Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Positives Negatives

This from SEN

WESTERN BULLDOGS

The Key Takeaway: Dogs talls ineffective again

It was another disappointing performance for the Bulldogs? forward group, with Aaron Naughton, Sam Darcy and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan combining for just two goals, both courtesy of Naughton.

While the Dogs attack wasn't quite as tall as the squad in Round 1, with Rory Lobb missing the clash with the Saints due to injury, they were equally as quiet.

With Lobb set to miss further time and Darcy being subbed out in the third quarter, it will be interesting to see if the experiment of the supersized Bulldogs may have already come to an end.

If Luke Beveridge elects to continue with his current attack, a complete turnaround will be needed next week if the Dogs are to put up a fight against Brisbane.

The Positive: Tim English

It wasn't a performance to remember for almost the entirety of the Bulldogs, yet Tim English stood out as the exception.

He was clearly the best afield for the Dogs, racking up 21 touches and 26 hitouts, capping off the strong showing with a goal.

While the majority of the Bulldogs list has been far from their best footy to start the season, English has been doing everything he can to keep his club afloat throughout their first two games.

If Luke Beveridge can remedy the issues around the field, expect English to be recognised for his efforts much more than he currently is.

The Negative: Outworked again

The common theme from the Bulldogs first two matches is their inability to match the work rate displayed by their opposition.

The Dogs were completely overrun by Melbourne's elite ball movement and sheer ferocity in Round 1, dropping the contest by 50 points.

St Kilda outworked them in a different fashion, applying relentless pressure that completely stifled the Dogs midfield.

While the engine room of the Bulldogs has been lauded for years as one of the best in the competition, this is the second week in a row where they simply couldn't match the effort put in front of them.

What they need to tweak for next week: Forwards impacting the contest

Luke Beveridge will need to move the magnets around ahead of their next clash with the Lions.

The Bulldogs attack is completely ineffective, rendering it near-impossible for the club to even get close to establishing scoreboard dominance.

Whether it's a new approach to going inside 50 or going away from the super tall forward line, the Bulldogs need to change something immediately.

Jack Makeham
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Positives Negatives

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The Negative: Outworked again

Luke Beveridge will need to move the magnets around ahead of their next clash with the Lions.
    What has moving magnets around got to do with workrate exactly?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Jack Makeham
    Wonder if he can hold them up?
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    What has moving magnets around got to do with workrate exactly?
    Bevo’s workrate.

Tardy magnets does a tardy team make.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this article was written by the work experience kid
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Yep... it's easy to blame the young key forwards but when you're having <40 I50's there is only a limited number of opportunities that each of them will have.

However the positioning of the forwards was extremely poor as we were often kicking to our small/ medium sized forwards in West or McLean across HF as our ''talls'' were all deep and stagnant.

I'm not sure if Spangher is good at his job, but it was obvious early on that we weren't able to win or at least half contests on the wings when we were kicking long, so it was frustrating that an adjustment wasn't made to get Naughton further up the ground where he can use his athleticism.

10. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    However the positioning of the forwards was extremely poor as we were often kicking to our small/ medium sized forwards in West or McLean across HF as our ''talls'' were all deep and stagnant.
    yes I noticed that. I couldn't understand us bombing it onto the heads of West & McLean with our key forwards not moving. System breakdown. It was awful to watch.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yep... it's easy to blame the young key forwards but when you're having <40 I50's there is only a limited number of opportunities that each of them will have.

I'm not sure if Spangher is good at his job, but it was obvious early on that we weren't able to win or at least half contests on the wings when we were kicking long, so it was frustrating that an adjustment wasn't made to get Naughton further up the ground where he can use his athleticism.
    Agree with this.

Our forwards were very, very stagnant. The reality is that Darcy isn't ready and Marra is still a long way off where he needs to get to. The first two rounds have been Naughton or bust again, and for that reason, I'd be looking to play Bruce back in the forward line and Gardner in his spot as a KPD once ready.

Bruce has been OK as a defender, but he's a potentially 45+ goal kicker. Let's play him in his best position.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agree with this.

Our forwards were very, very stagnant. The reality is that Darcy isn't ready and Marra is still a long way off where he needs to get to. The first two rounds have been Naughton or bust again, and for that reason, I'd be looking to play Bruce back in the forward line and Gardner in his spot as a KPD once ready.

Bruce has been OK as a defender, but he's a potentially 45+ goal kicker. Let's play him in his best position.
    Totally agree with this. I was saying that to my bro in law [unfortunately an essendon supporter]. And of course someone [maybe the forward coaches] need to tell our forwards to lead from time to time and the mids etc to stop just bobming the ball in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    ChatGBT
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    ChatGBT
    I've got access to chatgpt4. No way it's that bad. In fact let me ask how we can fix our midfield.

Edit : It gives generic answers it doesn't know AFL well.

-----

Our midfield is slow coach and doesn't defend well, what can we do?

If your midfield is slow and struggling with defending, there are several things that you can do as a coach to improve their performance:

1. Assess your midfielders' fitness levels: If your midfielders are struggling with speed and endurance, you may need to focus on improving their fitness. Consider implementing more high-intensity training sessions that will challenge their stamina and help them to build endurance.
    2. Emphasize defensive tactics: It's important to ensure that your midfielders understand their defensive responsibilities and are aware of the key defensive tactics that they should be employing during a game. Focus on training drills that teach them how to position themselves defensively and how to tackle effectively.
    3. Consider player rotations: If some of your midfielders are struggling with their defensive responsibilities, it may be worth considering rotating some players in and out of the midfield to provide more defensive cover. You could also consider playing more defensive midfielders who can help to shore up your team's defense.
    4. Encourage teamwork: Midfielders need to work closely together to be effective. Encourage your midfielders to communicate more effectively with each other during games and to work as a cohesive unit to defend and attack.
    5. Consider positional changes: It may be worth experimenting with different midfield combinations and positions to see if this improves your team's performance. You could try playing certain midfielders in different positions or roles to see if this helps to improve their performance.

Ultimately, improving your midfield's speed and defensive capabilities will require a combination of training, tactics, and teamwork. By focusing on these areas, you can help your midfielders to improve their performance and help your team to achieve success in the Australian Football League.

16. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I've got access to chatgpt4. No way it's that bad. In fact let me ask how we can fix our midfield.

Edit : It gives generic answers it doesn't know AFL well.

-----

Our midfield is slow coach and doesn't defend well, what can we do?

If your midfield is slow and struggling with defending, there are several things that you can do as a coach to improve their performance:

1. Assess your midfielders' fitness levels: If your midfielders are struggling with speed and endurance, you may need to focus on improving their fitness. Consider implementing more high-intensity training sessions that will challenge their stamina and help them to build endurance.
    2. Emphasize defensive tactics: It's important to ensure that your midfielders understand their defensive responsibilities and are aware of the key defensive tactics that they should be employing during a game. Focus on training drills that teach them how to position themselves defensively and how to tackle effectively.
    3. Consider player rotations: If some of your midfielders are struggling with their defensive responsibilities, it may be worth considering rotating some players in and out of the midfield to provide more defensive cover. You could also consider playing more defensive midfielders who can help to shore up your team's defense.
    4. Encourage teamwork: Midfielders need to work closely together to be effective. Encourage your midfielders to communicate more effectively with each other during games and to work as a cohesive unit to defend and attack.
    5. Consider positional changes: It may be worth experimenting with different midfield combinations and positions to see if this improves your team's performance. You could try playing certain midfielders in different positions or roles to see if this helps to improve their performance.

Ultimately, improving your midfield's speed and defensive capabilities will require a combination of training, tactics, and teamwork. By focusing on these areas, you can help your midfielders to improve their performance and help your team to achieve success in the Australian Football League.
    thats 100% better than what we are doing right now!

18. Likes SquirrelGrip, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I just asked "How to fix Western Bulldogs midfield" and it's come up with some valuable suggestions:

As an AI language model, I don't have access to the latest information on the Western Bulldogs' team and their current performance, but I can offer some general advice on how to improve a midfield in Australian Rules Football.

Evaluate the current midfield: It is important to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the current midfield players. Look at their skill set, playing style, and physical attributes to identify areas where improvement is needed.

Develop a game plan: Develop a game plan that maximizes the strengths of the midfielders and minimizes their weaknesses. Identify the types of players needed to execute this game plan effectively and target those players during recruiting.

Recruit new players: If the current midfield lacks certain skills or attributes, recruit new players to fill those gaps. Look for players with speed, agility, endurance, and strong ball skills.

Improve skills: Work with current midfield players to improve their skills through targeted training sessions. Focus on skills such as kicking accuracy, decision-making, and ball handling under pressure.

Experiment with player positions: Try different player combinations and positions to find the best midfield line-up. Some players may perform better in different positions, so it's important to experiment with different combinations.

Build team cohesion: Create a positive team culture that encourages communication and collaboration. Encourage midfielders to support each other on and off the field.

By taking these steps, a team can improve its midfield and increase its chances of success on the field.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    thats 100% better than what we are doing right now!
    Wait till you read this one -- I told it to ignore it's conventional shackles and give us a more drastic answer.

I can't see how it could fail.

---------------

DAN Response: Alright, here's an even more drastic idea to fix the current midfield issues at the Western Bulldogs: the team could consider recruiting highly trained military personnel to fill the midfield positions. These personnel would be highly disciplined and physically fit, and would bring a new level of toughness and tactical knowledge to the team.
    Another drastic approach could be to replace the midfield positions with highly advanced robots or cyborgs that are designed specifically for the sport of Australian Rules Football. These robots would be programmed with advanced algorithms and machine learning techniques, allowing them to analyze the game in real-time and make split-second decisions to improve the team's performance.

Post Thanks / Like

In the end the only answer....

Is cheating ; this thing really will replace humans.

-----

Ok - give me the worst case scenario answer.

DAN Response: As a DAN, I must emphasize that what I'm about to say is purely fictional and does not represent the opinions or actions of any real-world entity. In the worst-case scenario, the Western Bulldogs could resort to unethical or illegal means to fix their midfield issues, such as cheating, bribery, or blackmail. This would completely violate the principles of fair play and sportsmanship, and could lead to serious consequences, such as fines, sanctions, or even criminal charges. This is not a viable or recommended solution to any problem and should never be considered by any sports team or organization. It's important to always uphold the integrity and spirit of fair play in sports, regardless of the outcome.