Thanks Thanks:  376
Likes Likes:  1,494
Page 89 of 158 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899139 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 2357
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

I have been thinking, is the reason why we seem to be quite this offseason is that we are saving ourselves for next year when we have a lot of big players coming out of contract that will require big money to stay. For example, Bailey Smith, Aaaron Naughton, Jammara Ugle-Hagan and Tim English. Do we not have the finance at the moment to afford any not worthy players coming in and saving ourselves for the draft. Everyone we have been linked to this off season seems to be picking other teams e.g James Jordan or remaining where they are already e.g Kai Loman. Any thoughts or are we just not a destination club at the moment.

2. Likes EasternWest, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongBulldog View Post
    Any thoughts or are we just not a destination club at the moment.
    I think this whole "destination" thing is getting done to death.

Sure, when Jeremy Cameron left the Giants he was after a 'destination' - he is one of the best 10 players in the game and had his pick. Jordan and Lohmann? They just want a chance to play. That's why Jordan left and he chose Sydney because he is a midfielder and thinks that's his best chance. Lohmann obviously sees a pathway at Brisbane.

Destination club? Probs not - but these middle/lower rung players we get loosely associated with? All they want is a game. Sell them that and watch them sign. They don't believe...

You can point at selection integrity type 'stuff' when it comes to choosing to come to the Bulldogs and there will be some truth there, but ultimately these type of players need to be sold on 'FOOTY' stuff.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Dry Rot, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was keen on Bedford and Acres as role players in last years trade period but I must say there isn't any names I'm really keen on this year.

I would trade up if Mckercher was available and would be happy to pay overs to get him, exactly the type we need going forward. The wizard is tempting, but I'm little cornered at kicking going off he has to be a dead eye for him to be worth a top 10 pick at his height.

Anyone know what happen to Gresham at the Saints? I haven't watched them for awhile but he was their great white hope for a period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongBulldog View Post
    I have been thinking, is the reason why we seem to be quite this offseason is that we are saving ourselves for next year when we have a lot of big players coming out of contract that will require big money to stay. For example, Bailey Smith, Aaaron Naughton, Jammara Ugle-Hagan and Tim English. Do we not have the finance at the moment to afford any not worthy players coming in and saving ourselves for the draft. Everyone we have been linked to this off season seems to be picking other teams e.g James Jordan or remaining where they are already e.g Kai Loman. Any thoughts or are we just not a destination club at the moment.
    It's a reasonable point. There's definitely going to be external interest in those guys.

If I'm honest I'll be surprised to see Bailey Smith in our colours next year.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    It's a reasonable point. There's definitely going to be external interest in those guys.

If I'm honest I'll be surprised to see Bailey Smith in our colours next year.
    Agree. I don't think we'll see Smith with us next year. I think they will take any good offer rather than get jack like we did with Dunks.

Post Thanks / Like

This from Fox Footy regarding the Dogs

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Players that could leave

Out-of-contract ruckman Jordon Sweet has requested a trade to Port Adelaide, but will a deal get done? The Power have little in terms of draft capital after giving up their early picks in last year’s blockbuster period to secure Jason Horne-Francis and Willie Rioli. The Dogs have stated they were “keen to retain” Sweet, with a contract on the table for the “majority of the year”. Hayden Crozier is another player who could depart after falling out of favour, with the Blues showing some interest but that may be as a delisted free agent. Another player struggling for senior game time is Buku Khamis, following the off-season arrival of Rory Lobb. With Sam Darcy continuing to develop and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan having a break out season, forward opportunities appear limited for the utility. Khamis managed just one AFL game this season. There’s reports the Dogs have put an offer in to Khamis, but “multiple clubs” have inquired about his availability.

Players that could arrive

The Bulldogs need another defender – that was painfully obvious when Liam Jones went down with injury late in the season. Someone like Crow Tom Doedee – admittedly not to start the season given his ACL recovery – could slide straight into the starting line-up, but Brisbane and Collingwood are the two clubs linked to him thus far. Former top 10 pick Nick Coffield is also reportedly in the mix. The off-contract Saint hasn’t played an AFL game since 2021 due to injury, but could be another defensive addition for the Dogs. Brisbane’s Kai Lohmann has re-signed after being on the Dogs’ radar. Realistically the biggest potential Bulldogs arrival could be the Suns’ Pick 4, with rival clubs believing they were the frontrunner as of last month, using picks 10 and 17 plus potentially their future first (while getting something else back). Having targeted talls with their recent first-round picks the Dogs have been linked to star Tasmanian midfielder Colby McKercher and electric Eastern Ranges small forward Nick Watson.

Who’s already gone

Josh Bruce (retired), Tim O’Brien (delisted), Cody Raak (delisted), Robbie McComb (delisted), Mitch Hannan (delisted)

Draft picks

10, 17, 37, 64, 67, 70
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Thanks Hotdog60, josie, kruder, KT31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if it been posted elsewhere what are the dates for trading.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Sorry if it been posted elsewhere what are the dates for trading.
    Free agency this Friday.
    Trades start Monday October 9th.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Thanks Twodogs, Hotdog60, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what the timeline will be for knowing FA compensation for McKay? I like how we are linked with McKercher and Watson re pick 4 definitely the type of players we need to add.

Post Thanks / Like

double post
    Last edited by azabob; 02-10-2023 at 08:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good explainer re upcoming periods :

EXPLAINER: Everything you need to know about Free Agency, Trade - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036662

Post Thanks / Like

"I can 100% confirm Aaron Naughton will NOT be moving this year. I can understand teams doing their due diligence, but he is committed to the Dogs and will be there in 2024."

- Andrew McDougall on his client Aaron Naughton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    "I can 100% confirm Aaron Naughton will NOT be moving this year. I can understand teams doing their due diligence, but he is committed to the Dogs and will be there in 2024."

I get even more nervous when player managers say "my client is going nowhere"

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post

What about 2025 and beyond? We're going to be caught with our pants around our ankles with at least one of the 4. Get commitment beyond or we need to look at other arrangements.

20. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I get even more nervous when player managers say "my client is going nowhere"
    Especially when it is emphasized that only the following year is off-limits.

All the more reason to stop wasting time and make all the necessary meaningful changes needed to push for a premiership in 2024. Anything less that a total buy-in and dramatically changed mindset around achieving and sustaining excellence in all facets of the club will simply confirm we are not a serious organization. That is not a comment aimed at Naughton (or Smith or English) by the way.

Get better (and stay better) or accept irrelevance. It starts from the very top of the organization down.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

22. Likes josie liked this post