Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Will 23 years old today - Sport stars Will Minson and Madeleine Pape a good team

Scott Gullan Article from: Herald Sun

April 11, 2008 12:00am
    WILL Minson might be like a human wrecking ball on the football field but he's a gentle giant at home, according to his girlfriend, track star Madeleine Pape.

The Western Bulldogs ruckman, who celebrates his 23rd birthday today, is actually the calming influence of the glamour sporting couple.

Pape, who will be running the 800m for Australia at the Beijing Olympics, says her boyfriend of three years is the opposite of the 199cm giant who terrorises his opponents.

"We are very different athletes," Pape said.

"He is fairly laid-back and when he gets home he switches off, while I tend to carry it with me all the time.

"We have a good balance because he's pretty calm."

While a Bulldogs victory against Essendon tonight would be the ideal birthday gift, Minson is likely to get some "practical things" from his girlfriend.

"I'll be getting him things he needs, like socks or something like that," Pape said.

Both have experienced sport's highs and lows with Pape returning from injuries to win a spot in the Olympic team at last month's trials.

Minson, who is playing his 45th game tonight, has suffered a broken leg and season-ending back injury over the past two years.

But he has found a new lease of life as a key forward this season and been influential in the Bulldogs' perfect 3-0 start.

But it was Pape, not Minson, who made the first move when they met.

"I asked him to go out for coffee because he was very nervous and very reserved," she said.

"I thought if I wait for him I'll be waiting for months."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Will 23 years old today - Sport stars Will Minson and Madeleine Pape a good t

I am expecting a big game from Will tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Will 23 years old today - Sport stars Will Minson and Madeleine Pape a good t

Aaww how sweet . Ive met both of them and there both awesome people. Will got so much time for everyone and he'll always stay and have a chat with people.

Post Thanks / Like

Super babies. Ruckman sprinting 800m while carrying 100+kgs.

Or the opposite

Post Thanks / Like

Will needs to get to 100 games, then focus on starting a family.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Will needs to get to 100 games, then focus on starting a family.
    You'd hope any daughters don't have his looks and build.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    He wont have daughters, he wont have daughters, he wont have daughters...

Post Thanks / Like

Or other body parts!

Post Thanks / Like

By the way has Granty got any boys???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Yes, he has a young son.
    I really want to see his son play for some reason.

Has the father son rule gone too far

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I really want to see his son play for some reason.

Has the father son rule gone too far
    With the way the AFL meddles with rules but the time Minson junior is ready to play the FS option will probably be gone.

I don't care if some teams do better than others with FS selections, if we got outbid for someone like Chris Grant's son then I would be PO'd with the AFL not the club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He'll have no trouble carrying her over the threshold if they get married.

Could probably do it with one arm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    With the way the AFL meddles with rules but the time Minson junior is ready to play the FS option will probably be gone.

I don't care if some teams do better than others with FS selections, if we got outbid for someone like Chris Grant's son then I would be PO'd with the AFL not the club.
    I wish they hadn't whinged about the F/S rule and got it changed because I love the concept. They should be making it easier for sons to play at their father's club, not harder.

The only way to beat the draft is to breed them yourselves and I don't give a bugger how many extra first rounders Geelong gets, as long as every club plays by the same rules.

PS I notice a Smedts was named in the bests in the U16's. Alby certainly wouldn't have played 100 games though.

Post Thanks / Like

PS I notice a Smedts was named in the bests in the U16's. Alby certainly wouldn't have played 100 games though.
    51 games between 1976-79. Quick enough for you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    51 games between 1976-79. Quick enough for you?
    What are you doing up at 3am?