Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  101
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 7 V Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Stop making sense.

I was trying to think how we would spread the Libba load - you've pretty much nailed it I reckon.

Was thinking Caleb or Weightman (after training reports) maybe might pinch hit?
    Caleb will play some midfield time according to Presso from Bevo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    We are a much better side with Bruce not in. ...
    If you add "...the forward line" I agree with you. A fitter (since 2021) Bruce is wasted in the backline and the current 3 tall Naughton, Lobb & Ugle-Hagan doesn't work, it averages 3 goals a game with almost a third of the season gone. Bruce is the closest we have to a monster forward and that role is not contemplated in the current 3 tall set up which competes rather than complements among its component parts. The forward set up hasn't worked since 2021 when it comprised Bruce, the monster; Naughton the high flying excitement machine and Wallis, the calmer, creative sharp shooter. Time for an urgent re think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    If you add "...the forward line" I agree with you. A fitter (since 2021) Bruce is wasted in the backline and the current 3 tall Naughton, Lobb & Ugle-Hagan doesn't work, it averages 3 goals a game with almost a third of the season gone. Bruce is the closest we have to a monster forward and that role is not contemplated in the current 3 tall set up which competes rather than complements among its component parts. The forward set up hasn't worked since 2021 when it comprised Bruce, the monster; Naughton the high flying excitement machine and Wallis, the calmer, creative sharp shooter. Time for an urgent re think.
    Wallis played 6 games in 2021 for 4 goals.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Wallis played 6 games in 2021 for 4 goals.
    Quite right. 2020. In 2021 we ran a 2 tall forward line, relying upon mids and the then emerging Weightman for support. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    If we lose this HD I will not post again all season.

How many of you will now cheer on the Hawks I don't know, it maybe a few.
    Chef for 1.
    Haha im with you. 150 point win coming up and I'll be there to enjoy it.
    The curse is dead.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce was clearly move to defence to allow Lobb to play forward which clearly hasn’t worked so far both forward and as a back up ruck man to English. Gardner is clearly a better defender.

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Bruce was clearly move to defence to allow Lobb to play forward which clearly hasn’t worked so far both forward and as a back up ruck man to English. Gardner is clearly a better defender.
    The team should take priority over the player. Accommodating Lobb shouldn't be a priority. Moving Bruce to defence looks to be accepting that the forward line, which took us into a Grand Final in 2021, needed a change. It was the mids and defence that allowed Melbourne to set up its win in the back end of the 3rd quarter, not the forwards.

So instruct
    (a) Bruce, when he's fit again, to play from the forward goal square;
    (b) Dale, Richards, Daniel, anyone else in possession of the ball more that 30 metres forward of the oppos' goals to kick the ball forward, not sideways;
    (c) all those Mc(blokes with Scottish surnames names) to take up positions front and centre when the ball comes in high and zip the ball around and clear to deep forwards;
    (d) Baker, Williams, whoever else plays on the wing to
    (i) stay put/drop back when Dale/Richards/Daniel press up beyond the centre line; and
    (ii) play closer in to accommodate the more direct style.
    Last edited by D Mitchell; 28-04-2023 at 06:26 PM.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We needed Lobb for the second ruck role, I mean for gods sake we had every supporter whinging and carrying on because we played some unusual players in the role - Dunks, Hannan even Bont.

The three talls is starting to click and last week they had 16 marks. Bruce is no second ruck.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes josie, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We needed Lobb for the second ruck role, I mean for gods sake we had every supporter whinging and carrying on because we played some unusual players in the role - Dunks, Hannan even Bont.

The three talls is starting to click and last week they had 16 marks. Bruce is no second ruck.
    and rightly so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Bolded bit. "starting to click" isn't tenable whilst the average remains 3 per week and 1/3 rd of the season's gone. 2 years ago we were in a Grand Final, lost by the failures of mids and defenders, yet the selectors chose to bolster forwards ! Sweet languishing in the VFL says they think he's not up to it so no complaints about recruiting a 2nd ruck but Lobb only wants to be a forward ! Sam Power is the 2nd best person on staff and 3rd best brain in football. Recruiting isn't the issue, it's selection and game plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    and rightly so.
    I don't get why so many were seemingly okay enough with seeing the likes of Bont taking ruck contests when it's not that hard to add a more genuine ruck option on the playing list. I assume no one would actually want that by design but it happened more than it should have.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't get why so many were seemingly okay enough with seeing the likes of Bont taking ruck contests when it's not that hard to add a more genuine ruck option on the playing list. I assume no one would actually want that by design but it happened more than it should have.
    Bont's 2016 3rd man up in ruck contests around the ground arguably won us a flag. The AFL changed the rules. The penultimate ruck rule change was post 1979 Dempsey-Moore Preliminary final wrestling match. 'Ted didn't get the ultimate acknowledgment, a "The ". Wrong thread but, on the eve of 200 games, I'm declaring it. The Bont is our, probably the, best ever.

18. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone advocating for Bruce to play forward remember what he was like in 2020 when he first got to the club? Or, how he was post his reconstruction when playing forward?

We need to get games into Marra, and we need a forward capable of playing as a second ruck that Bevo will actually play - thus we've got Lobb.

Having just come off the week where our tall forwards of Lobb, Marra and Naughton all contributed but left chances on the table, I'm really not sure where the angst is coming from.

I haven't been impressed with Lobb, but I also recognise he came into the season needing surgery which he's now had, and is still trying to fit into a system in a team that's not been moving the ball well at all with exception to last week.

He's been brought across to play and has contributed, but not to the level we may have hoped. Don't think it's time to go back to Bruce because of it though.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes Mofra, bornadog, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Does anyone advocating for Bruce to play forward remember what he was like in 2020 when he first got to the club? Or, how he was post his reconstruction when playing forward?

We need to get games into Marra, and we need a forward capable of playing as a second ruck that Bevo will actually play - thus we've got Lobb.

Having just come off the week where our tall forwards of Lobb, Marra and Naughton all contributed but left chances on the table, I'm really not sure where the angst is coming from.

I haven't been impressed with Lobb, but I also recognise he came into the season needing surgery which he's now had, and is still trying to fit into a system in a team that's not been moving the ball well at all with exception to last week.

He's been brought across to play and has contributed, but not to the level we may have hoped. Don't think it's time to go back to Bruce because of it though.
    If Bruce was uncontracted for 2023, would he have gotten an extension last year? Hard to say but it's no definite.
    Bruce isn't the answer in the F50 and as underwhelming as Lobb's been (arguably due to our own mismanagement of his ankle) Lobb already separates better from Naughton than Bruce did for most of his forward time with us.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

22. Likes D Mitchell, jeemak, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If Bruce was uncontracted for 2023, would he have gotten an extension last year? Hard to say but it's no definite.
    Bruce isn't the answer in the F50 and as underwhelming as Lobb's been (arguably due to our own mismanagement of his ankle) Lobb already separates better from Naughton than Bruce did for most of his forward time with us.
    Plus when Lobb kicks goals they actually count.
    "It's over. It's all over."

24. Likes jeemak, bornadog, Happy Days, Bulldog4life liked this post