Thanks Thanks:  376
Likes Likes:  1,494
Page 71 of 158 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 2357
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

LION STAYS LOYAL

In-demand small forward Kai Lohmann has re-signed with Brisbane, despite an array of rival clubs circling him.

Lohmann has struggled to break into the strong Lions starting 22 since being drafted with Pick 20 in the 2021 draft.

Subsequently, multiple Victorian clubs ? including Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs and Essendon ? had been monitoring his situation in recent months. The Bulldogs targeted Lohmann last year during trade negotiations surrounding Josh Dunkley.

But 7 News Melbourne reporter Mitch Cleary on Wednesday night reported on X that Lohmann had ?turned his back on strong rival interest? and was set to re-sign with Brisbane.

The Lions on Thursday confirmed Lohmann had signed a new two-year deal, securing to the club until at least the end of the 2025 season.

?What made me re-sign was the great group that we?ve got here, the support and love everyone has for each other is like family and the relationships I?ve made are great and I have so much fun with my best mates every day,? Lohmann said.

?I?m excited for the next couple of years ahead and what it might hold for this footy club and myself individually - I?m ready to work hard and learn off the coaches and my teammates to get better every day and to achieve what I want to achieve.

?I feel like I haven?t achieved what I was hoping in playing more AFL so I?m excited to do that over the next few years and really make a name for myself.

?It?s obviously shattering being injured but I?m over the moon the boys are doing so well and ready to bring energy to the group in these exciting weeks ahead hopefully.?

Drafted out of the GWV Rebels, the 185cm forward was the last first-round pick from the 2021 draft to to pen a contract extension beyond the initial two-year deal.

Lohmann has played eight games in two seasons for Brisbane, with five of them as either the starting sub or the player subbed out mid-game.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...f364cdbb801fa7

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ch7 via Mitch Cleary reporting Lohmann wants to stay with Brisbane
    Brisbane have confirmed he has re-signed for 2 years.

Edit: B4L beat me to it.

3. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I want us to have depth in the ruck from somewhere.
    I guess his KPP form in the SANFL means he's versatile enough. I really haven't seen enough to say whether this is inherently good or bad.
    Looks mobile enough to interest Bevo, would be a reasonable break glass in emergency option
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Looks mobile enough to interest Bevo, would be a reasonable break glass in emergency option
    North and GWS have been linked to him too.

Post Thanks / Like

A bit about Teakle before his debut last year:

Port recruit's meteoric rise from obscurity to No.1 ruck in 17 days

BRYNN Teakle has the upside and natural talent to help solve Port Adelaide's ruck riddle in the short term before establishing himself as a forward/ruck in the mould of Fremantle's Rory Lobb, according to his former WAFL coach.

Teakle will make the incredible leap from state-league big man to AFL No.1 ruckman after just 17 days when he lines up for the Power against Sydney at Adelaide Oval on Saturday.

The circumstances of the 22-year-old's rise have plenty to do with Port's own ruck issues, but that should not discount the Northampton product's own talent and determination to earn a chance at the top level.

East Fremantle coach Bill Monaghan has been pushing Teakle's name to AFL clubs for three years and said the charismatic big man should flourish in a full-time professional environment.

"I think there's a fair bit of growth in his game and he probably gives Port something they don't have, which is an athletic big man who runs and gets involved in ball movement," Monaghan told AFL.com.au.

"We actually talked about whether he could play as a wingman in our competition, so it's hard to pigeonhole him as a ruckman and we think he's more of a Rory Lobb type player.

"He's done very little ruck craft, so his ruck work has all been natural ability as opposed to being taught the intricacies of being an AFL ruckman.

"There's a fair bit of upside with him you would think and he's a legitimate late developer, so he's probably 22 going on 20 in terms of his physique."

Teakle was plucked from the Sharks with pick No.8 in the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft as Port Adelaide targeted a specific need for the second half of the season.

His instant impact at the Power has seen him move past Sam Hayes for now and encouraged coach Ken Hinkley to play a ruckman after his team's makeshift set-up in round 13.

As late as Thursday morning this week, tall forward Jeremy Finlayson was again expecting to carry the ruck against the Swans alongside fellow key-position player Charlie Dixon and with help from midfielder Sam Powell-Pepper.

But with Teakle's arrival the club can inject an athletic ruck option into the 22 and have confidence that he has mixed it with AFL-standard big men before.

"What piqued a bit of interest in him was when he was rucking against Lloyd Meek from Fremantle's list in round one in a WAFL game and he more than held his own," Monaghan said.

"He was competitive at the stoppages, but he was probably better than Meek around the ground, and Meek has turned into a pretty decent ruckman when he has played at AFL level.

"That showed people he can play against that type of player."

Teakle will debut against former Power ruck/forward Peter Ladhams, who was a solid back-up to Scott Lycett in recent seasons before leaving in search of more opportunities.

Ladhams' improvement at Sydney in the absence of the injured Tom Hickey has been significant, averaging career-best disposals (16.7), hitouts (21.4) and clearances (4.1) at his second club.

Teakle measures up almost identically, however, at 203cm and 97kg, after putting on up to eight kilograms in an off-season that saw him grow in confidence.

Hailing from Northampton, he joins Jamie and Patrick Cripps, Josh Kennedy, Harry Taylor, Paul Hasleby, Tarkyn and Andrew Lockyer, Daniel Chick and Liam Anthony as AFL players from the small town in WA's north-west.

"He's a really personable kid, he's got a good sense of humour, and he warms to people straight away," Monaghan said.

"He's got a bit of personality and he's got a lot more confident in his own ability, so he would have got to training and he's not a shrinking violet. He would have had a bit of a crack.

"He's not afraid to do the work."

7. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    LION STAYS LOYAL

In-demand small forward Kai Lohmann has re-signed with Brisbane, despite an array of rival clubs circling him.

Lohmann has struggled to break into the strong Lions starting 22 since being drafted with Pick 20 in the 2021 draft.

Subsequently, multiple Victorian clubs ? including Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs and Essendon ? had been monitoring his situation in recent months. The Bulldogs targeted Lohmann last year during trade negotiations surrounding Josh Dunkley.

But 7 News Melbourne reporter Mitch Cleary on Wednesday night reported on X that Lohmann had ?turned his back on strong rival interest? and was set to re-sign with Brisbane.

The Lions on Thursday confirmed Lohmann had signed a new two-year deal, securing to the club until at least the end of the 2025 season.

?What made me re-sign was the great group that we?ve got here, the support and love everyone has for each other is like family and the relationships I?ve made are great and I have so much fun with my best mates every day,? Lohmann said.

?I?m excited for the next couple of years ahead and what it might hold for this footy club and myself individually - I?m ready to work hard and learn off the coaches and my teammates to get better every day and to achieve what I want to achieve.

?I feel like I haven?t achieved what I was hoping in playing more AFL so I?m excited to do that over the next few years and really make a name for myself.

?It?s obviously shattering being injured but I?m over the moon the boys are doing so well and ready to bring energy to the group in these exciting weeks ahead hopefully.?

Drafted out of the GWV Rebels, the 185cm forward was the last first-round pick from the 2021 draft to to pen a contract extension beyond the initial two-year deal.

Lohmann has played eight games in two seasons for Brisbane, with five of them as either the starting sub or the player subbed out mid-game.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...f364cdbb801fa7
    Not really sure he's made the best decision for himself in this regard by staying at the Lions where he's likely to continue playing 2nds but oh well. I wonder if we had made a play for him/were confident of getting him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Cal Twomey has linked us to delisted Port ruckman Brynn Teakle. How sweet!
    A couple of clubs are apparently interested. He'd be a decent back up
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

ROOS LOOM FOR LATE PICK CHASE

NORTH Melbourne shapes as a possible late contender for Gold Coast's prized pick No.4 if the Roos are granted an early selection as part of their assistance package from the AFL.

The Roos currently hold picks No.2 and 14 (tied to Port Adelaide) but are also expected to gain pick No.3 for Ben McKay's free agency compensation.

Clubs believe they could also be awarded a mid-first round pick ? at No.11 ? as part of an assistance package from the AFL, with a potential other pick next year at the end of the first round as part of an extended, staggered handout.

A decision will come next week from the AFL Commission, with some of the Gold Coast's model of their 2019 assistance package potentially in play.

The Roos' delegation last week met with the League to put forward their case for AFL assistance after winning 12 of their past 84 games. Any priority access for Ryley Sanders is now considered unlikely.

If awarded the pick in the middle of the first round, the Roos will then become a late contender for the Suns' pick if they packaged pick No.11 and Port Adelaide's first-round pick together to move up the board and give the Suns extra points to match for their trio of gun Academy players.

The Western Bulldogs are currently in a strong position to land the pick given they hold picks No.10 and Brisbane's first-rounder, with Melbourne and Adelaide also vying for the pick.

The second layer that is important for whoever gets the selection is the appeal for the Suns to then keep on trading back down the draft while accruing points.

It means that, for instance, if the Dogs traded for it, the Suns would then likely put the Dogs' pick No.10 up for trade as well to see if they can push back but maintain a strong hand of picks. ? Callum Twomey
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A couple of clubs are apparently interested. He'd be a decent back up
    I like Teakle - he played a bit of WAFL. He plays with great effort and enthusiasm...I think he's still only young. Ruckman set the tone in many ways and I think he's a senior player.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Thanks SquirrelGrip, HOSE B ROMERO, josie thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, Bulldog Revolution, Mofra, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew trading up to pick 4 was too good to be true.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

14. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I knew trading up to pick 4 was too good to be true.
    I posted about this the other day, KWW, Bains & Grant need to be all over the AFEL to make sure the pick 11 can’t be used against us. We shouldn’t be collateral damage. If it’s a swap for 2 into 1, or that they must use the pick for depth reasons, the AFEL shouldn’t punish us to regard their incompetence. Pick 11 should have strings attached, I think using it at the draft is a fair expectation.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I like Teakle - he played a bit of WAFL. He plays with great effort and enthusiasm...I think he's still only young. Ruckman set the tone in many ways and I think he's a senior player.
    About to turn 24 so should be mature enough hold his own if required.

Do you agree with the Rory Lobb comparison from his old WAFL coach in the article I posted?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I posted about this the other day, KWW, Bains & Grant need to be all over the AFEL to make sure the pick 11 can’t be used against us. We shouldn’t be collateral damage. If it’s a swap for 2 into 1, or that they must use the pick for depth reasons, the AFEL shouldn’t punish us to regard their incompetence. Pick 11 should have strings attached, I think using it at the draft is a fair expectation.
    I don't think they should get any draft capital. They created their own mess and if the afel keep rewarding teams for careless decisions then clubs will simply continue to gut their lists knowing the afel will fast track their rebuild at the expense of the other clubs. The cycle will forever continue and whatsmore the ripple effects of these handouts just creates the next problem child.

Combine the handouts with the arbitrary free agency compensation and then any expansion clubs and you've got a broken system for rebuilding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    About to turn 24 so should be mature enough hold his own if required.

Do you agree with the Rory Lobb comparison from his old WAFL coach in the article I posted?
    Bill knows more about footy than me and will likely coach his second club to a WAFL flag this weekend, but nope - I don't get the Lobb comparison.

Teakle runs around, jumps, provides a target - and he seems to LOVE playing in the ruck. I'm not a Lobb fan because he seems to want the ball kicked TO HIM rather than making space/working into space to create a target...

Lobb is a nice mark with those telescopic arms of his and - I think - would be a really (REALLY) good AFL ruckman if he embraced it as he shows those 10-15minute periods of strong contested footy once every 4-weeks...but it just isn't his thing. Teakle can't do that stuff but he plays with ENERGY and really embraces the physicality of the game.

That said - I really haven't seen him play all year.

19. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Not really sure he's made the best decision for himself in this regard by staying at the Lions where he's likely to continue playing 2nds but oh well. I wonder if we had made a play for him/were confident of getting him.
    Some players have selection anxiety. They would rather stay where they are and be an 'almost' than go somewhere else and become a 'nope'.

I remember there was an ex-Hawthorn tall forward who wrote for the age for a bit - he posted an article about being recruited by (I think) the Saints after a few years at Hawthorn...he 'Stayed Loyal'. A few years later he noted that on reflection, he had made a poor decision - St Kilda WANTED him and wanted him to play. Hawthorn? Well, he was a nice to have backup who everyone liked.

Lohmann is making a poor decision. His agent is making a poor decision. That's OK. Maybe McCarthy retires and he can find a spot next year. Maybe.