Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  164

View Poll Results: Should a coaching change be made?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, lets stick with Bevo and wait

23 38.33%
  • No, but lets prepare some options

19 31.67%
  • Maybe by mid season

5 8.33%
  • Yes, lets do it sooner than later and control our destiny

5 8.33%
  • Yes, but we should wait until we start canvassing options

2 3.33%
  • Support Bevo unconditionally

6 10.00%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge and our challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree. WE HAVE JUST RECONTRACTED BEVO to the end of 2025. My capitals means I am shouting it. I am in the camp of supporting
    Bevo unconditionally. I remember Peter Gordon saying years later what a huge mistake he made by sacking Terry Wheeler after 2 games. He always regretted it. Bevo has done a fantastic job for us. Our best coach ever and some want to sack him after 2 games. I have faith that the whole club will turn this around.Let's support the club instead of bagging it.
    It was the right decision. As nice a guys as Wheels is and as great a coach as he was 1990/91/92 he was done and if they club hadn't made the change we would have been done. Joyce was always going to be a short term appointment, but he was a good appointment.

2. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all what the players think.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted maybe by mid season. I am very concerned by the way we played, and the way seem to have prepared for our two opponents. I'm sure it's recency bias but I can't recall a worse game in the Bevo era - I think the fact we showed in 12 minutes how we should have beaten them made it worse.

BUT I think he's still got a couple of credits left, and has consistently shown an ability to turn things around week to week. If we get to 0-6 then I will be chips in on Bevo out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I voted maybe by mid season. I am very concerned by the way we played, and the way seem to have prepared for our two opponents. I'm sure it's recency bias but I can't recall a worse game in the Bevo era - I think the fact we showed in 12 minutes how we should have beaten them made it worse.

BUT I think he's still got a couple of credits left, and has consistently shown an ability to turn things around week to week. If we get to 0-6 then I will be chips in on Bevo out.
    I don't think there is a right answer to any of the options proposed and as someone else pointed out there is a real spread of votes so far and it will of course play somehow. Do we have the right leaders to either back and support Bevo or if things don't improve be strong enough to make that move it's probably one of those 'time will tell' moments?
    Looking forward to today's training session to see how the players respond and who rallies around Bevo.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think there is a right answer to any of the options proposed and as someone else pointed out there is a real spread of votes so far and it will of course play somehow. Do we have the right leaders to either back and support Bevo or if things don't improve be strong enough to make that move it's probably one of those 'time will tell' moments?
    Looking forward to today's training session to see how the players respond and who rallies around Bevo.
    In all seriousness who really gives a toss how they train or who is friendly with Bevo... we all wait for 7.20pm on Thursday to see how we respond when it counts.

7. Likes DOG GOD, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think there is a right answer to any of the options proposed and as someone else pointed out there is a real spread of votes so far and it will of course play somehow.
    The right answer is...once the 'club' decides it's all over, they should end it then. Keeping the coach until the end of the year never helps anyone. I look at the Giants last year and whilst it really felt at the time that they moved WAAAYYYY too earlier on Cameron, it did take a lot of pressure off the club, give an assistance coach the chance to audition and gave them a look at their players in different roles within a different game-plan.

If that's now...move now. If it's later...move later. If it's not at all - well, see ya next year (or at the end of 2025).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The right answer is...once the 'club' decides it's all over, they should end it then. Keeping the coach until the end of the year never helps anyone. I look at the Giants last year and whilst it really felt at the time that they moved WAAAYYYY too earlier on Cameron, it did take a lot of pressure off the club, give an assistance coach the chance to audition and gave them a look at their players in different roles within a different game-plan.

If that's now...move now. If it's later...move later. If it's not at all - well, see ya next year (or at the end of 2025).
    Good post mjp.

Out of interest, what are your thoughts on the current situation? What would you do if you were senior management at the club?
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the club will know what to do if we're 0-5 or 0-6 or whatever. Who has the balls to have a hard conversation with Beveridge? No way Grant fronts up on this. Has to be Bains but I have my doubts he can do this. We'll sit on our hands until Bevo's had enough or the players revolt. Let's hope it doesn't come to that!

Regardless I feel certain if Bevo can't turn it around in the second half of the season he'll walk away before season's end anyway.

I'm still backing him and our players in. I think we can turn this around and get on a roll. I'm just not sure when and I'm hoping it's not too late in the season.

12. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I don't think the club will know what to do if we're 0-5 or 0-6 or whatever. Who has the balls to have a hard conversation with Beveridge? No way Grant fronts up on this. Has to be Bains but I have my doubts he can do this. We'll sit on our hands until Bevo's had enough or the players revolt. Let's hope it doesn't come to that!
    This was the point I made earlier in relation to leadership starting at the top. Some disagree that our president should be anything more than a figurehead but really the president is the official leader of the entire organisation. Whether or not she is doing a great job in her fiduciary responsibilities is not really the point - her complete lack of profile as our club president (and believe me, she does not suffer a lack of profile in the corporate world with her role at Disney) has created a massive leadership vacuum in comms that Bevo has been forced to fill. And this comms vacuum has not been close to adequately filled by CEO and head of footy, adding even more pressure on Bevo and taking away his energy and focus on what is already an all-encompassing job as senior coach.

If the season pans out as per your example above, and if Bevo subsequently falls on his sword through stealthy coercion from those above in the chain of command, I will feel incredibly sorry for him. It it is fundamentally wrong that the very people who extended his contract would terminate it and not suffer any consequencs whatsoever, when they have contributed to the leadership vacuum in the first place which has made the senior coach's job so much more difficult.

I'm confident there will be a response from coach and players and we can turn the season around. Talent and knowledge doesn't evaporate overnight. We are 4 consecutive years in finals with a 3-4 record in September in that stretch - not too many clubs in the competition have that recent record.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, it's not right to expect them to be the front man if a decision has been made to change direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    This was the point I made earlier in relation to leadership starting at the top. Some disagree that our president should be anything more than a figurehead but really the president is the official leader of the entire organisation. Whether or not she is doing a great job in her fiduciary responsibilities is not really the point - her complete lack of profile as our club president (and believe me, she does not suffer a lack of profile in the corporate world with her role at Disney) has created a massive leadership vacuum in comms that Bevo has been forced to fill. And this comms vacuum has not been close to adequately filled by CEO and head of footy, adding even more pressure on Bevo and taking away his energy and focus on what is already an all-encompassing job as senior coach.

If the season pans out as per your example above, and if Bevo subsequently falls on his sword through stealthy coercion from those above in the chain of command, I will feel incredibly sorry for him. It it is fundamentally wrong that the very people who extended his contract would terminate it and not suffer any consequencs whatsoever, when they have contributed to the leadership vacuum in the first place which has made the senior coach's job so much more difficult.

I'm confident there will be a response from coach and players and we can turn the season around. Talent and knowledge doesn't evaporate overnight. We are 4 consecutive years in finals with a 3-4 record in September in that stretch - not too many clubs in the competition have that recent record.

There is no question on that point and you would have to believe Gordon or Smorgon would have most likely fronted the media in some capacity or at least they would do so by Thursday's game. That might still happen.

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You don't sign up a coach for a further period and then two games later say goodbye. I know you are not advocating that, but even looking around is pretty bad in my opinion. What changed in a month?
    I think there are levels and layers to it though. Doing a recon on who is available / who might be gettable is a different proposition to chasing someone else and saying goodbye to Bevo.

What if we lose the next 15 games in a row by an average margarine of 80 points and someone who was more prepared than us snatches up the best available coach and we haven?t even looked at the landscape? That?s negligent.

We know who is who in the zoo and we’re ready if worst case scenario happens with a Plan B and Plan C etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Only round 2 so way too early to be thinking about this stuff for mine. Bevo should see out the season no matter what and then review the season.
    The curse is dead.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I think there are levels and layers to it though. Doing a recon on who is available / who might be gettable is a different proposition to chasing someone else and saying goodbye to Bevo.

What if we lose the next 15 games in a row by an average margarine of 80 points and someone who was more prepared than us snatches up the best available coach and we haven?t even looked at the landscape? That?s negligent.

We know who is who in the zoo and we’re ready if worst case scenario happens with a Plan B and Plan C etc.
    There won't be a need for a coach if we drop 15 games from here by an average margin of 80 points because I would have already burnt Whitten Oval down to the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    There won't be a need for a coach if we drop 15 games from here by an average margin of 80 points because I would have already burnt Whitten Oval down to the ground.
    Agree. It’s an extreme example and absolutely won’t happen.