Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things I learned vs the Hawks

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    My comment is that the 76% DE doesn't tell us much.

We gave up too many turnovers against the side that was bottom of the ladder to the extent that they are no longer bottom of the ladder.
    Turnovers were 61 to us and 64 to them. I think the stats tell the story of the game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Turnovers were 61 to us and 64 to them. I think the stats tell the story of the game.
    Considering the aspirations of the respective teams I don't take any solace from those stats.
    Given our age experience profile we should expect to be significantly ahead on the turnovers
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We ran at 76% DE and Hawks 70.4%
    Yes, I noticed that and it makes me want to know more about the criteria they use to decide on what's efficiency and what's not.i seemed to recall a lot more long kicks from Hawthorn hitting targets in space - not so many from us. Is a 15mt kick backwards to a team mate in the goal square given the same weight as a 50mt pass to a team mate inside forward 50? I don't know.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Yes, I noticed that and it makes me want to know more about the criteria they use to decide on what's efficiency and what's not.i seemed to recall a lot more long kicks from Hawthorn hitting targets in space - not so many from us. Is a 15mt kick backwards to a team mate in the goal square given the same weight as a 50mt pass to a team mate inside forward 50? I don't know.
    Yes. An effective kick either is marked by a team mate or is contested.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Anthony Scott needs to do some work on his right leg - both in the gym and at training. Two goals went begging on Saturday.
    2. Keep the small forwards - Jones, Weightman, Scott/McNeil - in place. Their effectiveness is growing week by week in that the pressure they apply is causing doubt and confusion among opposition defenders.
    3. JJ continues to be a major contributor in defence. His value grows weekly.

6. Thanks josie, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, macca, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    1. Anthony Scott needs to do some work on his right leg - both in the gym and at training. Two goals went begging on Saturday.
    2. Keep the small forwards - Jones, Weightman, Scott/McNeil - in place. Their effectiveness is growing week by week in that the pressure they apply is causing doubt and confusion among opposition defenders.
    Thanks Critter. I will now keep a close eye on which foot Scott uses and if he can improve his right leg. This is one of the reasons I enjoy woof, analysis and insight from those who likely have played the game and/or are more observant than me.

Post Thanks / Like

1/ For both Scott & McNeil to prosper in the team they need to sharpen up their kicking skills. Both butchered a number of chances on Saturday night.
    2/ Our midfield depth is looking paper thin and we need our best to perform at or near their best every week.
    3/ It's not easy to win, especially when you don't play at your best so we bank the 4 points and move on.

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. The balance with the talls and smalls in the forward line is looking more conventional and just about right.
    2. We still look susceptible physically when teams come to play a hard nosed, aggressive game.
    3. There are a lot of Doggies fans that must pick and choose when to show up. No judgment but I never really saw our fan base like that before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Yes. An effective kick either is marked by a team mate or is contested.
    A long kick to space is also considered an effective kick
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Post Libba is going to be sad. We really missed him and always will. GUN player
    2. Oscar B has been a good pick up.
    3. Jones has been a terrific pick up.

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    3/ It's not easy to win, especially when you don't play at your best so we bank the 4 points and move on.
    Of the bottom 4 clubs this year, I'd be buying shares in the Hawks - aside from their awful 2nd half on Easter Monday, they are clearly playing to a system, bringing consistent defensive heat, and are staying in games for much longer as a result. That's all you can ask for when you are at the start of your rebuild timeline. I'll gladly take the scrappy win and move on.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Of the bottom 4 clubs this year, I'd be buying shares in the Hawks - aside from their awful 2nd half on Easter Monday, they are clearly playing to a system, bringing in consistent defensive effort, and are staying in games for much longer as a result. That's all you can ask for when you are at the start of your rebuild timeline. I'll gladly take the scrappy win and move on.
    They were impressive given their rebuild status. We took care of business in the 2nd half like we should have, but the hawks made us earn the win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Good points Critter.
    1) Just need a bit more from Scott
    2) The smaller forward set-up is giving us a point of difference from last season.
    3) It's very fortunate that we didn't lose JJ. He's adapted back to his defenders role with aplomb.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Of the bottom 4 clubs this year, I'd be buying shares in the Hawks - aside from their awful 2nd half on Easter Monday, they are clearly playing to a system, bringing consistent defensive heat, and are staying in games for much longer as a result. That's all you can ask for when you are at the start of your rebuild timeline. I'll gladly take the scrappy win and move on.
    100% agree I don't mind the Hawks. Day has gone to a new level under Mitchell and they have a very strong (still young) midfield. Mitch Lewis is a gun and makes them 20% better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    3. There are a lot of Doggies fans that must pick and choose when to show up. No judgment but I never really saw our fan base like that before.
    One of only two day (if you would even call 4.35 day) games in Melbourne in the finalised section of the fixture. So many night games which rule out a lot of families and travelling fans.

I really liked the timeslot and was proud of the crowd - whether it was for Bont, because we are playing better, or just because it was a convenient time, it was great to have 41,000 at a home game. And there weren't a heap of Hawks fans.