Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  164

View Poll Results: Should a coaching change be made?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, lets stick with Bevo and wait

23 38.33%
  • No, but lets prepare some options

19 31.67%
  • Maybe by mid season

5 8.33%
  • Yes, lets do it sooner than later and control our destiny

5 8.33%
  • Yes, but we should wait until we start canvassing options

2 3.33%
  • Support Bevo unconditionally

6 10.00%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge and our challenges

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    They have recently done very well with player development. I agree. Probably more talking generally when star players typically nominate the big Victorian clubs when asking for a trade. I actually don't hate Collingwood at the moment.
    Playing at the MCG in front of big crowds - you can't blame them.

Some other imports are Taylor Adams, Bobby Hill, Mihocek, Jeremy Howe, Patt Lipinski, Jack Crisp, along with recent add ins
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Some other imports are Taylor Adams, Bobby Hill, Mihocek, Jeremy Howe, Patt Lipinski, Jack Crisp, along with recent add ins
    No you can't blame them and that's what I wanted to highlight. As a smaller club, we can't bring in outside talent as frequently as Collingwood and other big clubs. We are much more dependant on the draft path which takes longer and means we are less likely to sustain success as we can't bring in ready made stars to complement our existing ones.

We have had sustained success because our list was quite young when we won the flag. But we're relying on guys drafted recently to do some very heavy lifting. Imagine if we had brought in a Tarranto or Lynch or Cameron etc?

Despite all that I think our list is capable of MUCH more.

Post Thanks / Like

When did rookie drafting someone from Burnie Dockers via Port Melbourne count someone as an import.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    When did rookie drafting someone from Burnie Dockers via Port Melbourne count someone as an import.
    Player not drafted as a youngster, but considered mature. The conversation was about developing own players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Player not drafted as a youngster, but considered mature. The conversation was about developing own players.
    I think Collingwood can take a lot of credit for Mihocek. He was available to every club when they rookied him.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

6. Likes GVGjr, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I think Collingwood can take a lot of credit for Mihocek. He was available to every club when they rookied him.
    We start off saying that Collingwood have an unfair advantage in attracting players but as you point out Mihocek proves their development is working. I don't think their list is particularly strong but on the 3 games so far it's looks like the coach knows how to use the players he has in a very productive way. Interesting to see how they will handle losing Cameron and Cox for a period of time after trading our Grundy and now wanting a mid season trade period to address their ruck needs.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

No real big names in there when drafted/traded... pretty sure Crisp was the steak knives in the Beams deal.

9. Likes Stevo, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    No real big names in there when drafted/traded... pretty sure Crisp was the steak knives in the Beams deal.
    They haven't been attracting genuine big name players via trades but have found a way of getting them all to be playing some effective football. Look at what they did with Roughead and he got something like 3 more years after he adjusted back into a KPD role.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No you can't blame them and that's what I wanted to highlight. As a smaller club, we can't bring in outside talent as frequently as Collingwood and other big clubs. We are much more dependant on the draft path which takes longer and means we are less likely to sustain success as we can't bring in ready made stars to complement our existing ones.

We have had sustained success because our list was quite young when we won the flag. But we're relying on guys drafted recently to do some very heavy lifting. Imagine if we had brought in a Tarranto or Lynch or Cameron etc?

Much more than making a GF in 2021 and falling forty minutes short of victory? I get last year was terrible, but that's the thing with the AFL, if you're slightly off you're in danger of not getting your season going and missing out - which we did last year.

We don't have the best midfield, we don't have the best forwards, we don't have the best defenders, and we don't have the best depth. Our players select when to give maximum effort, and when not to which you just can't get away with at the top level.

But everyone expects us to compete every year with the very best as if it should be a given that we do.

The truth is a lot has to go right for that to happen. I'm optimistic those things can go right, but I don't expect them to.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Likes dog town liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean like a Premiership winning ruck / forward or a top 10 mid like Treloar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Much more than making a GF in 2021 and falling forty minutes short of victory? I get last year was terrible, but that's the thing with the AFL, if you're slightly off you're in danger of not getting your season going and missing out - which we did last year.

We don't have the best midfield, we don't have the best forwards, we don't have the best defenders, and we don't have the best depth. Our players select when to give maximum effort, and when not to which you just can't get away with at the top level.

But everyone expects us to compete every year with the very best as if it should be a given that we do.

The truth is a lot has to go right for that to happen. I'm optimistic those things can go right, but I don't expect them to.
    Yeah a lot has to go right. Our curious run with injuries have shown that and a lot had to go right in 2016. It'd just be nice to not have to also worry about whether the players can be stuffed any given week or should I say any given quarter.

16. Likes jeemak liked this post