Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  87
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 10 v Adelaide

If no injuries, no change to a winning team, O'Donnell included.
    It would be ridiculous having selected him in such a manner, a very deliberate, considered and bold selection, win then say our bad...

2. Likes westbulldog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beveridge almost never takes out a first gamer after one game. I think JOD plays again.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Likes D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    If no injuries, no change to a winning team, O'Donnell included.
    It would be ridiculous having selected him in such a manner, a very deliberate, considered and bold selection, win then say our bad...
    Cannot agree with this. There are better four letter words than bold that could be applied.

It was not a sensible selection decision and until the last 3 or 4 minutes it had put our season at risk.

The win was despite selection decisions. This club was in a grand final two years ago. What?s been going on since then?

Carlton forwards threw away the game in the first half with some of the worst shots at goal that I have ever seen. We won because our backmen played exceptionally well both individually and as a cohesive group under enormous pressure. The 5 consecutive goals that Carlton put together could have also happened earlier but they prevented them.

That functionality was missing on the forward line (except for the last 5 minutes) and that should be addressed. I saw improvement but we need better forward craft to enhance good individual efforts.

Since when does a feel-good selection outweigh a tactically sound decision?

He might be a superstar down the track, I hope so, but last night was an insult to a few players who are working hard and would probably have done better.

6. Likes 1eyedog, GVGjr, Critter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course we should always to improve our side as much as possible but I think as fans we can massively overrate the effect of the 22nd guy picked. They aren't the ones really winning or losing the game. Again, want to stress, of course we do what we can to improve the side as much as possible.

With JOD, I think it was largely tactically related to the opponent. I feel dropping him after one game would be a bit different. Crows are pretty dangerous with the smalls and quality small users.

I'd say JOD out but can definitely live with him being in or a sub. McNeil either comes in or plays a full one at VFL level. I am really huge on filling the side out with runners or guys who can play a role as small or medium forward. Bevo isn't going to let a player he doesn't fully trust with CBAs, so no point really picking West or McLean unless they look great forward in the VFL. VDM or perhaps Hannan.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching the VFL game..none of this lot are going to get selected!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Cannot agree with this. There are better four letter words than bold that could be applied.

It was not a sensible selection decision and until the last 3 or 4 minutes it had put our season at risk.

The win was despite selection decisions. This club was in a grand final two years ago. What?s been going on since then?

Carlton forwards threw away the game in the first half with some of the worst shots at goal that I have ever seen. We won because our backmen played exceptionally well both individually and as a cohesive group under enormous pressure. The 5 consecutive goals that Carlton put together could have also happened earlier but they prevented them.

That functionality was missing on the forward line (except for the last 5 minutes) and that should be addressed. I saw improvement but we need better forward craft to enhance good individual efforts.

Since when does a feel-good selection outweigh a tactically sound decision?

He might be a superstar down the track, I hope so, but last night was an insult to a few players who are working hard and would probably have done better.
    Agree 100% with everything you've said.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dadsgirl16 View Post
    agree, if it wasn't for the bad kicking this game would be done and dusted.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Cleary.

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleary is probably best but yeah, pretty poor. West undisciplined (win a free kick with great tackle and play tough guy only to rightly have it reversed, the 50 after that was poor umpiring though) and cannot believe he did not put his body over the ball rather than lean back when kicking for goal. He is better than that and is only letting himself down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    agree, if it wasn't for the bad kicking this game would be done and dusted.
    19 scoring shots to 24. Give 'em 3 of the 4 difference in the 1st Quarter, we still win. Don't change a winning side unless
    (a) there's a gun, treloar, to come back in; or
    (b) ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Beveridge almost never takes out a first gamer after one game. I think JOD plays again.
    and why not ? the jump from VFL to AFL ? 3 games is the least. Jones took 5 games to score and now he's exhaulted as the next Lally Bamblett.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the signs Charlie Clarke is showing. Just a few 'smart' things that would translate well to AFL. He might be ready in a few weeks.
    Cleary is an AFL player, just needs opportunity and time.

Hoping Treloar is right to go.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Likes EasternWest, josie, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I really like the signs Charlie Clarke is showing. Just a few 'smart' things that would translate well to AFL. He might be ready in a few weeks.
    Cleary is an AFL player, just needs opportunity and time.

Hoping Treloar is right to go.
    I was going to say the same about Clarke. His performance today a bit like the opposite of when McLean gets it 40+ times in the VFL in terms of translation to AFL.

Clearly and TOB our two best from what I've seen but I think spot in our side would be for a small/medium forward and/or runner. Clearly would mean perhaps Dale moves up the ground.

21. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching most of that VFL game, I'd go with McNeil starting and either JOD or Cleary as sub. I like Cleary but we either have to drop Doc or move Dale up the ground for him to fit I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring McNeil in. Make JOD the sub.

5 day break for the VFL doesn’t helped. Although noted McLean played limited minutes in the VFL so might be a consideration
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"