Thanks Thanks:  376
Likes Likes:  1,494
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I'd like to keep Smith but if he won't commit to us now, we're better of selling high now.
    And if Marra, Naughts and English won't commit now let's get rid of them too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Based on all that do you think we are currently a serious club? It all feels like amateur hour at the moment.
    Of course we are a serious club, what does that even mean. I don't understand the nonsense talk. We are run professionally on and off the field. The AFL and the clubs are a different beast these days compared to the years prior to TV rights when big dollars came in and changed every thing.

How is it amateur hour?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post

Lots of funny insights on the night seeing footballers with their guards down. One moment that sticks out, that at the after party on the balcony, we ran into Roberty Murphy who was smoking.
    What was Bob smoking?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How is it amateur hour?
    Literally everything sedat said

Post Thanks / Like

How is it amateur hour?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Of course we are a serious club, what does that even mean. I don't understand the nonsense talk. We are run professionally on and off the field. The AFL and the clubs are a different beast these days compared to the years prior to TV rights when big dollars came in and changed every thing.

How is it amateur hour?
    BAD surely you have a little wiggle room in your opinion around how we are travelling?
    It's not great atm.

Post Thanks / Like

The spiral into masochistic self loathing is fascinating but also a bit worrying to me.

I really hope we get some good news soon.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

9. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    And if Marra, Naughts and English won't commit now let's get rid of them too.
    We wouldnt be getting rid of them. They'd be wanting out.

It all depends on the communication between them and the club. I'd hate to think they're all as bad as Dosh Junkley and couldn't give a crap about the club at all. I'd hope if they seriously intended to leave, they'd let that be known NOW. Otherwise they're committed and will sign when the $$$ are right.

I'm also hoping Dosh really is the evil person I think he is and lied to the club. Otherwise We're even more amateurish if we knew he wanted to leave and held on to him one season too many.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

I really hope we get some good news soon.
    Just a gut feel but perhaps by as soon as Friday we will start to get some more positive news.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    BAD surely you have a little wiggle room in your opinion around how we are travelling?
    It's not great atm.
    There is a difference between losing games and amateur hour. The club is a professional football club, and clubs win and lose games.

Of course I am disappointed by the season, losing games, but we move on, we trade and draft, bring in new staff and we see what happens next year. Life goes on GG.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Literally everything sedat said
    That is not amateur hour???

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Teams win and lose

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Is it possible that we've made enough room for a few assistant coaches that will make a difference? And a new head of high performance?

Outside of sacking Bevo, what else should the club have done so far this off season? Until the replacement assistants are in, and until we see how the coaching crew are structured and performed, it's probably a little early to judge the actions of post-season 2023, isn't it?

I would add that, while optimistic, I'm also nervous that we don't have coaches appointed. The sooner the team is appointed and settled, the better off we'll be.
    The sample size of failure is 2 years, and I am judging failure based on the club's own set metrics of where they expected the club to be (which was to contend for top 4/premiership from 2021 onwards) - we met those metrics in 2021 and it is undeniable that we have significantly failed to meet our own internal expectations since then, and by a long way.

Failure to achieve goals is ok, so long as there is an attitudinal shift and real intent from the entire organisation to forensically review the methods/systems that caused the failure in the first place so that they are not repeated. The fact that we didn't even bother to review the GF 2 years ago honestly is unacceptable for all concerned - you reap what you sow, and it is no surprise that we have kept losing the same way since then. It is also unacceptable that we didn't release the parameters of the "thorough review" 12 months ago, which resulted in an even further regression in performance this year.

The good news, as you rightly point out, is that we have this off-season to do what we failed to do post GF 2021 and especially post 2022 - get under the hood, have a full look at all on-field operations and make decisions to get the club back to where it believes it should already be (and stay there), and actually have the basic respect to this time articulate these decisions to the fans. Will they? I sincerely hope so.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a difference between losing games and amateur hour. The club is a professional football club, and clubs win and lose games.

Of course I am disappointed by the season, losing games, but we move on, we trade and draft, bring in new staff and we see what happens next year. Life goes on GG.
    Fair. I think a lot of us had this attitude last year (although I had concerns prior to 2021) and were prepared to trust the club to right the ship.

But the trust has been lost after a diabolical 2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course mate. It's ok to be constructively critical too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Fair. I think a lot of us had this attitude last year (although I had concerns prior to 2021) and were prepared to trust the club to right the ship.

But the trust has been lost after a diabolical 2023.
    Who knows what is going to happen? We could slide further for all I know, but you wouldn't think so. I just have fingers crossed, and stay positive and hope for the best.