Thanks Thanks:  376
Likes Likes:  1,494
Page 97 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2357
  1. #1441
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    61,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Gold Coast key forward Chris Burgess has informed the Suns he wants to move to the Adelaide Crows. Won the past two 'Frosty' Miller Medals in the VFL.
    FFC: Established 1883

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  2. #1442
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Qld.
    Posts
    9,669
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Gold Coast key forward Chris Burgess has informed the Suns he wants to move to the Adelaide Crows. Won the past two 'Frosty' Miller Medals in the VFL.
    Gee Frosty was a good player.

  3. Likes Bullies liked this post
  4. #1443
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    19,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    This ruck debate is becoming legendary.

    We sometimes compare the statistics of different ruckman even though they play the role differently, and we then compare these ruckman to other rucks who also play the role differently but are perceived to have a bigger impact on team success without the stats to back it up.

    Additionally we ignore that a hyper-dominant ruck put up basically the same stats in a year he was almost a premiership winner versus his apparent best year:

    https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=P&fopt2=2018

    But I feel we're getting closer to proving we'd be better if Jordon Sweet played more footy as our number one ruck, so I guess it's a debate worth having providing we can link it to whether we should have hung onto Josh Schache given he kicked four goals in the wet one time.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

  5. Likes Twodogs liked this post
  6. #1444
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This ruck debate is becoming legendary.

    We sometimes compare the statistics of different ruckman even though they play the role differently, and we then compare these ruckman to other rucks who also play the role differently but are perceived to have a bigger impact on team success without the stats to back it up.

    Additionally we ignore that a hyper-dominant ruck put up basically the same stats in a year he was almost a premiership winner versus his apparent best year:

    https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=P&fopt2=2018

    But I feel we're getting closer to proving we'd be better if Jordon Sweet played more footy as our number one ruck, so I guess it's a debate worth having providing we can link it to whether we should have hung onto Josh Schache given he kicked four goals in the wet one time.
    I don't think anyone is saying a great ruck can't contribute to team success but aside from Melbourne most premiership teams seem to get by fine without one including the team Grundy left.

    For me the question isn't even if English is any good. It's is he so good that we should commit more than a 1 millions dollars a season to his contract and how has that turned out for other clubs making similar commitments to ruckmen? TBH I'm not sure anyone aside from Gawn and Grundy has been good enough to command such a deal and when I look at them at their best and compare them to English I'm worried he's a bit of a white elephant.

  7. Likes anfo27, bulldogtragic, josie liked this post
  8. #1445
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Qld.
    Posts
    9,669
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying a great ruck can't contribute to team success but aside from Melbourne most premiership teams seem to get by fine without one including the team Grundy left.

    For me the question isn't even if English is any good. It's is he so good that we should commit more than a 1 millions dollars a season to his contract and how has that turned out for other clubs making similar commitments to ruckmen? TBH I'm not sure anyone aside from Gawn and Grundy has been good enough to command such a deal and when I look at them at their best and compare them to English I'm worried he's a bit of a white elephant.
    Stop worrying. He's not.

  9. Likes bornadog, SquirrelGrip liked this post
  10. #1446
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Stop worrying. He's not.
    What's the max you'd pay a year to keep him?

  11. #1447
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    I'm definitely warming to Coffield, the perfect Duryea replacement? I know it was a while ago but his intercept marking in the 2020 elimination final keeps coming back to me. Richards and Coffield along side Jones and JOD just adds further marking power that we are crying out for.

    Would we have the draft capital to get it done? Sweets pick enough? I'm guessing they would want mid/late second rounder?

  12. Likes josie liked this post
  13. #1448
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    9,590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I'm definitely warming to Coffield, the perfect Duryea replacement? I know it was a while ago but his intercept marking in the 2020 elimination final keeps coming back to me. Richards and Coffield along side Jones and JOD just adds further marking power that we are crying out for.

    Would we have the draft capital to get it done? Sweets pick enough? I'm guessing they would want mid/late second rounder?
    Out of contract, hasn't played in 2 years and they are apparently only offering him a 1 year contract. I'm not sure they can ask much. A 3rd rounder should suffice.

  14. Thanks josie thanked for this post
  15. #1449
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    9,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I'm definitely warming to Coffield, the perfect Duryea replacement? I know it was a while ago but his intercept marking in the 2020 elimination final keeps coming back to me. Richards and Coffield along side Jones and JOD just adds further marking power that we are crying out for.

    Would we have the draft capital to get it done? Sweets pick enough? I'm guessing they would want a late second rounder?
    Draft capital? He hasn't played in 2 years! You can have all the tools in the toolbox for AFL football but it amounts to nothing if you can't get on the park.

    4th rounder, late 3rd at the most. If they want a 2nd rounder then good luck to them and Coffield. They can find a new home elsewhere.

  16. Likes josie liked this post
  17. #1450
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Draft capital? He hasn't played in 2 years! You can have all the tools in the toolbox for AFL football but it amounts to nothing if you can't get on the park.

    4th rounder, late 3rd at the most. If they want a 2nd rounder then good luck to them and Coffield. They can find a new home elsewhere.
    Would you take him for a 3rd/4th rounder? In regards to draft capital we will be spending up a lot on pick 4 and Croft in theory hence I have to keep reminding myself that we won't have a hell of a lot left to play with.

  18. #1451
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Coffield trade is probably as good as done. Can't imagine it will be more than a 4th rounder as a sign of good faith for a player who hasn't played for two years.

  19. #1452
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Coffield trade is probably as good as done. Can't imagine it will be more than a 4th rounder as a sign of good faith for a player who hasn't played for two years.
    A wheelie bin of old footy's will get the job done.

  20. Likes josie liked this post
  21. #1453
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    61,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I'm definitely warming to Coffield, the perfect Duryea replacement? I know it was a while ago but his intercept marking in the 2020 elimination final keeps coming back to me. Richards and Coffield along side Jones and JOD just adds further marking power that we are crying out for.

    Would we have the draft capital to get it done? Sweets pick enough? I'm guessing they would want mid/late second rounder?
    Is he a replacement for Duryea? He is 191cm tall. I honestly don't know much about hw he plays
    FFC: Established 1883

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  22. #1454
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Inside the mind of Brian Lake
    Posts
    6,303
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    English is in no hurry for a new contract, it seems.

    https://www.afl.com.au/news/1048373/...s-star-to-wait

    ALL-AUSTRALIAN IN NO HURRY TO EXTEND

    TIM ENGLISH
    is in no rush to kickstart contract talks at the Western Bulldogs, as the supremely talented ruck prepares to enter a season where he will be among the biggest free agents in the game.

    The Bulldogs big man is coming off a career-best season this year, recognised with All-Australian honours for the first time, and will hit his free agency campaign next season when his deal expires at the end of 2024.

    Speaking on AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable earlier this year, Bulldogs list manager Sam Power said the club would look to begin talks over extending English "as early as possible" to avoid speculation about his future.

    However, the ruckman's agent Andrew McDougall from Corporate Sports Australia said English's sole focus remained on ensuring he was fit and healthy heading into the upcoming pre-season.

    "He's a free agent, so it does change things," McDougall told Gettable on Monday.

    "The last conversation I had with him, he's really comfortable. He's looking forward to a big pre-season. Both him and Aaron Naughton were really keen to get the club into finals and will both be staying at the club next year.

    "They really want to drive that club forward next year. Twelve months is a long time in footy, but at the same time they're just focusing on their pre-season, having a bit of a holiday and then heading off."

    But, despite confirming that English – as well as Naughton – would be at the Bulldogs next season, he was noncommittal in putting a timeframe on when the ruckman would start discussions with the club over an extension.

    "He [English] has got a few moving parts," McDougall said.

    "His partner [Rudi Ellis] was with the West Coast Fever last year in Perth. He's got a property here in Melbourne, but also she's got a property in Perth. There are a number of factors, so a lot of things change.

    "But, at the same time, he just wants to focus on his pre-season. It's probably too early to have any type of dialogue at the moment, so we're just going to wait for a while to get things moving and see how he settles in for the start of the year." – Riley Beveridge
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

  23. #1455
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Early Trade Rumours 2023

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Is he a replacement for Duryea? He is 191cm tall. I honestly don't know much about hw he plays
    No one does! From memory an attacking half back who I thought was very vanilla.

    I can’t see it to be honest.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •