Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  164

View Poll Results: Should a coaching change be made?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, lets stick with Bevo and wait

23 38.33%
  • No, but lets prepare some options

19 31.67%
  • Maybe by mid season

5 8.33%
  • Yes, lets do it sooner than later and control our destiny

5 8.33%
  • Yes, but we should wait until we start canvassing options

2 3.33%
  • Support Bevo unconditionally

6 10.00%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge and our challenges

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yeah, well...none of US knew about the Lobb injury until after the Dee's game. Which makes me wonder if maybe those on the inside DID have a suspicion about how things *might* go and were therefore trying to get every single 'asset' out on the field in an effort to get off to a positive start. Of course the 'Where does that leave us now?" question needs to be asked but...

Anyway, we can continue to make changes etc but the result on Saturday almost calls for a 'Same 22 - you made the mess, get out there and fix it' type of response...
    Given the consistent & excellent updates from GVGjr in the pre-season training thread he had noticed Lobb was on ''light/restricted'' for the last 7-10 days of our pre-season so it was no surprise to me when we heard the news of the injury.

Understand the principle about running with the same 22... but I can't see how we continue with at least a couple of the Rd.2 team who just aren't contributing.... we watch with interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree. WE HAVE JUST RECONTRACTED BEVO to the end of 2025. My capitals means I am shouting it. I am in the camp of supporting
    Bevo unconditionally. I remember Peter Gordon saying years later what a huge mistake he made by sacking Terry Wheeler after 2 games. He always regretted it. Bevo has done a fantastic job for us. Our best coach ever and some want to sack him after 2 games. I have faith that the whole club will turn this around.Let's support the club instead of bagging it.
    Part of me agree with you B4L. But from when I heard players and possibly club did not conduct a detailed review 2021 GF loss, our ongoing puzzling mc selections leading to loss of players doing well at other clubs, our inability to address lack of foot speed and toughness for quite a few seasons, our stubborn approach to no tagging, our inability to change our stagnant midfield and an over reliance on Bont and Libba, our decreasing skill level, plus the internal review (should have been a detailed external review) late last year that seemed to result in only Lade being brought in, has me thinking there is something or multiple things deeply awry. The next 3 to 4 weeks are crucial. I chose the top 1 but am worried our problems stem from Bevo having to much say and hence go beyond the coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Part of me agree with you B4L. But from when I heard players and possibly club did not conduct a detailed review 2021 GF loss, our ongoing puzzling mc selections leading to loss of players doing well at other clubs, our inability to address lack of foot speed and toughness for quite a few seasons, our stubborn approach to no tagging, our inability to change our stagnant midfield and an over reliance on Bont and Libba, our decreasing skill level, plus the internal review (should have been a detailed external review) late last year that seemed to result in only Lade being brought in, has me thinking there is something or multiple things deeply awry. The next 3 to 4 weeks are crucial. I chose the top 1 but am worried our problems stem from Bevo having to much say and hence go beyond the coach.
    You make too much sense Josie I'm just an old fashion optimist.

Post Thanks / Like

go away disney ceo
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Rightly or wrongly all of these players contracts are up at years end. We have always been too conservative with our list management and turning the list over.
    I think I have argued against this every time you and GVGjr bring it up.

Under Bevo we have turned over at least 8 to 10 every year. I don't believe we should be turning over more than that.

I will agree some players have gone one or two years too long.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post

- To safeguard my feelings I'll probably not force myself to sit through, or go to, games, at least until we get a it better or things become a little clearer. It might make me a bad supporter but I've got a few other things on lol
    Hey Boots, great post.

I totally understand not wanting to go to a game as things look dire.

On the flip side this may be also the perfect opportunity to go.

I'm not expecting to play finals, but I also am looking forward to how the team gels or doesn't.

To look for that small improvement and heck to be there when we pull off an upset and the tide turns back in our favour.

What I'm optimistic about is that Beveridge said after both games has said it is not good enough.

In previous seasons he has not been that direct and has avoided saying that publicly.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

7. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    go away disney ceo
    In the opening posts I ask the following from contributors

"Lets try and have a good discussion with some facts or observations to support your position"

While I get many people are frustrated I respectfully ask that you please try and stay within that range and the spirit of the discussion as all others have and put some content into your contributions.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In the opening posts I ask the following from contributors

"Lets try and have a good discussion with some facts or observations to support your position"

While I get many people are frustrated I respectfully ask that you please try and stay within that range and put some content into your contributions.
    I think my comment, though succinct, is right over the target.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I think my comment, though succinct, is right over the target.
    I bet you know nothing about her.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I bet you know nothing about her.
    Does anybody? That is kind of the problem.

Footy is tribal and passionate. City Hall is the place for globalist corporates, and really is where someone like KW-W would thrive and prosper. In club land, we need everybody from the top down to be fervently tribal and 1000% in our corner, over and above being talented/well connected - the latter is not enough to be a successful club president that cuts through. We were spoilt rotten with Peter Gordon and David Smorgon as our leaders, who led us in far more difficult circumstances than current incumbent IMO.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Likes JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

go away disney ceo
    I like kww.

Agree she could be more visible, however maybe the days of us needing a president being out on the front foot and in the spotlight are over.
    I'll judge them on the role they're there to do.

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Does anybody? That is the problem.

Footy is tribal and passionate. City Hall is the place for globalist corporates. In club land, we need everybody from the top down to be fervently tribal and 1000% in our corner as well as talented/well connected - the latter is nowhere near enough for a club president I'm afraid. We were spoilt rotten with Peter Gordon and David Smorgon as our leaders, who led us in far more difficult circumstances than current incumbent.
    I'll bite.

Apart from the fact kww is employed by Disney what makes you know she is that which you describe. You seem to dislike the collective when judging the individual which to me seems unfair.

Post Thanks / Like

Some contrasting views all expressed with logic and this is the sort of discussions I hope the club is having.
    We cant just point the finger at Beveridge as this is a problem that the club has to resolve so Grant or Bains need to be proactive.
    The players need to own their positions and help their coach.
    I don't think Ive seen a more even spread of votes here. I could probably guess who's in the Back Bevo regardless votes.

17. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In Bevo We Trust ... Still ... For now.

Just starting his 9th year as a senior coach, he has taken us to the finals 6 out of 8 years; including two grand final appearances. That alone deserves our support in his continued tenure (as was proven by the boards unanimous decision to extend his contract at the end of last year.)

As supporters, we love to throw people under the bus. We did it with Rocket, we are constantly doing it with Bevo. (I was guilty of doing it with Brendan McCartney). We have to stick by him ... stick fat.

In saying all that, I still believe he needs support. He needs to have a senior assistant to help him through or to complement (not compliment) his efforts. A sounding board if you will.

Remember, we did start last season 0-2 (losing to Melbourne and Carlton) and we were 2-4 at the end of Round 6.
    WOOF Member 422

19. Likes josie liked this post
    Jez1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Despite a new contract due to two less than impressive results there is a lot of noise about getting rid of our premiership coach Luke Beveridge.
    From my perspective that rarely plays out well for clubs to sack a coach mid season but particularly more about doing it so early in the season.
    I'm inclined to believe the best option is to back all the planning that went into the season from the coaches, sports science guys and the executive teams and reassess if we get into a position where we can't make the finals.
    Ironically if a club was to make a coaching change this might be the year to do it with only Hinkley, Simpson and now Bevo under the microscope so there might not be a need to rush it.

So lets hear your thoughts on what the club should do with Bevo and if/when a coaching change should be made?
    I have attached a poll but feel free to suggest other options.

Lets try and have a good discussion with some facts or observations to support your position.

I'm 44 and Luke Beveridge has been my absolute favourite coach, and not just because of the success, but I just love everything about him. The way he speaks, motivates, and his ability to be different, although I haven't always agreed with team selection, so it pains me to say this; he should've been sacked at the end of last year, and I believe they should sack him immediately before the season is a complete mess. I believe he's no longer getting through to the players, I don't think they believe in his game plan, a game plan that is completely outdated, a change is needed.
    I think he is clueless right now, we've been terrible defensively for some time now, which to be fair is part personnel, but our defensive structures are not what is required. People say but he's a premiership coach, has the best Bulldogs winning record, but that's the past, the game moves quickly, and it's moved past Bevo for the moment.
    Sometimes no matter how successful a coach is at a club, there comes a time when a fresh voice with fresh ideas is needed. You?d be lucky to find two players that have improved in the last 18 months, most have either stagnated or gone backwards, he?s team selection and positioning of players is questionable, and he?s continually out coached game day. This from Leigh Montagna I was really bullish on the Western Bulldogs and a lot of people were. They added some pieces, they've got some talent and I thought that they would change a bit of their system. But at the moment after two weeks of footy, they kick forward the third least in the competition. Going against the trend of what everyone else is doing? Their pressure is bottom six, they are last in scoring from stoppage, which is meant to be their strength with that midfield. They can't move the ball forward, their 18th in inside 50s and they can't defend it and they can't cover the ground. It's alarming.

The team is actually unwatchable at the moment and completely directionless. Brisbane will belt us Thursday night, and our first win won't be until hawks round 6. He's been a great for the dogs, but as supporters we're burying our heads in the sand because of our love for what he's done if we think he should stay.

21. Thanks GVGjr, Grantysghost, josie thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray, soupman, Bullies, Scorlibo liked this post