Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opposition Coaches

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Coaches taking on teams in transition are very unlikely to see it through. You have to feel for anyone taking on Richmond.
    You also have to feel a bit for a number of players that signed up to the vision in the last 12 months to now know that has most likely been flushed down the toilet.
    Best time to take over .. you can only go up . Last thing you want is to take on a side that’s going well because you are taking a chance and could go down . Tigers would be a very good side to take over as you can build your own team start from scratch .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Best time to take over .. you can only go up . Last thing you want is to take on a side that’s going well because you are taking a chance and could go down . Tigers would be a very good side to take over as you can build your own team start from scratch .
    I'm not sure many experienced coaches would see it that way. Commitments to long term contracts, an ageing list and no draft currency at the moment isn't a great starting point. Granted they should do well with free agency but the general thoughts are that given the current state of the list this is a 3 year rebuild.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure many experienced coaches would see it that way. Commitments to long term contracts, an ageing list and no draft currency at the moment isn't a great starting point. Granted they should do well with free agency but the general thoughts are that given the current state of the list this is a 3 year rebuild.
    And the new coach is guaranteed 3 years wage at least.
    I think it’s very attractive.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Richmond seem to be on the Hawthorn/Geelong path in believing you can stay up with free agency being better than the draft.

Issue becomes salary cap pressure which destroyed Clarko's efforts at Hawthorn and it seems ut has crueled the Richmond attempt.

Geelong did very well due to the willingness of players to select lifestyle over salary.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Richmond seem to be on the Hawthorn/Geelong path in believing you can stay up with free agency being better than the draft.

Issue becomes salary cap pressure which destroyed Clarko's efforts at Hawthorn and it seems ut has crueled the Richmond attempt.

Geelong did very well due to the willingness of players to select lifestyle over salary.
    heh heh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I'm sure Chris Scott lies awake at night wondering when the Cats are going to go down.
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm sure Chris Scott lies awake at night wondering when the Cats are going to go down.
    At least they're struggling a bit this year. Still have finals guaranteed thanks to Sedatpark though.

9. Likes Sedat, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not in love with Clarkson or Hardwick finishing up mid-season.

They ask and expect a lot from their players. Seeing it through to the end of the season is not an unreasonable expectation.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

11. Likes Sedat, Mofra, DOG GOD, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Taranto and Hopper will be wiping away their tears with $100 notes.
    Karl Amon to Hawks as well, just prior to the trade period that saw them trade out Mitchell & O'Meara.

At least Sam Mitchell is building the Hawks his way. With long term delas and little trade capital, the next Richmond coach won't have as much opportunity to build their list. Taranto & Hopper will be there for 6 more years so they have to create a contested style game in an era where fast transition is king.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes Sedat, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Karl Amon to Hawks as well, just prior to the trade period that saw them trade out Mitchell & O'Meara.

At least Sam Mitchell is building the Hawks his way. With long term delas and little trade capital, the next Richmond coach won't have as much opportunity to build their list. Taranto & Hopper will be there for 6 more years so they have to create a contested style game in an era where fast transition is king.
    I think Amon would have known that the Hawks weren't going to be genuine contenders even with Mitchell and O'Meara but he probably wouldn't have expected them to be so far down the ladder and Sam Mitchell won't have a lot of excuses in 2 years because he will have been part of the decisions for all arrivals.

The next Richmond coach will have to focus on free agency acquisitions more so than building via the draft.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm not in love with Clarkson or Hardwick finishing up mid-season.

They ask and expect a lot from their players. Seeing it through to the end of the season is not an unreasonable expectation.
    I wonder what he sat in the room and told Tarranto and Hopper whilst recruiting

I know they likely would have signed with the Tigers anyway due to the appealing contracts offered

But its a unusual circumstances - sounds like you are predicting that Clarko is done

Post Thanks / Like

I think Amon would have known that the Hawks weren't going to be genuine contenders even with Mitchell and O'Meara but he probably wouldn't have expected them to be so far down the ladder and Sam Mitchell won't have a lot of excuses in 2 years because he will have been part of the decisions for all arrivals.

The next Richmond coach will have to focus on free agency acquisitions more so than building via the draft.
    Pretty sure Lynch's deal is back-ended as they only just managed to fit him in with their senior players (except Dusty) taking pay cuts.
    FA may not be as easy as they expect. Plus, FAs either go for well overs (e.g. Aiden Corr) or they go to contenders (e.g. Lynch to Richmond).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers