Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day - Bulldogs vs Bombers

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    From a radio perspective he sounded super brave. Not an accolade often bestowed in the last few seasons.

How did Addison go?
    Callan makes a few mistakes and perhaps is still getting comfortable with the speed, but he floats back into dangerous areas and takes inspirational marks. At one stage Hargrave did it and I thought he did it partially because Callan had set the example. He is getting better each week and was definitely worth trading a few draft spots to give him an opportunity. What he lacks in skill he makes up for in guts, effort and committment.

Addison started very well, but didn't use the ball well tonight. He wasn't alone, as it was the type of game where guys would repeatedly run themselves ragged and then miskick. He spent some time minding Lovett in a shut down role later in the game. By and large I think he is progressing well, getting more comfortable with when he can run and take guys on.

DR what about the pub in Newtown near I think a courthouse, it might be called the courthouse, it reminded me of a Fitzroy/Melbourne like pub and I know they screen the AFL, plus they have their own beer 'Justice Ale' on tap.

Post Thanks / Like

Precious 4 points, but not convincing. In spite of all that was said to the contrary I think we might have been drinking our own bathwater this week and got over confident when we did so well in the first quarter.

Amazing how a player like Murph can be so on his game one week and so off it the next.

Callan a standout with BBBrian doing well and Morris hanging in there. Quite a few down on the night but still contributed.

Maybe just the reality check we needed. We are still a major work in progress.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    DR what about the pub in Newtown near I think a courthouse, it might be called the courthouse, it reminded me of a Fitzroy/Melbourne like pub and I know they screen the AFL, plus they have their own beer 'Justice Ale' on tap.
    I must check that out one night but parking is real tricky there. Apparently it was a good night at the Drummoyne Sports Club.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    From a radio perspective he sounded super brave. Not an accolade often bestowed in the last few seasons.

How did Addison go?
    Addison started ok then drifted out of the game and was pretty much unheard of of in the second half. We were so lucky to get out of this one, maybe my expectations are too high over the past three wins but our skill level and decision making was just awful. We didn't win in the end Essendon lost it really with McVeigh going off and Lonergan also with hammies they just didn't have the run and it opened up in the last 20 mins. Minson was very good and Aker was crucial when it mattered, Griffen started well and tried hard. Harbrow was good, def the pick of the pups tonight and Callan was desperate and courageous all night. Brian Lake was very solid in defence. Murphy was mistake-ridden which was surprising, Eade threw him back and he seemed to panic. Sorry for the grammar I've been on the beer all night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Got out of jail tonight. Lucky that they stopped.
    I listened from work in the UK as well.....missed the 3rd quarter b/c I went for lunch!

Always thought we'd win, but they did give us a fright. We are definitely NOT the finished article and I think we will get a clearer picture of where we are at when we play sides like the Hawks, Swans, Geelong and West Coast. all of these teams will make us pay for any mistakes and lapses in concentration.

That's the negative side of things.......the positives, despite going missing for 2 quarters we won and won compfortably and were never really out of the game or seriously in deficit. We stopped their run won the footy and won the game. Yep their injuries helped, but the most important thing was that when things weren't goin well we hung in there !

Post Thanks / Like

Hudson also seemed out of sorts, he got beaten in the ruck and seemed to panic in crucial moments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I listened from work in the UK as well.....missed the 3rd quarter b/c I went for lunch!

Always thought we'd win, but they did give us a fright. We are definitely NOT the finished article and I think we will get a clearer picture of where we are at when we play sides like the Hawks, Swans, Geelong and West Coast. all of these teams will make us pay for any mistakes and lapses in concentration.

That's the negative side of things.......the positives, despite going missing for 2 quarters we won and won compfortably and were never really out of the game or seriously in deficit. We stopped their run won the footy and won the game. Yep their injuries helped, but the most important thing was that when things weren't goin well we hung in there !
    I agree with everything here except for West Coast, they're gone.

Post Thanks / Like

That was easily our worst game fo the year so far. The number of skill errors was awful, we were just lucky Essendon stopped and we got a few free kicks go our way in the last quarter.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 12-04-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Hudson also seemed out of sorts, he got beaten in the ruck and seemed to panic in crucial moments.
    He was awful for 3 quarters but was really important in the last.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though we had a 40 point turnaround and went on to win the game - things could've got ugly if Lloyd & Lucas were playing.

Nevertheless, a win is a win but they have some fine tuning to do. Now it will be very important for them to stay focussed and not get ahead of themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    Even though we had a 40 point turnaround and went on to win the game - things could've got ugly if Lloyd & Lucas were playing.

Nevertheless, a win is a win but they have some fine tuning to do. Now it will be very important for them to stay focussed and not get ahead of themselves.
    Wot she said... couldn't have said it better myself.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post

I don't worry too much about if so ans so didn't play anymore. They play and the game has a completely different structure IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Under an assault like that late last year we would have wilted and gone on to lose by 50+ points. That instead there was a 40 point turnaround and players stepping up in the last quarter to win the game despite, again, some of the bigger guns not firing, can only be a step in the right direction.

No doubt the extended pre-season already has had an effect on our fitness and ability to run out games.

Also, with Westy out tonight the other midfielders had to step up and win contested ball. Griff tried manfully to impose himself on the game tonight, and did very well.

Also, remember that this was the team (with Lucas, admittedly) that toweled us up by over seventy points in the NAB cup. We have now beaten an arch-nemesis in a tight arm wrestle, rolled over a weak team and posted a huge score, come back from behind against our hoodoo team to crush them, and withstood an all-out assault in a free-flowing shootout. All different games, different tempos, different styles, different challenges to overcome in each game, but different players have stepped up at different times to solve different problems, which speaks well of our spread and variety of talent. There is no doubt we have taken some huge steps this year that bode well for the next few seasons.

This was a great, great win.

Post Thanks / Like

Always a positive to win when you haven't played well. One week at a time people.

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed...supposedly one of the hallmarks of a high calibre outfit is the ability to prevail, even when things don't go entirely your own way...it wasn't always pretty this eve, and we've clearly got some rough edges to address, but we're likewise demonstrating some very likeable traits, least of all the capacity to respond when challenged. Also worth noting that while yes they were missing key parts, so were we in West, Ray, Williams and Everitt.

All up, it's another four points well earned, particularly against that bloody mob...Now bring on that yellow and black rabble.
    BORDERLINE FLYING