Thanks Thanks:  376
Likes Likes:  1,494
Page 103 of 158 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2357
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I hate it too. It sucks that most of our star players seem to want out.
    That is a big statement??? Most means more than 70/80% - I don't think so.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I think we are all just still hurting from Dunkley and now "playing it safe" with regards to Smith.

The system is just so broken. We would have received more for Dunkley via compensation than we did for actually trading him (I know he wasnt eligible)
    Absolutely - if you're out of contract, you're effectively a free agent.

Until a player hits free agency, clubs should be able to move players on to the highest bidder. Players being able to 'nominate' and block a trade to any other club has ruined the system. Clubs would then be fairly compensated for players and Geelong doesn't get a ridiculous advantage because they're close to the beach.

The argument that players don't make enough to be forced around the country is getting pretty shallow when the average wage is about to pass 500k per year.

3. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McClure still saying hawks after Smith this off-season. Said hawks willing to offer pick 3.
    Id take that.

But I imagine if my Shocktober vibes I?ve been having for 6 weeks come to pass (Smith, Lobb, others and no assistants) then some at the club need to fall on their sword. And commit to a full rebuild.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I don't think many have much substance but people seem to believe positive news and scoff at anything that can be slightly negative. FWIW I read this from a friend who messaged me last night before bed, has a bit more to do with VFL stuff but has decent sources and no, they don't follow BF. I kind of laughed about it but then found it had grown legs by morning. It is what it is, a rumour. We'll find out in a few weeks I guess.
    There is someone on Twitter who set up a handle with something like AFLtrade center and has put out all sorts of rumours like Bont going to Geelong and people get sucked in.

Trade week next week, so let's see what happens.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Absolutely - if you're out of contract, you're effectively a free agent.

Until a player hits free agency, clubs should be able to move players on to the highest bidder. Players being able to 'nominate' and block a trade to any other club has ruined the system. Clubs would then be fairly compensated for players and Geelong doesn't get a ridiculous advantage because they're close to the beach.

The argument that players don't make enough to be forced around the country is getting pretty shallow when the average wage is about to pass 500k per year.
    Perhaps it should be something 'unlocked' at a certain wage (eg over the average) because there's a big difference between trading around a Tom Campbell to all corners of the country vs a Jeremy Cameron

7. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    ? those reviewing themselves survived the review?
    Who already reviewed themselves 12 months earlier and survived that review as well.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Who already reviewed themselves 12 months earlier and survived that review as well.
    You can see why some people don’t take us as a serious club. They can get stuffed. But you can sometimes see whey they think it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That is a big statement??? Most means more than 70/80% - I don't think so.
    How many star players do we have? At present we have all of Smith, English, Naughton and JUH out of contract next season and not committing by putting pen to paper.

Of course it doesn't mean they want out. But they're not necessarily showing they want to stay either. This is the last trade period we have to get max value for them if they intend on leaving. Why is it so problematic for them to re-sign? If it's just a numbers thing then fine, but I wouldn't be confident. Something reeks at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Who will review the reviewers?

13. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Perhaps it should be something 'unlocked' at a certain wage (eg over the average) because there's a big difference between trading around a Tom Campbell to all corners of the country vs a Jeremy Cameron
    Imagining the contract jockeying when $499,000 suddenly becomes the most sought-after AFL wage

15. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who will review the reviewers?
    No one. That’s why they reviewed themselves.

17. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Imagining the contract jockeying when $499,000 suddenly becomes the most sought-after AFL wage
    Semi-serious thought, because it's already a thing in other sports (eg: the NHL), but if clubs are given the ability to trade without player consent you might offset that by permitting players to negotiate no-movement clauses in their contracts, or limited-movement clauses.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

19. Thanks lemmon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Semi-serious thought, because it's already a thing in other sports (eg: the NHL), but if clubs are given the ability to trade without player consent you might offset that by permitting players to negotiate no-movement clauses in their contracts, or limited-movement clauses.
    I'm not sure anyone would have an issue with that.

Yes - we will reduce your salary by 15% but allow you to have a no-trade clause.
    Yes - we will increase your salary by 10% but you need to agree that we can trade you in the off-season trading period.
    Yes - we will increase your salary by 20% but you need to agree that we can trade you in ANY trade period - off-season or mid-year - as we see fit.

Yes - I think a mid-season trade period is coming.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

21. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ADELAIDE restricted free agent Tom Doedee wants to land at Brisbane in the off-season.

AFL.com.au's Trade and Draft expert Cal Twomey reported on Wednesday that the Crows defender wants to end up at the Lions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking on the mechanics by combining various rumours)

Smith - Pick 4 (HAW)
    Lobb & F3 (from GCS) - F1
    Picks 11, 18 & F1 (from Dees) - Pick 5, 47 (points), F3 & Hollands

If Dees thought they could win a flag with Lobb, then it’s a 25 pick downgrade for that chance.

Pick 4 (McKercher/Duursma), Pick 5 (Stevens), Croft (1st Round) & Hollands (Fmr. Pick 7)

Two young mids (taken top 10)
    One young small forward (taken top 10)
    One 200cm KPD/KPF (taken first round)
    Maintain our F1

Pups: Darcy, JOD, JUH, Buss, Clarke, Gags, Arty

That’s a quick fire rebuild.

24. Thanks josie, Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, Dancin' Douggy, Dry Rot liked this post