Thanks Thanks:  376
Likes Likes:  1,494
Page 83 of 158 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293133 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2357
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Sanchez View Post
    Finn Callaghan...

We absolutely need to go all in and get this kid. An absolute beast of a rover in the making. Dogs fan as a kid. Related to Bevo. Lets do it.
    Is a jet this kid. You would give up the early pick for him.

From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Is a jet this kid. You would give up the early pick for him.
    I think with a few years development already in him, I'd consider getting our hands on pick 4, which ever way we can, and then packaging that up with our first for next year to the Giants. The latter will obviously be around pick 18ish next year...

Would the Giants bite at that offer?

3. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think with a few years development already in him, I'd consider getting our hands on pick 4, which ever way we can, and then packaging that up with our first for next year to the Giants. The latter will obviously be around pick 18ish next year...

Do you think after giving him an extra two years this year they would give him up?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we think Buka Khamis may be interested in staying at the club since Tim O'Brian and potentially Hayden Crozier not being offered a contract for next year. He may of been told that he has a chance of being in the best 22 in the backline since we have many tall options up forward. He and Busslinger may share the third tall/intercept defender position.

6. Likes josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you think after giving him an extra two years this year they would give him up?
    I think so. I think that move is more strategic than anything, to ensure they have some coverage and weight should a negotiation eventuate. Its definitely worth having a crack though - he'd add instant value and pace - to our side.

Post Thanks / Like

I don' think so, I feel like we would need a substantially larger offer to entice the Giants. The Giants seem to be developing their midfield around Green and Callaghan for the future with Kelly and Conigilo getting older.

9. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think so. I think that move is more strategic than anything, to ensure they have some coverage and weight should a negotiation eventuate. Its definitely worth having a crack though - he'd add instant value and pace - to our side.
    We could always ask

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongBulldog View Post
    I don' think so, I feel like we would need a substantially larger offer to entice the Giants. The Giants seem to be developing their midfield around Green and Callaghan for the future with Kelly and Conigilo getting older.
    Agree.

If Callaghan really wanted to leave and made it known, then maybe they would let him go. It would have to be a big offer and GWS would want a lot for him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

They've had / got so many picks over the years they probably wouldn't.
    You need the player to want out. Tanner Bruhn style another kid who I think is a jet and the bloody Cats I guarantee were into him from day dot as a Geelong kid.
    Soon nobody will draft Geelong kids they all want to go home to G Town...!

Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask, did you follow the discussion from #1180 ? because it seems like you didn't - BTW: I don't disagree with your points put forward.

In Summary, it was a discussion on Lobb and whether it was an error in recruiting him.
    Ultimately it will be judged by team success and I did put the qualifier of "so far it has failed" in my post.

I don't mind Lobb, think we overpaid for him by a lot and believe he is too similar to English to make it work well.

Having said all that my point wasn't about it being an error to recruit him, I was simply answering the question of why we recruited him.

13. Likes bornadog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buku would be crazy to stay, he will be playing VFL round 1 just like Sweet would be if he stayed. I’ve got a soft spot for Buku but he wont be getting game time at the dogs, his agent is negligent in his duty if he stays.

How could the club even consider Crozier a chance to stay on the list? He has been good for us Croz but he is absolutely cooked.

15. Likes macca, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We recruited Lobb for the second ruck/fwd role. This board and many supporters have for years whinged about Dunkley, Hannan, Bont etc being second rucks.

Please don't come back at me with Sweet/Tim, because Tim has proven he is First ruck with his AA, and Sweet has no hope of being a second ruck/fwd.
    And rightly so. It was ludicrous and never looked like working for 1 second.

The fact that the whinging had to keep going for many years simply is part of the proof that someone has no idea of how to have a winning game plan.

Even English being the competition?s best ruckman and the eternal dream coming true with Lobb?s arrival simply allowed us to continue watching the ship slowly sink. Even the spectacular victory over the Geelong seconds in the last game doesn?t adequately hide the fact that the go-to plan has been a stinker for years.

The appalling last half of the season shows that English is irrelevant in any discussion of our problem of being irrelevant.

17. Likes macca, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great points Danjul
    I honestly dont get it . We have an AA ruckman , who just does not dominant when up against good rucks
    Our game plan goes to crap when not tackling , poor fwd craft defense , and teams just kick bags against us on the run . Watching Carlton get oansied by Brisbane after half time , made me sad , another year wasted.
    Out with the sh$&@@$t game plan
    Stop recruting fridge players who just clog up our list.
    Develop the younger players in a specific position of their strenghs

19. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dee's are going to make another play for Naughton this off season.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

21. Thanks Dry Rot, The Doctor, SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    How is the bolded bit relevant at all to actual team success? The only team "success" we've had since Tim was prematurely thrust into the 1st ruck role at the start of 2019 (at great cost as previously documented in several key games including finals from 2019-2022) was the first 6 weeks of 2021 when we had a very different type of player as no 1 ruck (Martin) with Tim causing havoc as 2nd ruck/forward. That team "success'' was replicated again in the PF and first 2.5 qtrs of the GF same season, with the exact same personnel/ruck set-up.

Bringing in Lobb as 2nd ruck/forward and Tim elevating his game to AA ruckman in 2023 has actually seen us go backwards from the previous year (obviously not directly Tim's fault), and the previous year was very poor and under-performing compared to the largely excellent season before that - it's concerning pattern to say the least, especially as the age/experience profile is going in the opposite direction. All we should care about is how THE TEAM will get better in 2024 so we can actually contend for another premiership, an expectation directly in line with our own internal metrics. If English having a banner year and Lobb coming in has seen us go backwards (not to mention Liam Jones having an outstanding year as key defender, Bont/Libba/Treloar having elite seasons in the middle), what personnel/tactical changes do we need to do/make to get much better and quickly (not to mention sustaining this level for the next few seasons like a Geelong/Sydney/Collingwood have been able to do for much of the last 10-12 years)?
    I think the limiting of our midfield/ centre bounce/ stoppage mix and their attitude towards curtailing opposition has contributed more to our drop than Tim taking a more prominent role, or Lobb joining the club.

My view is we have the right mix of midfield players to succeed or at least be more competitive, but not the right localised midfield strategy or mindset to make it happen.

Additionally, we keep talking about how well Jones impacted our fortunes, but he was out for substantial time and that coupled with no continuity in his medium and tall support rendered our defence ineffective for much of the season.

As for Lobb, the amount of shit that's being put on his recruitment boggles my mind. We ripped the best forward from the team that beat us in an elimination final last year, which was great (although we can't attract talent apparently), and instead of playing almost full minutes as the number one he had to sit at number three and we wonder why he wasn't as productive. I'm not going to give him a pass, but Jesus, the way we play is difficult for anyone forward of centre right or wrong, and some of the commentary around it is unbelievable.

This isn't directed at you Sedat, but the binary this is good or this is bad across players and coaching performance is short sighted and doesn't go half way to explaining why we were middling this year. I mean at the end of the day we weren't shit, even though we didn't meet expectations, but we have to be honest that a mix of personnel, coaching, effort and a range of other things need to be addressed.

This is the most important preseason I can remember, possibly only second to 2014/ 2015 and the one after it to get us back on track.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

We could always ask

Agree.

If Callaghan really wanted to leave and made it known, then maybe they would let him go. It would have to be a big offer and GWS would want a lot for him.
    Just for the record . Brett Callaghan , Finns dad married into the Beveridge family and sees him at family functions .
    Maybe Bevo could manipulate something :-) although Brett if I remember rightly Is a Melbourne supporter.
    Bring back the biff