Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opposition Coaches

It's interesting we don't have a thread on this, especially when we consider the impact that Macrae and Ross seem to have had on their respective sides.

I loved this little bit of micced up magic:

https://twitter.com/bitey26/status/1...5Es1_&ref_url=
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Thanks lemmon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opposition Coaches

I think Scott has had an impact at Essendon. Should have won yesterday. The first goal and Collingwood would have needed 6 to win. I thought Essendon's defence was very good without any big name stars playing there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    It's interesting we don't have a thread on this, especially when we consider the impact that Macrae and Ross seem to have had on their respective sides.

I loved this little bit of micced up magic:

https://twitter.com/bitey26/status/1...5Es1_&ref_url=
    I was going to ask the question about why so many people are hesitant to change coaches (all clubs) when if you get it right the new voice, fresh ideas and clean slate can work miracles if you have a solid playing list.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

New coach bounce is an interesting one.

As BAD points out Brad Scott looks to have given Essendon structure and clear direction, Mofra highlights RossTheBoss has done wonders at Moorabbin.

Clarko for two rounds looked ok and now back to reality.

Last year Justin Longmuir and Michael Voss both appeared to be heading in the right direction and now supporters and media alike are unsure.

Craig McRae seems to have Collingwood humming. I wonder if a bit too early in the season.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I want to add a variable to this discussion because yes some of the new coaches appear to be doing well but lets add the Crows and Pies into the discussion for another reason given they appear to be showing signs that they have a jump on other sides given their fitness levels.
    I think most would acknowledge that Darren Burgess did wonders for Melbourne and now we have seen a sharp lift in a short time at the Crows. Collingwood appear to be confident that there "Aint no lead high enough" to keep them from a win and the Saints appear to be vastly fitter than the same time a year back.

As much as new coaches are making a difference is the real missing piece from some clubs actually their fitness team performance?

7. Likes Sedat, josie, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I want to add a variable to this discussion because yes some of the new coaches appear to be doing well but lets add the Crows and Pies into the discussion for another reason given they appear to be showing signs that they have a jump on other sides given their fitness levels.
    I think most would acknowledge that Darren Burgess did wonders for Melbourne and now we have seen a sharp lift in a short time at the Crows. Collingwood appear to be confident that there "Aint no lead high enough" to keep them from a win and the Saints appear to be vastly fitter than the same time a year back.

As much as new coaches are making a difference is the real missing piece from some clubs actually their fitness team performance?
    Andy Russell is considered one of the best and was trained by my ex boss who's somewhat of an athletics legend (just broke the over 60s world record 4 x 800 with Mona) and Carlton still suck!

9. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Burgess now at the Crows?

Missen is back at St.Kilda who is highly rated.

Jarrod Wade is running the show at Collingwood after a few years with the NRL and prior to that was at Geelong and Essendon.

As Lester Freeman said in the Wire "All the pieces matter"
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Isn't Burgess now at the Crows?
    GVGjr did say that

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We could do with a kicking coach .

14. Likes josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As you posted this, Jack Steele revealed he's playing at a few kgs lighter than thw past few years as Ross wants the team to be able to run games out better.

Running in football is the new trend?

In fairness to Collingwood, Craig Macrae is doing well but I'd guess if you put Nick Daicos into any side they'd preform better.

Post Thanks / Like

Has Hardwick stepped down?

Post Thanks / Like

Damien Hardwick to quit Richmond in shock coaching call

ByCaroline Wilson and Jake Niall

May 22, 2023 ? 7.35pm

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick, the man who guided the Tigers out of the wilderness to win three premierships in four years, is set to quit, The Age has confirmed.

The Tigers will hold a press conference on Tuesday to announce the resignation, which will be effective immediately.

Damien Hardwick and his players with the 2019 premiership cup.CREDIT:SCOTT BARBOUR
    Hardwick, 50, informed Tigers CEO Brendon Gale of his decision on Monday and has started calling players to tell them, according to a club source.

Highly regarded assistant coach Andrew McQualter is expected to take the coaching reins for Sunday?s match against Port Adelaide at the MCG.

SEN Radio first reported the news Monday night and although the reasons for Hardwick?s decision were not clear, burnout was cited as a possible factor.

Hardwick is Richmond?s longest-serving coach, having overseen 307 games. He has 36 games remaining on his contract. He will be remembered as the coach who turned the Tigers from a club that was a perennial underachiever, and often ridiculed for its failures, into a modern colossus of the competition.

He restored Richmond at all levels, awakening the often dormant Tiger army.
    The club famously showed faith in Hardwick after a wide-ranging review of the football department in 2016, and the former Essendon and Port Adelaide hard man went on to lead the Tigers to three flags in four seasons, breaking a 37-year drought in 2017.

Hardwick is a close friend of Alastair Clarkson, who last week announced he would take an indefinite break from his job as coach of North Melbourne to focus on his physical and mental health.
    Collingwood coach Craig McRae, who worked under Hardwick at Richmond, expressed disbelief at the news on Monday night.

?His ability just to back himself in and make strong decisions and play young players at the back end of 2016 showed a lot of courage and he copped a lot of flak for that,? McRae told Fox Footy?s AFL 360.
    ?At that time, the ability of the board and other parts of the business to back him in, 2017 was a remarkable year.

?He changed the game in a lot of ways. Is it real that he?s moving on? I?m grateful to have worked with him. He is an incredible coach.?

Hardwick can be a combative character - only weeks ago he challenged critics at a press conference to ?say it to my face? - but he is loved by his players and was fiercely protective of them. Along with star players Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin, he defined Richmond?s longed-for era of success.
    He emphasised vulnerability and encouraged players to be open about their challenges and foibles.
    He was one of a number of coaches on whom the game exacted a toll, enduring a marriage breakup that became public during the 2020-21 off-season.

Hardwick?s shock decision to walk away follows a one-point loss to Essendon in Saturday night?s Dreamtime at the ?G clash. The Tigers are 14th on the ladder, with three wins and a draw from the first 10 rounds of the season.

There will be speculation about Hardwick?s future, and whether he could take over from Stuart Dew at Gold Coast or from Ken Hinkley at Port, should they decide to part company.

Hardwick?s influence on the game is magnified by the hiring of his former assistants as senior coaches at other clubs; in particular McRae (a former Richmond VFL coach) at Collingwood, Adam Kingsley at GWS and Ben Rutten at Essendon. Rutten has since rejoined the Tigers as an assistant.

The ?go-ahead?, low possession game style that Richmond succeeded with under Hardwick between 2017 and 2020 became a template for other clubs, especially Collingwood.

The coaching marketplace for the Tigers will be wide open. Hinkley was runner-up for the job when Hardwick was hired back in 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

Given the long term deals to Taranto & Hopper and lack of trade capital, the next coach of Richmond has a really tough task
    They're close to full rebuild stage - Cotchin, Riewoldt, Tarrant, Martin, Grimes, Pickett, Prestia, Lynch & Broad all over 30.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Given the long term deals to Taranto & Hopper and lack of trade capital, the next coach of Richmond has a really tough task
    They're close to full rebuild stage - Cotchin, Riewoldt, Tarrant, Martin, Grimes, Pickett, Prestia, Lynch & Broad all over 30.
    Coaches taking on teams in transition are very unlikely to see it through. You have to feel for anyone taking on Richmond.
    You also have to feel a bit for a number of players that signed up to the vision in the last 12 months to now know that has most likely been flushed down the toilet.

Post Thanks / Like

Coaches taking on teams in transition are very unlikely to see it through. You have to feel for anyone taking on Richmond.
    You also have to feel a bit for a number of players that signed up to the vision in the last 12 months to now know that has most likely been flushed down the toilet.
    Taranto and Hopper will be wiping away their tears with $100 notes.