Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  164

View Poll Results: Should a coaching change be made?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, lets stick with Bevo and wait

23 38.33%
  • No, but lets prepare some options

19 31.67%
  • Maybe by mid season

5 8.33%
  • Yes, lets do it sooner than later and control our destiny

5 8.33%
  • Yes, but we should wait until we start canvassing options

2 3.33%
  • Support Bevo unconditionally

6 10.00%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge and our challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Your comment indicated that you knew the club rates this list. Apparently you are not so sure now.
    Bulldog Joe answered for me
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Im starting to question Berveridges value for us and while I want us to wait and be patient for the results to flow it would be negligent not to start to think about some options.
    I was listening to Sanderson on SEN and some of his observations about where we are falling down are damning to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Im starting to question Berveridges value for us and while I want us to wait and be patient for the results to flow it would be negligent not to start to think about some options.
    I was listening to Sanderson on SEN and some of his observations about where we are falling down are damning to say the least.
    For those of us that weren't listening can you share what his observations were?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Of course. We've been putrid.

This is where the industry sucks though - Sanderson was moved on by Adelaide and, whilst I'm not saying he's 'DONE', has not exactly jumped back into the fire - I think he's working with umpires now??? Sitting on the outside throwing rocks is way easier than trying to fix things...Good on him for earning a living but watching the Saints game and pointing out some shortcomings isn't exactly rocket science.

How do you FIX them? Well, that's the challenge right. And that's why what Sando does what he does now rather than coach.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    For those of us that weren't listening can you share what his observations were?
    I heard most of it. He mentioned that the opposition getting 100 marks is a red flag to many coaches, last year the average against us was 108 and off a small sample size this year is 120. That needs to be fixed. He just methodically worked though some of the challenges we are facing and offered some thoughts on what we might be able to do.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Of course. We've been putrid.

This is where the industry sucks though - Sanderson was moved on by Adelaide and, whilst I'm not saying he's 'DONE', has not exactly jumped back into the fire - I think he's working with umpires now??? Sitting on the outside throwing rocks is way easier than trying to fix things...Good on him for earning a living but watching the Saints game and pointing out some shortcomings isn't exactly rocket science.

How do you FIX them? Well, that's the challenge right. And that's why what Sando does what he does now rather than coach.
    He does a regular segment with SEN on a Thursday and is now the director of sport of Mentone grammar.
    He certainly didn't appear to be throwing rocks our way and talked about some of the things we needed to focus on. He mentioned a few times he rates Bevo.

I'll see if I can find the link.

Strategy 2023
    Last edited by GVGjr; 30-03-2023 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Link added

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I heard most of it. He mentioned that the opposition getting 100 marks is a red flag to many coaches, last year the average against us was 108 and off a small sample size this year is 120. That needs to be fixed. He just methodically worked though some of the challenges we are facing and offered some thoughts on what we might be able to do.
    I wonder if Ross the Boss cares too much about that number?

St.Kilda have conceded 136 & 117 marks in their games this year yet have restricted the opposition to scores of 52 & 42.

To me it's where they're taking marks rather than pure numbers... St.Kilda are giving up the sideways kick, but defending the 45deg which can open up the field.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

St.Kilda have conceded 136 & 117 marks in their games this year yet have restricted the opposition to scores of 52 & 42.

To me it's where they're taking marks rather than pure numbers... St.Kilda are giving up the sideways kick, but defending the 45deg which can open up the field.
    I think RTB actually prefers it when the other team has the ball.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

100%. A symptom of Lyon's pressure/effective defending of space is actually conceding more marks. Opposition kicking sideways with no purpose other than giving them more time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    100%. A symptom of Lyon's pressure/effective defending of space is actually conceding more marks. Opposition kicking sideways with no purpose other than giving them more time.
    When you have 30 plus players on one side of the ground, teams will kick sideways to get around the zone. We didn't do it effectively enough.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Why does it need to be fixed? Some coaches prefer it when the oppo chip it around - against Collingwood or Richmond or the 2022 version of Geelong, forcing a lot of uncontested marks would be a positive as it takes them out of their usual mode of operation...It's about doing things the way YOU want, not about mindlessly looking at stats and saying this is good and this is bad.

I was probably harsh on Sanderson but I'm grouchy today and honestly I'm so tired of people who used to coach but now don't - or never have - telling the current day coaches what they are doing right/wrong...comment on the game and try and give us a window into what you THINK they are trying to do. Don't tell me x clearances/tackles/uncontested marks are bad because you don't KNOW what they are trying to do.

And yes, David King, Daisy Pearce, Jonathon Brown etc - I'm talking to you guys. Give us some insight and opinion, not the numbers on the champion data sheet and not the stuff on the screen in front of our eyes.

Hawthorn won the clearances easily last week and were spanked by Sydney. Does that mean Sydney are no good at stoppages and should be concerned or is it something else? And if it's something else, what else is it?

15. Thanks Bulldog Joe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that Brisbane played a style of footy that seemed like it wasn't going to give us any great grief last night. In fact, at times, it was like looking in a mirror, the way they set up and tried to move the footy. Maybe they can't run the footy? Or don't trust themselves to go hard up the middle.

Just thought that was interesting in the context of whether how we are travelling is a coaching, or player issue. Obviously, reality is more complex than that. I believe we have the talent that if they are up and going, can beat anyone on their day. I don't know how many days we have in us, or if today is the day, or not. Maybe they can build that belief again by going on a run of form equally as impressive as the last fortnight was depressing.

Bevo did well during the week to address some concerns, he is a stoic guy, regardless of the broader conversation. Recall he said "we've been here before" which is equally frustrating as it was comforting. We know we have that in us.

Outside of this forum, the typically snarky "still wanna sack the coach?" stuff kicked in post game for me. The answer is yes, but the thing that will cool very quickly, is when I want that to happen. Balance the ledger and that sharp axe I have ready to go, I'd be comfortable to settle on putting it away until R12 at least and just try and enjoy the ride and look for where the gains will come from.

17. Likes mjp, Grantysghost, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    The answer is yes, but the thing that will cool very quickly, is when I want that to happen.
    ...which is the right viewpoint, 'cos whether you are yay or nay for Bevo, ONE GAME (at Marvel no less) shouldn't change your opinion. Just like two shouldn't have...

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's good to see some of the pressure come off Bevo but we've still got some heavy lifting to complete over the next few rounds.
    We are not out of the sights of the media just yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I've noted it's come off Bevo, but only with the caveat that Brisbane were very bad and we got lots of free kicks we didn't deserve that led to goals.

He'll be under pressure all season, no matter how competitive we are.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.