Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Robinson speaks to Grant Thomas about Luke Beveridge's

Mark Robinson speaks to Grant Thomas about Luke Beveridge's

Has Luke Beveridge stayed a year too long at the Bulldogs? A former coach believes Bevo would have been better off at a new club in 2023.

Grant Thomas says Luke Beveridge has stayed a year too long at the Bulldogs.

Placing him in the top echelon of coaches in the AFL, Thomas said Beveridge would've been better off departing with a year to run on his contract and coaching Essendon or North Melbourne.

When Brett Ratten was sacked as St Kilda coach, Thomas also wanted Beveridge at Moorabbin.

Instead, Beveridge was extended until the end of the 2025 season by the Bulldogs in December, 2022

The embattled Dogs play Brisbane at Marvel Stadium on Thursday night, where the focus is on Beveridge after two lacklustre performances to start the 2023 season.

Thomas believes morale and spirit is lacking, which dictates performance, and accused some senior players of not placing enough importance on competing.

I just think Bevo stayed a year too long, that's what I think, the former Saints coach said.

In terms of the relationship he has with the players which is deep seated, and the level that he requires from them and because they are the second oldest list in the competition, so most of them have been on the journey with them the whole way, you do actually have a use-by date.

That's why I was encouraged for St Kilda to talk to him last year and Ross Lyon, either one was going to be great.

I think Bevo's had his time there.

Clearly they haven't changed the list over. Their bottom three, four or five are really questionable in this dynamic era of AFL, where offence has balanced the ledger a bit more against defence.

And if you haven't got spirit and morale, it's very difficult to motivate and I just question whether the spirit and morale is at the Bulldogs at the moment.

Spirit and morale drives attitude and effort, and the thing that drives spirit and morale is importance. If it's back to the walls, a life or death situation, you watch everyone have a crack.

But I don't think it's that important to a lot of players who have played in a premiership or been involved in success. I question whether that importance is there and his ability to get that from them. It's a concern.

Beveridge, who is the Bulldogs most successful coach, has shown before he can coach his team out of a run of mediocre performances.

In 2022, the Dogs lost their first two matches and four of their first six and still played finals.

In 2021, they lost rounds 21-23 and made the grand final.

In 2020, they lost their first two matches and played finals.

In 2019, they lost four of their first six matches and then lost four of five matches through rounds 9-14 and still made finals.

Their playing profile across the first two rounds this season, however, is of great concern.

Defensively they leak too many goals and lack drive from halfback, the midfield is bland and they are ranked 18th for scores from clearances.

Players overall are out of form or interest, their pressure around the ground is ranked 16th, and the supposed marking strength in the F50 is diabolic, being ranked 18th.

In his ninth year as coach, and after having recruited key position players Rory Lobb and Liam Jones in the off-season, Beveridge has never been the subject of external pressure like he is right now.

Former great Brad Johnson was critical of the first two performances, strategy and morale has been the centre of media discussions, and it's been noted as well how many players have departed the club in recent years.

It' Thomas rated the consecutive premierships with St Bede's in the VAFA competition, and the AFL flag in 2016 as incredible efforts, yet maintained coaches can stay at clubs for too long.

Both and he and the club should've realised there were better options (at the end of last year), Thomas said.

If that meant Brad Scott went to the Bulldogs and Bevo to Essendon, I think that would've been two wins. At the moment there is only one win.

If Alastair Clarkson had gone to the Bulldogs and Luke Beveridge to North Melbourne, that would've been two wins. At the moment there is only win.

Thomas is curious about whether Beveridge has strayed from his coaching philosophy.

He's an outstanding coach and outstanding motivator of people, but did he get too strategic and tactical last year? I think so, Thomas said.

I'd like to know what his balance is now between strategy and tactics, and attitude and effort and culture and morale. If that balance isn't right you're going to get these sorts of performances.

He will get them back on track and they will be a force to be reckoned with this year at points in time, however, I still think once you've been there eight, nine years contracts are very rarely seen through to the end, we all know that's a massive challenge for Bevo Thomas said. Everyone is waiting for them to respond this week, and they need to.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks Jasper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mark Robinson speaks to Grant Thomas about Luke Beveridge's

It's interesting that Thomas chased Bevo for the Saints but is still expressing his view that Bevo has stayed a year too long with us.
    Obviously our poor start opens the door for that view but a couple of wins can close it quickly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's interesting that Thomas chased Bevo for the Saints but is still expressing his view that Bevo has stayed a year too long with us.
    Obviously our poor start opens the door for that view but a couple of wins can close it quickly.
    It's a fair POV.

I like his point about Bevo becoming too tactical when his strength always seems to have been getting everyone rowing in the same direction AND then getting them to row harder/faster...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here comes the heat. Wolfs are at the door. Can’t say I totally disagree but we are much better than what we have shown in 2023
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I think getting new people around him is an option that wasn't explored. He did make some ok points, although not sure if it's as simple as Brad Scott comes in and it's a win.

The question around coaches having a shelf life is an interesting one. Could have merit.

Longmire seems to go ok though, Hardwick too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I think getting new people around him is an option that wasn't explored. He did make some ok points, although not sure if it's as simple as Brad Scott comes in and it's a win.

The question around coaches having a shelf life is an interesting one. Could have merit.

We may have underestimated the loss of Hansen and King.

Many on here have continually bemoaned our lack of depth and experience within the coaching ranks. While Spangher may present well, he'd never actually coached before - he was doing an administrative role at Collingwood.

The potential problem Bevo has, is that eventually you wear the results (good or bad). In this case, they're bad and if they continue, he won't survive the inevitable.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Many on here have continually bemoaned our lack of depth and experience within the coaching ranks. While Spangher may present well, he'd never actually coached before - he was doing an administrative role at Collingwood.

The potential problem Bevo has, is that eventually you wear the results (good or bad). In this case, they're bad and if they continue, he won't survive the inevitable.
    Perhaps but I think its an accepted POV that you need to be bringing in people from other clubs from time to time to get a better feel for what is happening elsewhere. We could have held Hansen because he had been promoted and had a contract.
    I do worry that when bringing in Lade its not like he has come from very successful clubs and Webb might have been out of the high level coaching position for too long. Spangher has this year to prove his worth.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe anyone still bothers to give Grant Thomas airtime. He's always hated us.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Its all about ongoing improvement in coaches and if they accept change. Eade didnt have another level in him when we bottomed out and we will know more later in the year if Beverdige can adapt. Longmire and Hardwick seem to be able to reinvent themselves so there is no exact template.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I can't believe anyone still bothers to give Grant Thomas airtime. He's always hated us.
    He never respected us because he frequently had our measure but we should consider that he wanted Beveridge at the Saints as a sign that its a reasonably balanced view. We need to prove him wrong.

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Not jeemak. He was onto the very early on last year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    He never respected us because he frequently had our measure but we should consider that he wanted Beveridge at the Saints as a sign that its a reasonably balanced view. We need to prove him wrong.
    When considering he wanted Bevo at the Saints, his view isn't balanced at all because he's bitter still that Bevo said no. He's now entered grumpy old man territory and is happy to throw daggers at Bevo.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

16. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    When considering he wanted Bevo at the Saints, his view isn't balanced at all because he's bitter still that Bevo said no. He's now entered grumpy old man territory and is happy to throw daggers at Bevo.
    Hes been a grumpy bugger for many years but I dont see that hes bitter but you might be right.

18. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    Perhaps but I think its an accepted POV that you need to be bringing in people from other clubs from time to time to get a better feel for what is happening elsewhere. We could have held Hansen because he had been promoted and had a contract.
    I do worry that when bringing in Lade its not like he has come from very successful clubs and Webb might have been out of the high level coaching position for too long. Spangher has this year to prove his worth.
    Lade played in the Port Adelaide premiership as a player and since has had coaching stints at Richmond, Port and Saints.

Webb coached his own team in the WAFL before joining Freo as midfield coach and then us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not jeemak. He was onto the very early on last year.
    Yeah but Jeemak stole it off me.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -