Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Champion data reveals how mcrae's bizarre plan forced saints into massive turnover numbers

I thought these tactics were interesting to discuss and something we should be doing against teams like Saints.

Link

Sunday?s win over St Kilda was another feather in the cap of Magpies coach Craig McRae, whose ?ridiculous? tactic ultimately won Collingwood the game.

The two form sides of the competition lined up against each other to conclude Gather Round at the Adelaide Oval and it was McRae?s Pies that edged out the Saints by six points.

McRae has been lauded for surging Collingwood back into contention so quickly and looks poised to have his team primed for September again.

Champion Data?s Daniel Hoyne was particularly taken by the Magpies? team defence on the weekend.

?I just wanted to give a bit of love in terms of what Collingwood actually force you to do in terms of how they defend,? he began on SEN?s Sportsday.

?They make you play a style that is not (what you want).?

It was the Saints? first loss of the season and Hoyne believes they were forced into a different game style than what they?d played for the first month under Ross Lyon.

?We talked about this a couple of weeks ago that St Kilda have been using the boundary more than any other team that we?ve seen before in the first four weeks of the year,? Hoyne continued.

?They?re using the boundary around about 65 per cent of the time which is off the charts sort of stuff.

?But against Collingwood, Collingwood force them to actually try and be more aggressive in terms of how they actually use the ball.

?They clogged up the boundary, which sounds ridiculous, to actually force St Kilda to come back through the corridor, try and take more risks and then Collingwood will pick you off.?

An industry expectation is to typically force teams wide to lessen the speed at which they can move the ball.

But Hoyne says the ?ridiculous? tactic was the driving factor behind the Magpies? win.

?St Kilda use the boundary 65 per cent of the time. Against Collingwood, that was only 40 per cent of the time,? he explained.

?As a result, they?re trying to ping off these kicks back in the midfield, they turned the ball over 57 times through that midfield zone between the arcs. That?s the second most of any team this year.

?A low-scoring game, Collingwood score five goals of their 10 goals through St Kilda turning the ball over through that midfield zone.

?We haven?t seen St Kilda do that throughout the year. They weren?t allowed to play the boundary game that has been so successful for them in the first four weeks of the year.

?So hats off to what Collingwood forces you to do defensively? this defensive system that they?ve got, which is so aggressive, is so impressive to watch.?

McRae?s plan undoubtedly played into his side?s inside 50 dominance, winning that stat 64-50.

Collingwood will look to keep the momentum rolling at Anzac Day in a week's time, while St Kilda - which still sits atop the ladder - faces Carlton on Sunday.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes macca, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Champion data reveals how mcrae's bizarre plan forced saints into massive turnover numbers

I wonder how much the narrower and longer ground had to do with that. You can't take distance wide so you need to use length and angle kicks.

If you're a team that relies on speed and pressure vs. skill then you're a chance to fall over because of it.

But I guess it could be Collingwood. I mean, it would be interesting to see how much of the game is played along the boundary and what that actually means, at Adelaide Oval.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Champion data reveals how mcrae's bizarre plan forced saints into massive turnover numbers

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I wonder how much the narrower and longer ground had to do with that. You can't take distance wide so you need to use length and angle kicks.

If you're a team that relies on speed and pressure vs. skill then you're a chance to fall over because of it.

But I guess it could be Collingwood. I mean, it would be interesting to see how much of the game is played along the boundary and what that actually means, at Adelaide Oval.
    We seem to play mainly along the Boundary but Port switched to the corridor as often as possible.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

JJ has been the only runner that's taken on the game between the square line and the logos and gotten penetration into the forward line with run, with the likes of Dale, Daniel and Richards (who has been excellent with his kicking at times in different ways) seemingly lacking confidence.

I look at how we're playing and feel we can catch fire a bit with a bit of a different mindset exiting the defencive fifty. Get Macrae using his feet to change angles on top of that, with Bont getting some more corridor ball and we all of a sudden look a different team.

The forward line will be less congested if we get if forward more directly as well.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Scorlibo liked this post