Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whats wrong with the dogs. Why aren't they good at anything anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That's the 64 million dollar question.

2021 - Did Bevo extract something extraordinary? I've got a feeling he did. There was a rotating cast of bit players that season.

Bruce probably best year ever.

Baz maybe peaked.

If we've got a 5-12 list and we make 2 GF's for a 50 percent record maybe he's a genius.

OR.......

Having said that it doesn't mean both things can't be right. Maybe the older core have seen enough of Bevo and have peaked.

Which lever do you pull....?
    Being able to input all the right parameters and pull of a win is tough in the footy industrythat judges on win results. Then it all comes down to dumb luck ( ask the saints and that infamous bounce in the GF)

One thing I have observed is we smashed in the midfield for periods of 5-10 mins and the good teams run over us aka StKilda and Melbourne this year.

Q1. Are our tactics flawed during these periods? Teams know we switch off, and find that gate ajar to run through 3-5 goals in a short period?
    Q2. Do we need another big bodied mid to help bring in a defensive side to our team ?
    Melbourne of Petracca and Oliver

Q3. When Bonts has a rest, who is the mid taking his place to marshall and provide leadership ? I really hoped Mitch Wallis could have made it as a mid , as he would have the stalwart Prescence about him.

Q4. our fwd setup is rubbish in the games I have observed. Do we have leading patterns that creates space for our fwds? Why are our crumbers not at the feed of the ball drop ? they never seem to be there.

One other concern I have is we do not have top end talent at that age bracket of 21-25 in the midfield cementing their place in the side, other than Bailey Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Being able to input all the right parameters and pull of a win is tough in the footy industrythat judges on win results. Then it all comes down to dumb luck ( ask the saints and that infamous bounce in the GF)

One thing I have observed is we smashed in the midfield for periods of 5-10 mins and the good teams run over us aka StKilda and Melbourne this year.

Q1. Are our tactics flawed during these periods? Teams know we switch off, and find that gate ajar to run through 3-5 goals in a short period?
    Q2. Do we need another big bodied mid to help bring in a defensive side to our team ?
    Melbourne of Petracca and Oliver

Q3. When Bonts has a rest, who is the mid taking his place to marshall and provide leadership ? I really hoped Mitch Wallis could have made it as a mid , as he would have the stalwart Prescence about him.

Q4. our fwd setup is rubbish in the games I have observed. Do we have leading patterns that creates space for our fwds? Why are our crumbers not at the feed of the ball drop ? they never seem to be there.

One other concern I have is we do not have top end talent at that age bracket of 21-25 in the midfield cementing their place in the side, other than Bailey Smith.
    This. JUH and Darcy falling into our laps has been a blessing, but there has been a price too - we have had to give up early picks to get them and not replenished a midfield. Felt that whilst Clarke may be a good pick up last year I would have gone with a mid especially with Cody and the development of Jones.

3. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matjoh View Post
    I read this article From The Top Deck, and it tickled my fancy. Sorry if its a bit on the longish side.

Thought it would be interesting to hear/read thoughts from the forum. I pretty much agree with most of it = I'm sure most of us do to some extent.

ANyway here it is
    [FONT="]After the disaster of the first two weeks, the Dogs? past three games have given no reason to panic. Two grind-it-out wins against good-ish sides and an ugly but understandable close-ish loss to a team around their level.[/FONT][FONT="]The problem isn?t with the record, or even with the lousy percentage. It?s not the inconsistent forward line or the patchwork key-back collection. The problem is that they?re not very good at anything anymore.

[/FONT]

[FONT="]We (I) spent most of 2022 holding them to (hoping for) the standard of 2021, and they never got there. But there was at least the hope that the midfield could get a hold of teams and dominate possession and territory. That?s not there right now. [/FONT]
    [FONT="]It?s easy to point to Josh Dunkley?s departure, and that certainly hasn?t helped. It?s deeper though.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Marcus Bontempelli is arguably the best player in the league and playing great, Tim English would be the All-Australian ruck right now, after that it gets dicey.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Tom Liberatore has been good but down on 2022 which was down on 2021, Jack Macrae is a shadow of the player he was 12 months ago, Lachie Hunter is missed, Bailey Smith hasn?t taken the next step ? and is now injured.
    [/FONT]

[FONT="]Adam Treloar has been one of the Dogs? best players this season, but he?s become a grunt, instead of the line-breaking inside-out player of his best.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]The powerful, deep midfield is no more. It?s still good, just not good enough to raise the ceiling any higher than mid-table.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Then there?s the issue of age.

[/FONT]

[FONT="]It?s OK to be old. Most old teams are good. For the most part players don?t stick around into their 30s unless they?re good. Mature players are more consistent and reliable; coaches trust them more.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]That?s all well and good, having a chunk of mature players tends to raise a team?s floor. In the case of the Dogs, though, it?s lowering their ceiling.

[/FONT]

[FONT="]We know who Mitch Hannan (29), Tim O?Brien (29) and Anthony Scott (28) are. They?re OK as depth, they?re OK as players 21-23 in a great team that?s humming, they?re not raising the level of this Dogs team. [/FONT]
    [FONT="]Liam Jones (32) has been good, Rory Lobb (30) has been worse than disappointing.

Taylor Duryea (32, and one of my favourites) looks like he?s been tapped on the shoulder by Father Time, Toby McLean (27) is looking like a player who had two knee reconstructions in as many years.

[/FONT]

[FONT="]The season is longer than ever, and it?s still young. Knock off the Dockers in a very winnable game and they?re well placed after a testing first six weeks.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]I don?t think this is a bad team, but for them to be good they need a lot of players to step up ? and they desperately need to figure out whatever the hell is going on with their transition defending, or lack of.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Some other thoughts[/FONT]

• The skipper didn?t attend a centre bounce after the 11-minute mark of the last term against Port. If he was knackered, they need to find a way to conserve his energy; if it was strategy, they need a better one.
    • I?m all in on Arthur Jones, but he probably needs to find a goal soon or head back to the twos for some touch. That?s fine, he?s young and his energy is great.
    • Has Caleb Daniel hit a target on his left so far this season?
    • Didn?t concede a score from opponent D50 chains in round five, but the weather saved them a couple of times when the Power moved it pretty easily the length of the field and then couldn?t cap it off. Something is still very wrong there.
    • So good to have Weightman back, not just the marking and the energy but it?s bloody nice to trust a player in front of goal. Having him, Naughton and Jamarra working together should make life much easier for struggling Lobb ? should.
    • Have been pleasantly surprised by how well Johannisen has slotted into his old role in defence. He?s defended well and been solid with his disposals and decisions while still providing dash. Nice one, Bevo.
    Kicked a beautiful goal against Freo on his left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    This. JUH and Darcy falling into our laps has been a blessing, but there has been a price too - we have had to give up early picks to get them and not replenished a midfield. Felt that whilst Clarke may be a good pick up last year I would have gone with a mid especially with Cody and the development of Jones.
    This years draft should be all about hard midfield players with the exception of Croft . We need to regenerate our mids as ours retire.
    We have the talls for the next ten years. Let’s find a Petracca , Oliver or the next Daicos. Mids aren’t as rare as good talls . I think we can set ourself up for years if we get hold of a couple of gems in the middle .
    Bring back the biff

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    This years draft should be all about hard midfield players with the exception of Croft . We need to regenerate our mids as ours retire.
    We have the talls for the next ten years. Let’s find a Petracca , Oliver or the next Daicos. Mids aren’t as rare as good talls . I think we can set ourself up for years if we get hold of a couple of gems in the middle .
    Petracca - pick 2 (should've been 1, but St.Kilda wanted a KPF to replace Riewoldt)
    Oliver - pick 4
    Daicos - pick 4 (should've been 1 as was clearly the best performed player in his draft year)

So unless we bottom out this year or turn our 2 x 1st round picks into a pick within the first 4 it's going to be difficult to find absolute elite mids with picks in the teen's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Petracca - pick 2 (should've been 1, but St.Kilda wanted a KPF to replace Riewoldt)
    Oliver - pick 4
    Daicos - pick 4 (should've been 1 as was clearly the best performed player in his draft year)

So unless we bottom out this year or turn our 2 x 1st round picks into a pick within the first 4 it's going to be difficult to find absolute elite mids with picks in the teen's.
    I think it can be done in the teens you just need the right development at the club and they are taught the exact role. Taking them now gives us a year or two to teach them . Sadly I don’t see much in our VFL team that are capable at the moment.
    Bring back the biff

9. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Oliver - pick 4

All the below have been AA which you can define as elite with the exception of Luke Shuey however he does have two B&Fs and a Normie.

Lachie Neale pick #58
    Touk Miller #29
    Pat Cripps #13
    Nat Fyfe #20
    Jack Steele #24
    Luke Parker #40
    Cam Guthrie #23
    Tim Kelly #24
    Dayne Beams #29
    Luke Shuey #18
    Rory Sloane #44
    Rory Laird #Rookie

11. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your occasional reminder we spent a pre-season prioritising fixing this ...

BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Your occasional reminder we spent a pre-season prioritising fixing this ...

That's horrible viewing. Last by a long way.

Slow ball movement? Poor cohesion? Poor forward setup? Poor skills? Slow decision makers? Why!!??

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what that looks like for the five rounds since round two.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think excluding the Richmond game, it would look, much, much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I asked Oliver and he came up with this: Round 3 to 7

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm old fashioned. The main stat to interest me is the W.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what conclusions can be drawn that this facet of the game equals success.

Its a mixed bag of where the teams sit.

Port, Geelong, Collingwood, Brisbane all in the negatives - yet in flag contention

St.Kilda and Melbourne in the the positives and in flag contention.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not sure what conclusions can be drawn that this facet of the game equals success.

Its a mixed bag of where the teams sit.

Port, Geelong, Collingwood, Brisbane all in the negatives - yet in flag contention

St.Kilda and Melbourne in the the positives and in flag contention.
    Just from looking at it I think it’s a stat that probably needs to be looked at together with other stats.

Like, off the top of my head what are scores from inside 50 stoppages looking like? If those are high then maybe you can justify overcommitting to a contest and conceding more from teams getting out the back. I’m sure there could be other strategic reasons for it than a lack of effort.

Scores from centre clearances seem to be more backbreaking to us anyway.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -