rd worst Hawks & Eagles respectively after six months of mea culpas while saying - and presumably practicing - all the right things.

I also found pause for thought after the snippet of Bevo's post-game back pat to the group the club chose to release, expressing fitting pride for the collective effort with a liberal dose of 'see, this is what's you're capable of when you play that way' that almost struck me as a mild plea.

Colour me naive but you'd like to think a playing group that has found cruel and mystifying ways to soil the bed at key moments doesn't still need convincing there might be a little bit to prove, to themselves if nothing else.

I've no doubt they're being fed the right internal messages. I'm curious if they're listening.

Anyway, cue another instructive test this week.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

18. Likes Grantysghost, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Look not to labour this but I'm actually quietly impressed we're roughly twice as leaky as the 2nd and 3rd worst Hawks & Eagles respectively after six months of mea culpas while saying - and presumably practicing - all the right things.

I also found pause for thought after the snippet of Bevo's post-game back pat to the group the club chose to release, expressing fitting pride for the collective effort with a liberal dose of 'see, this is what's you're capable of when you play that way' that almost struck me as a mild plea.

Colour me naive but you'd like to think a playing group that has found cruel and mystifying ways to soil the bed at key moments doesn't still need convincing there might be a little bit to prove, to themselves if nothing else.

I've no doubt they're being fed the right internal messages. I'm curious if they're listening.

Anyway, cue another instructive test this week.
    It was odd given we get pretty much zero insider access, except little tid-bits that they decided to release this almost extended discussion post-game.

The next 3 weeks are crucial... anything worse than 2-1 will pretty much give us no chance of pushing up towards a top 4 spot which still needs to be the aim.. we watch with interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood aren't really on a level playing field given the better access to trade in players than smaller clubs get. But they are having another season of success under Macrae.

I think coaching certainly matters but there is always an element of a breath of fresh air. We had it with Beveridge. In many sports around the world there are coaches who can sustain success and others who need to move on from club to club. Mourhino might be a good example of that.

As for the saints. Well Lyon is a proven coach and he has them playing excellent football. A lot of the success is coming from battler type players. Time will tell if they can sustain it, but they've got Steele, King and Membrey all to come back. I think they will play finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

More than happy to start canvassing options after round 18 if we've fallen into a black hole.
    I think it also confirms there are still coaches out there to consider and that clubs shouldn't be frightened to make changes.
    We clearly under performed last year and given we then went out and topped up on 3 experienced players we have to hold the club to a standard and to deliver something better this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Collingwood aren't really on a level playing field given the better access to trade in players than smaller clubs get. But they are having another season of success under Macrae.

I think coaching certainly matters but there is always an element of a breath of fresh air. We had it with Beveridge. In many sports around the world there are coaches who can sustain success and others who need to move on from club to club. Mourhino might be a good example of that.

As for the saints. Well Lyon is a proven coach and he has them playing excellent football. A lot of the success is coming from battler type players. Time will tell if they can sustain it, but they've got Steele, King and Membrey all to come back. I think they will play finals.
    Who of a high standard have they traded in? Mitchell was shopped around by the Hawks, McStay is hardly a star, Hill wasn't setting the world on fire and no one was interested in Frampton. I hate to say it but they've done exceptionally well with their player development.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

23. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Who of a high standard have they traded in? Mitchell was shopped around by the Hawks, McStay is hardly a star, Hill wasn't setting the world on fire and no one was interested in Frampton. I hate to say it but they've done exceptionally well with their player development.
    They have recently done very well with player development. I agree. Probably more talking generally when star players typically nominate the big Victorian clubs when asking for a trade. I actually don't hate Collingwood at the moment.

25. Likes Stevo liked this post