Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  62
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Point them out: How Ugle-Hagan wants fans to deal with racism

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    1eyedog, thanks for sharing and I'm glad to spend my time on the internet in a space where people feel safe to share their intimate stories.

I was so impressed with the way that both Marra and Bevo spoke last night. It is a disgrace that indigenous culture is not more broadly embraced in modern Australian culture. We should all be taught about the genocide that occurred when Australia was invaded, about the incredible history and teachings of the indigenous people who had lived here for so long, and we should be supporting the preservation of as much of their stories and languages as we can.

All of these steps would go a long way to embedding indigenous culture as a strength of our country, rather than it being treated as something to hide under the bed.
    Thanks Jazza, well most of us have been here for a very long time so I didn't mind posting it I know pretty much every poster here is honest, fair and non-judgemental.

We're moving in the right direction Jazza gotta look at it as a 'glass half full situation' sometimes as well.

4. Thanks jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    non-judgemental.
    Well actually you've been bullying me lately so you can bet your backside I'm judging you (just not for this).

I know I know, construction sites etc.
    Last edited by EasternWest; 01-04-2023 at 07:40 AM.
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Well actually you've been bullying me lately so you can bet you're backside I'm judging you (just not for this).

I know I know, construction sites etc.
    It's your penance for a misspent youth EW I just know it.

Post Thanks / Like

An equally powerful image to Winmar's, even more statuesque.
    Shades of images of Martin Luther King.
    AFL is a wonderful forum for promoting pride in identity and acceptance of difference in the community, camera shots included.
    I won't forget this image and what it stands for, Marra's mum and Arty for their roles.
    Personally I intuited, I felt this game would produce great things and posted it here before the game.
    I was not consciously prescient about how great that it would be, Marra becoming what he promised and patently is on call, or higher issues. As Winmar says, Marra accepted the baton as a proud Victorian indigeous player.
    The last Victorian indigenous player in AFL that I know was , David Wirrpanda, what a player and great Wurundjeri balluk senior and ambassador.
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 01-04-2023 at 10:44 PM.

9. Likes josie, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've experienced racism in the past and not because I look at all Indigenous but because people (even in my own team through Juniors) knew I was Indigenous, so it had nothing to do with the colour of my skin. It was my blood. It was difficult because my childhood was very challenging. I was a ward of the state at 12 and in and out of foster care until I was 16 so I had little to no support or role models to help me be resilient. Because I have Indigenous blood and because of the racist comments I received I always felt I was inferior to every other kid at footy and school and it affected my self confidence for many years, and it still does today if I'm being honest.

Many Indigenous kids coming into the AFL system are like that, broken homes, a loss of connection because their families were impacted by the stolen generation or they're just from the mish or remote communities and struggle with big city life. I was very proud of Marra last night for shining a light on this issue. He should be extremely proud of himself and his mob, Eastern Maar, should be proud of him too. I know they are I've already spoken to a few of them this morning.

We're not in the black hole we were in the 70s or 80s but we still have a long way to go, but it's getting brighter and the more light we shine the more people are becoming accepting and that will continue to change as the youth of today become older. Not many people realise it yet but Marra's jumper pull is a defining moment in Australian sport, similar to Winmar's stance 30 years ago. The image of Marra lifting his jumper will be plastered all over the media and will be referred to as the new stance against racism in sport as last night slowly digests. If we take one step forward and three steps back on racism Marra made everyone take five steps forward last night. And he's all ours!

Last night was a changing landscape for our Indigenous program and how we will be viewed by Indigenous footballers externally. It was the pinnacle really of the prior work Brett Goodes injected as our former Indigenous liasion officer developing our Indigenous Action Plan. Also big love to Bevo who specifically brought Trav Varcoe into the club to mentor Marra when he first arrived, Trav created a safe and strong environment for Marra to prosper and now we have Arty bringing exuberance and joy. Indigenous players are good at that and we've missed out for a long time. It was a nice touch to get the whole mob in last night as well. Marra and Arty are proud Bulldogs players, you can tell they love the club and the players love them.

The club has never been in a stronger place culturally.

A week is a long time in footy.
    Thank you for sharing 1eyedog.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

11. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Artist AlkinasCreations's powerful artwork of Jamarra Ugle-Hagan ✊🏾

"Within the design I have placed multiple symbols representing our native animals, waters and lands. This shows the deep connection we have to our countries. Behind Jamarra I have placed a gathering symbol which represents his family, community and Indigenous mob supporting him. Down below I have placed an Elder figure which represents the smoking and cleansing."

Alkina was proud to witness Jamarra play a deadly game and take such a strong stance.

https://www.facebook.com/AlkinasCreations

13. Thanks 1eyedog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Artist AlkinasCreations's powerful artwork of Jamarra Ugle-Hagan ✊

"Within the design I have placed multiple symbols representing our native animals, waters and lands. This shows the deep connection we have to our countries. Behind Jamarra I have placed a gathering symbol which represents his family, community and Indigenous mob supporting him. Down below I have placed an Elder figure which represents the smoking and cleansing."

Alkina was proud to witness Jamarra play a deadly game and take such a strong stance.

https://www.facebook.com/AlkinasCreations
    Love it

Post Thanks / Like

How the heck do we as a community get this behaviour to stop?

Since Jamarra was vilified Izak Rankine, Michael Walters and Nathan Wilson have been racially vilified on social media.

I am staggered by it.
    Last edited by azabob; 11-04-2023 at 08:00 PM.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Likes bornadog, EasternWest, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Since Jamarra was vilified Isaac Rankine, Michael Walters and Nathan Wilson have been racially vilified on social media.

I am staggered by it.
    You can't make it stop. That's the sad part.

Just keep fighting the good fight and hopefully we can manage it to an acceptable level. (none I know, but....)

Not sure if you've been following Serie A at all lately, it's absolutely rife over there.

18. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Since Jamarra was vilified Izak Rankine, Michael Walters and Nathan Wilson have been racially vilified on social media.

I am staggered by it.
    That's how. Farkwits now have a massively amplified voice, so farkwits are gonna farkwit. Especially when they are hiding behind anonymous aliases with zero chance of accountability for their words.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah can't stop it from here I'm afraid. At least not for another generation or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah can't stop it from here I'm afraid. At least not for another generation or two.
    I don't believe it will ever stop.

Edit: Brisbane have put out a statement re Charlie Cameron being abused on Social media.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps if the AFEL acted with more conviction on the many incidences of racism on its watch, and maybe owned the problem as a platform for listening, growth and vocal leadership on the issue rather than slimy brand management, more of the rank and file might just get the message.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

23. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Perhaps if the AFEL acted with more conviction on the many incidences of racism on its watch, and maybe owned the problem as a platform for listening, growth and vocal leadership on the issue rather than slimy brand management, more of the rank and file might just get the message.
    What would be really helpful if there was a single, big story that affected multiple clubs and high profile people in the game for the AFL to use as a springboard to deal with racism in the game and a turningpoint where it's no longer tolerated in the crowd/among supporters. I doubt something so convenient will just appear though.

/s

25. Likes josie, EasternWest, Rocket Science liked this post