Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Point them out: How Ugle-Hagan wants fans to deal with racism

link

An emotional Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has urged fans to call out racism in the stands after honouring Nicky Winmar's iconic act of defiance with a gesture of similar power.

A difficult week for the Western Bulldogs star ended on a stirring high after he booted five goals, including one after the siren, in a match-winning performance on Thursday night.

Ugle-Hagan made a powerful stand against racism, lifting his shirt and pointing to his skin after his first goal in a tribute to former St Kilda star Winmar?s response to racial taunts 30 years ago at Victoria Park.

The 20-year-old Indigenous star has never met Winmar but was determined to make a statement after being racially abused by a spectator last Saturday.

Ugle-Hagan showed maturity beyond his years by speaking eloquently about the issue moments after the game on Channel Seven and later at coach Luke Beveridge's post-game press conference.

Though he has been overwhelmed by the support he has received from his family, friends and football supporters, Ugle-Hagan has put the onus on fans to call out those who racially vilify players from the stands. The AFL is yet to identify the perpetrator.

"I just want to see someone point them out instead of me having to contact the club and say this happened, Ugle-Hagan said. I'd rather like someone in the fans point them out, let them know it's not the right thing to say"

"And that goes with any race, not just in Aboriginal and Indigenous boys and girls. It's all racism, it's making a stance and just it only takes a little bit just to make a comment like, it's not the best thing to say ... just pulling them up on the spot. It's just going to help and make it better for us.

Ugle-Hagan's voice choked up as he explained moments after the game why he lifted his jumper to the crowd.

I wanted to make a stand and show my presence, obviously what happened last weekend was a pretty hard time, Ugle-Hagan told Channel Seven. Just going out there and proving the point. I'm just a boy trying to play some football, so are the other indigenous boys.

After the game, he spoke alongside Beveridge and said the act was spontaneous.

I knew it was coming up to 30 years since Nicky Winmar did that but it just came in the moment, I didn't know I was going to kick a goal tonight, Ugle-Hagan said.

I felt pretty proud going out there with all my mates who supported me throughout a tough week and then to do that in front of everyone, hopefully, it makes a stance and a moment and hopefully people look back on it 30 years from now and say nothing has happened since.

Hopefully, no one else cops anything that I have been through

Ugle-Hagan, who spent Monday away from Whitten Oval, said he struggled to prepare for the game after the abuse but described the Bulldogs as his safe place.

I was fortunate to have my partner Liv, she supported me throughout the whole day, and that weekend, and then obviously I've had contacts throughout my family and my teammates, they had my back and I had so much support from fans and everyone else, Ugle-Hagan said.

That's what got me through and I knew we've got such a great club. We're all connected. I felt comfortable going into work and going out and training.

You just kind of forget what happens because you haven't so much fun inside those doors.

His teammates celebrated the young star's after-the-siren goal by mobbing him, in one of the best feelgood moments of the season.

I did get a bit emotional, especially when all the boys ran over to me because it was a special moment, Ugle-Hagan said. Not because I kicked five and the way I performed but the week I've had and the boys have supported me throughout the game.

Throughout the week they've also supported me with messages and catching up during training and always ringing me and stuff. But that moment out there was probably a bit emotional because they literally love me. It's so easy to say but we're just not just a football club.

Ugle-Hagan said his mother, Alice, had spoken publicly about his abuse to protect her other sons.

She's a proud mum, she's looked after me since I was a young boy, Ugle-Hagan said. I've still got four younger brothers underneath me so obviously she just doesn't want that to happen to her kids. I don't think anyone wants that to happen to any of their children or cousins.

Ugle-Hagan spoke of the hurt he felt.

I was thinking back in the day would have had it a lot worse. I think now players are getting sick of it and making a stance and we?re pointing it out and sorting it out, Ugle-Hagan said. Everyone's getting behind our back nowadays.

I think those comments definitely hurt ya as an individual. You can hear 1000 compliments and then one bad comment you're going to remember the bad comment and not the 1000 compliments.

It's making a stance and making an impact, and hopefully we just change and educate people that have no idea that that's just racism, it's not allowed.

Beveridge said Ugle-Hagan remained at home on Monday, in part because of his disappointment at being racially abused, and in part because he didn't want to have the same conversation with his clubmates who were concerned about his wellbeing.

Ugle-Hagan accepted the opportunity to present Indigenous debutant Arthur Jones, from Mount Barker in Western Australia, with his jumper a moment both men cherished.

Just do your family proud and your mob, play for your people, Ugle-Hagan told Jones in a video of the jumper presentation posted by the Bulldogs. Go out there and have some fun.″⁣

Jones had a hand in setting up Ugle-Hagan's goal as his tackle on the wing forced the turnover which allowed the ball to be kicked into their forward line.

Earlier in the week, Ugle-Hagan's mother Alice Ugle detailed the abuse her son received during Saturday's clash with St Kilda at Marvel Stadium in an expressive poem posted to Facebook.

My son was racially discriminated against by a St Kilda fan, she wrote on Facebook in a post confirmed by the Western Bulldogs.

Can you believe in 2023 the word c--- is still used?

The word c--- thrown with reckless abandon,

A slur that cuts deep like a sharp abandon,

Its venomous tone, a reflection of hate,

A reminder of how far we still have to go, it's our fate.

But we won't give in, we won't back down,

We'll stand up tall and never let our spirits drown,

For we know that love will always triumph over hate.″⁣
    Last edited by GVGjr; 31-03-2023 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Fixing mutiple issues
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks josie, 1eyedog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?Point them out?: How Ugle-Hagan wants fans to deal with racism

This seems like extremely good advice to footy fans.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Point them out: How Ugle-Hagan wants fans to deal with racism

What is with the weird copy and paste thing that keeps happening where it seems to be converting " and ' into ?

5. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?Point them out?: How Ugle-Hagan wants fans to deal with racism

Fortunately I've never heard racism in the crowd but I would certainly call it out. I have had to ask people on a few occasions to tone down the language when I've taken my kids.

7. Likes bornadog, D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    What is with the weird copy and paste thing that keeps happening where it seems to be converting " and ' into ?
    Just started happening recently.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I've asked the tech guy to see if there is an update that can be organised. It looks like we have two issues with copy and paste and iphone/ipads that might need an upgrade.

I copied and pasted an article into notepad and then copied it again before posting it and there were no issues but that's a workaround not a fix.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I've experienced racism in the past and not because I look at all Indigenous but because people (even in my own team through Juniors) knew I was Indigenous, so it had nothing to do with the colour of my skin. It was my blood. It was difficult because my childhood was very challenging. I was a ward of the state at 12 and in and out of foster care until I was 16 so I had little to no support or role models to help me be resilient. Because I have Indigenous blood and because of the racist comments I received I always felt I was inferior to every other kid at footy and school and it affected my self confidence for many years, and it still does today if I'm being honest.

Many Indigenous kids coming into the AFL system are like that, broken homes, a loss of connection because their families were impacted by the stolen generation or they're just from the mish or remote communities and struggle with big city life. I was very proud of Marra last night for shining a light on this issue. He should be extremely proud of himself and his mob, Eastern Maar, should be proud of him too. I know they are I've already spoken to a few of them this morning.

We're not in the black hole we were in the 70s or 80s but we still have a long way to go, but it's getting brighter and the more light we shine the more people are becoming accepting and that will continue to change as the youth of today become older. Not many people realise it yet but Marra's jumper pull is a defining moment in Australian sport, similar to Winmar's stance 30 years ago. The image of Marra lifting his jumper will be plastered all over the media and will be referred to as the new stance against racism in sport as last night slowly digests. If we take one step forward and three steps back on racism Marra made everyone take five steps forward last night. And he's all ours!

Last night was a changing landscape for our Indigenous program and how we will be viewed by Indigenous footballers externally. It was the pinnacle really of the prior work Brett Goodes injected as our former Indigenous liasion officer developing our Indigenous Action Plan. Also big love to Bevo who specifically brought Trav Varcoe into the club to mentor Marra when he first arrived, Trav created a safe and strong environment for Marra to prosper and now we have Arty bringing exuberance and joy. Indigenous players are good at that and we've missed out for a long time. It was a nice touch to get the whole mob in last night as well. Marra and Arty are proud Bulldogs players, you can tell they love the club and the players love them.

The club has never been in a stronger place culturally.

A week is a long time in footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I've experienced racism in the past and not because I look at all Indigenous but because people (even in my own team through Juniors) knew I was Indigenous, so it had nothing to do with the colour of my skin. It was my blood. It was difficult because my childhood was very challenging. I was a ward of the state at 12 and in and out of foster care until I was 16 so I had little to no support or role models to help me be resilient. Because I have Indigenous blood and because of the racist comments I received I always felt I was inferior to every other kid at footy and school and it affected my self confidence for many years, and it still does today if I'm being honest.

Many Indigenous kids coming into the AFL system are like that, broken homes, a loss of connection because their families were impacted by the stolen generation or they're just from the mish or remote communities and struggle with big city life. I was very proud of Marra last night for shining a light on this issue. He should be extremely proud of himself and his mob, Eastern Maar, should be proud of him too. I know they are I've already spoken to a few of them this morning.

We're not in the black hole we were in the 70s or 80s but we still have a long way to go, but it's getting brighter and the more light we shine the more people are becoming accepting and that will continue to change as the youth of today become older. Not many people realise it yet but Marra's jumper pull is a defining moment in Australian sport, similar to Winmar's stance 30 years ago. The image of Marra lifting his jumper will be plastered all over the media and will be referred to as the new stance against racism in sport as last night slowly digests. If we take one step forward and three steps back on racism Marra made everyone take five steps forward last night. And he's all ours!

Last night was a changing landscape for our Indigenous program and how we will be viewed by Indigenous footballers externally. It was the pinnacle really of the prior work Brett Goodes injected as our former Indigenous liasion officer developing our Indigenous Action Plan. Also big love to Bevo who specifically brought Trav Varcoe into the club to mentor Marra when he first arrived, Trav created a safe and strong environment for Marra to prosper and now we have Arty bringing exuberance and joy. Indigenous players are good at that and we've missed out for a long time. It was a nice touch to get the whole mob in last night as well. Marra and Arty are proud Bulldogs players, you can tell they love the club and the players love them.

1eyedog, thankyou for a great post and sharing your past - a tough beginning in life which none of us would understand unless we experienced it.

This is not a political statement as I don't believe it is politics, but hopefully the YES Vote for the referendum goes through so that finally this country recognise indigenous people in the constitution. All Australians should be proud to be associated with the oldest continuous culture in the world, but sadly racism still exists.

As you said we are in a better place than the past, and hopefully it will continue.

Thanks to Peter Gordon who was determined to do more with our indigenous programme and it is now bearing fruition.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing 1ED, really great post.

14. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

1eye inject this straight into my eyeballs it is brilliant.

I hope the "whydonttheyjustgetoverit" mob have a good read and actually take it in.
    "It's over. It's all over."

17. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that's the aspect the 'anti-woke' mob just doesn't get. You can't say you're 'proud to be white' because the concept of whiteness only really exists to exclude people who are considered non-white. Even light skinned people with a small amount of 'non-white' blood (shoutout to the one drop rule). That's why Obama is a black man but not a white man . That's why Italians and Irish were considered non-white. Even Germans were considered non-white if anyone can believe it (Benjamin Franklin described them as Swarthy). If people need something to be proud of try being proud to be Dutch or European or Australian or whatever. Of just keep it to yourself and don't say racists shit to people. just be normal (that also means don't apologise to random indigenous people for the Stolen Generation if you want to go to the other extreme)

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I do hope we get better as a country and I maybe that starts with the referendum but more importantly moves on to material changes soon after (treaty etc).

Who knows, maybe Mara is actually furthering that goal with his actions this last week.

19. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1eyedog, thanks for sharing and I'm glad to spend my time on the internet in a space where people feel safe to share their intimate stories.

I was so impressed with the way that both Marra and Bevo spoke last night. It is a disgrace that indigenous culture is not more broadly embraced in modern Australian culture. We should all be taught about the genocide that occurred when Australia was invaded, about the incredible history and teachings of the indigenous people who had lived here for so long, and we should be supporting the preservation of as much of their stories and languages as we can.

All of these steps would go a long way to embedding indigenous culture as a strength of our country, rather than it being treated as something to hide under the bed.

21. Thanks Rocco Jones thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    1eyedog, thanks for sharing and I'm glad to spend my time on the internet in a space where people feel safe to share their intimate stories.

I was so impressed with the way that both Marra and Bevo spoke last night. It is a disgrace that indigenous culture is not more broadly embraced in modern Australian culture. We should all be taught about the genocide that occurred when Australia was invaded, about the incredible history and teachings of the indigenous people who had lived here for so long, and we should be supporting the preservation of as much of their stories and languages as we can.

All of these steps would go a long way to embedding indigenous culture as a strength of our country, rather than it being treated as something to hide under the bed.
    It's actually one of the more interesting things we learned about in school and I wish there was more of it (also I hope it's still there and wasn't abolished by some Abbott era policy where we just learn about the Anzacs but don't focus too hard on the futility of war lesson)

Post Thanks / Like