Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Positives Negatives

Back on thread - after seeing the players response to Arty, and the enthusiasm he brought to training I'm feeling good about this week.

2. Likes SquirrelGrip, bornadog, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    In the end the only answer....

Is cheating ; this thing really will replace humans.

-----

Ok - give me the worst case scenario answer.

DAN Response: As a DAN, I must emphasize that what I'm about to say is purely fictional and does not represent the opinions or actions of any real-world entity. In the worst-case scenario, the Western Bulldogs could resort to unethical or illegal means to fix their midfield issues, such as cheating, bribery, or blackmail. This would completely violate the principles of fair play and sportsmanship, and could lead to serious consequences, such as fines, sanctions, or even criminal charges. This is not a viable or recommended solution to any problem and should never be considered by any sports team or organization. It's important to always uphold the integrity and spirit of fair play in sports, regardless of the outcome.
    Sounds like the Bombres were early adopters of this technology.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't get is if we're not able to move the ball forward from a kick out from mid-defence past the wings why we don't crunch the ground with our talls who can compete in the air to at least neutralise the rebound back in. It's like we adjust as if we're moving the ball how we want to, get left short and burned.

To me that's exactly like the mids not adjusting to in game issues around the ball, and being too offencive. Take some responsibility for what's happening on the ground at the time and do something about it.

I've always thought it's a player issue, but I'm starting to think it's a philosophical/ strategic one, where we think our talent and plan matched up will get us through.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What I don't get is if we're not able to move the ball forward from a kick out from mid-defence past the wings why we don't crunch the ground with our talls who can compete in the air to at least neutralise the rebound back in. It's like we adjust as if we're moving the ball how we want to, get left short and burned.
    Frustrating, isn't it. The trouble with relying on our talls is that only English and Naughton consistently mark the ball, which is why opposition teams score so easily out of our defence, the ball consistently comes to ground and is whisked away. What I noticed last week, because I watching for it, was that as soon as a defender or mid took possession, his first look was sideways, sure enough, that's where he kicked the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Frustrating, isn't it. The trouble with relying on our talls is that only English and Naughton consistently mark the ball, which is why opposition teams score so easily out of our defence, the ball consistently comes to ground and is whisked away. What I noticed last week, because I watching for it, was that as soon as a defender or mid took possession, his first look was sideways, sure enough, that's where he kicked the ball.
    Were they looking for someone to run past and get the handball, but no one there, so they kick it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

To me that's exactly like the mids not adjusting to in game issues around the ball, and being too offencive. Take some responsibility for what's happening on the ground at the time and do something about it.

I've always thought it's a player issue, but I'm starting to think it's a philosophical/ strategic one, where we think our talent and plan matched up will get us through.
    I agree I think we need to be more strategic with our big forwards. I would like to see Naughton be that option as a high forward - wing and even play Marra up the ground more as a lead up / get out of doge option. We just don't have a fast gut running wingman / mids to be that lead up option so we need to focus on our strengths and that is potentially tapping into the athleticism and skills of Naughts and Marra. We still have Lobb and potentially Bruce deep so there are certainly options if by some miracle we do get it into our forward half of the ground. I feel we really missed Treloar on Saturday night who showed in the Melbourne game that he is prepared to work hard to create an option.

We've either tried to bomb long down the line to a arbitrary target or tried unsuccessfully to pick our way through the ground but the targets have often been the wrong ones (not Naughton, Not Jamarra) or our field kicking has let us down in the middle of the ground and we've been burnt constantly on the rebound.

We really don't have a plan B if the opposition is well managed and holds good shape and most of the top 6 sides do.

8. Likes josie, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We've either tried to bomb long down the line to a arbitrary target or tried unsuccessfully to pick our way through the ground but the targets have often been the wrong ones (not Naughton, Not Jamarra) or our field kicking has let us down in the middle of the ground and we've been burnt constantly on the rebound.

We really don't have a plan B if the opposition is well managed and holds good shape and most of the top 6 sides do.
    Marra made some great leads last week, but he just couldn't hold the marks. I reckon he dropped about 4 marks and one hit his chest and bounced off.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Were they looking for someone to run past and get the handball, but no one there, so they kick it.
    Good point. I don't think so because it happened so frequently, the ball almost invariably went laterally by foot and that's been the pattern of play in previous seasons. If you are right, then, that nobody runs past to receive the handball suggests that it's game plan or strategy

Post Thanks / Like

Marra made some great leads last week, but he just couldn't hold the marks. I reckon he dropped about 4 marks and one hit his chest and bounced off.
    Dropping marks is one thing but the really disappointing part was that he dropped easy marks and it's not like he was often beaten by a brilliant defender or an excellent defensive unit that double teamed him. In a way he was beaten by a his own lack of concentration.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Dropping marks is one thing but the really disappointing part was that he dropped easy marks and it's not like he was often beaten by a brilliant defender or an excellent defensive unit that double teamed him. In a way he was beaten by a his own lack of concentration.
    Agree with this, he should have marked those. Is it a confidence issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Shows Marra is moving to the right spots. Holding these marks, sticking those tackles and kicking kickable goals will determine if he realises his extraordinary potential. He is oh so close. I?m starting to worry like I did with TBoyd not clunking marks (except for that glorious 011016 day). For those of you who?ve played the game do you think is it a concentration, technique, eyesight, confidence, timing issue or a mix of some of these and can it be easily fixed? Can you think of other forwards that had similar issues and were able to turn it around?

I think back to that games vs Dees last year and think if he could bring half that every week he?ll be one of the games best forwards.

15. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we know when Marra was abused.

If it was early would make sense the way he played he looked rattled.

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I agree I think we need to be more strategic with our big forwards. I would like to see Naughton be that option as a high forward - wing .
    I've been wanting this since last year, not sure why we don't try Naughton in the Rob Murphy role.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I've been wanting this since last year, not sure why we don't try Naughton in the Rob Murphy role.
    When Darcy and Marra start clunking marks and kicking goals, we will be in a better position to move Naughton - even CHB

20. Likes josie, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with this, he should have marked those. Is it a confidence issue?
    I guess this is why you sometimes just have to play those with a high ceiling and deal with some inconsistency early. He can 100% mark well and he's showing he can get to the right positions. He's also showing those further up the ground can find him.

A few marks and goals and that changes a whole match around. I'm really bullish about how his season will pan out if he continues to apply himself. He's close.

22. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post