Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 19 Goals at the Dome - Again

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    Never said drop Welsh and Minson. I said i wouldnt of drafted Welsh and Minson isnt a forward. Im not that worried about losing games, as Kevin Sheedy said "doesnt matter how many games u lose, its how many u lose on the way to a premiership". or something along those lines.

The Eagles are the perfect model once again. They are down, but there side is filled with quality kids and they will lose games in the next 2 yrs but dominate in 3
    I'll ask for the 3trd time, how do you return us to the traditional set-up you have talked about?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'll ask for the 3trd time, how do you return us to the traditional set-up you have talked about?
    YOu dont over night. You have to draft well and blood kids

Post Thanks / Like

Your words are sounding allot like that of a team like Carlton Jerry. We can't play youngsters and loose matches because we would have no members and there would be deportation to WS talk in the media.

OK, i accept that playing younin's can take you to a premiership eventually (ala Hawthorn) but we can't afford to do it

But imagine the Membership numbers if we were something like L W L L L which we could be without Welsh and our experienced players.

Post Thanks / Like

YOu dont over night. You have to draft well and blood kids
    We are drafting well (or at least it seems so) and playing kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry, you should shut up now, they're all making you look like a dill.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad GVGjr and Jerry arent drinking in a bar and having this discussion lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Glad GVGjr and Jerry arent drinking in a bar and having this discussion lol
    I'm actually am enjoying this discussion with Jerry. I think Jerry is just talking philosophically rather than dealing with the reality of the playing list that we have and dealing with the 2008 season.
    I get most of what he is saying and understand where he is coming from.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but didn't we go through a drafting process (Cooney, Griffen, Ray, Williams and Everitt) between 2004-2006? These kids are now coming on or showing signs and we are winning matches even when we are playing bad, draft well, blood young kids (see above), I believe we have also drafted well from other clubs, Jerry says Welsh is a good player and will be this year but he wouldn't have drafted him doesn't make sense. Hudson is also a fantastic acquisition. Minson is a second-rate ruckman yes but he is young, was it Robert Walls who said you need to add an extra year to the development of a player for every inch over 6 foot that he is? Where is the line between finishing low on the ladder, drafting well and trying to win premierships? If Jerry had some kind of rationale to these statements that would be an interesting and valid discussion point for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm actually am enjoying this discussion with Jerry. I think Jerry is just talking philosophically rather than dealing with the reality of the playing list that we have and dealing with the 2008 season.
    I get most of what he is saying and understand where he is coming from.
    He's not talking philosophically, he's using cliched, baseless and hollow cop-outs and suggesting absolutely nothing.

He says he wouldn't draft Welsh and that Minson is a second rate ruck but he still says keep them in the side.

He says to 'blood more kids' but he names kids that are nowhere near ready when Callan Ward is just about ready to go.

He's making a fool of himself

Post Thanks / Like

In the next 2yrs we will lose West,Johnson,Akermanis plus Hudson and Welsh arnt young. In 2yrs Gilbee,Hargraves,Gia,Harris,Hahn,Boyd and Morris will be around the 28-29yr bracket. I think we need a mini cleanout and a rethink about where we are headed. Even the most loyal of supporters must be able to see we are just making up the numbers this year in the 8. I think to many Bulldogs members/staff are happy just to make the 8, after 54yrs of mediocrity. We dont need to bottom out ala Carlton 07, we just need to fast track a few kids. Im not sure this is possible with Eade at the helm when he is fighting for his coaching future, but a slight backward step would go a long way to making us a genuine flag contender in 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

In the next 2yrs we will lose West,Johnson,Akermanis plus Hudson and Welsh arnt young. In 2yrs Gilbee,Hargraves,Gia,Harris,Hahn,Boyd and Morris will be around the 28-29yr bracket. I think we need a mini cleanout and a rethink about where we are headed. Even the most loyal of supporters must be able to see we are just making up the numbers this year in the 8. I think to many Bulldogs members/staff are happy just to make the 8, after 54yrs of mediocrity. We dont need to bottom out ala Carlton 07, we just need to fast track a few kids. Im not sure this is possible with Eade at the helm when he is fighting for his coaching future, but a slight backward step would go a long way to making us a genuine flag contender in 2010.
    Which players would go in your mini cleanout and when?

Post Thanks / Like

In the next 2yrs we will lose West,Johnson,Akermanis plus Hudson and Welsh arnt young. In 2yrs Gilbee,Hargraves,Gia,Harris,Hahn,Boyd and Morris will be around the 28-29yr bracket. I think we need a mini cleanout and a rethink about where we are headed.
    Ok, so who do we drop out of that list? Name names.

Even the most loyal of supporters must be able to see we are just making up the numbers this year in the 8.
    BS. While we are winning games and undefeated we deserve our spot in the 8. End of story.
    I think to many Bulldogs members/staff are happy just to make the 8, after 54yrs of mediocrity. We dont need to bottom out ala Carlton 07, we just need to fast track a few kids.
    You failed to mention Ward when you mentioned kids before, despite it being obvious that he is ready to step up. Do you think he should miss out in favour of those that aren't ready when we are sitting 3rd on the ladder? If so, why? If not, what are you trying to say by not including Ward?

Im not sure this is possible with Eade at the helm when he is fighting for his coaching future, but a slight backward step would go a long way to making us a genuine flag contender in 2010.
    He's been freed up of his football manager role and can focus entirely on coaching. As a result we sit 3rd.

A slight step backwards means bottom 3/2/wooden spoon. Why do you wish that on a club you claim to support?

And how do you expect us to cope when another 6000 members drop off?

Post Thanks / Like

So in other words, we lose 3 players (which i doubt btw), 2 other players become old and about 20 odd players get to the prime of the career, whilst most of our KPP's will be under 25? Actually doesn't sound like a shocking position to be in.

Hopefully we don't rush things and give our young players a game or 2 this year without over doing things.

Whilst we are sitting pretty near the top we don't need to make any big changes esp. when 3 players who everyone considered to be in our best 22 are scheduled to come back in the next few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

jerry, I enjoy your controversial posts, but if you are going to make statements like this you need to elaborate on your ideas in order for them to have any meaning or merit, otherwise your just shooting off at the mouth and will be ignored.

Post Thanks / Like

Even the most loyal of supporters must be able to see we are just making up the numbers this year in the 8.
    I compeltley disagree with that. I would by lying if I said that I thought, that we would be premiers this year, but we have a much stronger list than we did last year and as long as we do not lose to many key players we could definatley make an impact in the finals this year.