Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 8, 2023 vs GWS

This is the Round 8, 2023 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against GWS is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 8, 2023 vs GWS

Bankers

1. Bontempelli is just on another level to anyone right now.

2. Artie Jones, Some serious defensive pressure, and now the finishing as well.

3. Tim English, really owning a lot of key moments now. Tonight no different

Anchors

1. Our Defensive IQ. Gardner and Jones; their decision making and positioning got progressively worse as the game wore on.

2. I know we won the free kick count, but I felt the umps really screwed us badly in some obvious and potentially consequential situations.

3. our low energy start to the last quarter. The lazy, slow and tired passage of play that resulted in the first goal of the last Qtr. That attitude is what opened the door for them to get a run on.

3. Likes macca, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Arty's goals in the first quarter, plus his brilliant 360 turn to then land the ball in Naughton's hands.

2. Bont's Clearance work, although he was being tagged. He is so good to watch

3. Naughton's clutch goals in the last

Anchors

1. Umpires - The front on that was not paid to Richards in the last and resulted in a goal. The crashing into English in the marking in the last - that was 50m, but not given. Just two examples of blatant frees. worst year of umpiring - too mnay inexperienced trying to fill 4 umps per game.

Other than the four successive goals in the last - no other Anchors this week, given the conditions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    English - the no'1 ruckman in the AFL at the moment.
    Arthur Jones is rapidly silencing those on here who question his continued selection.
    Bontempelli - surely leading the Brownlow.

Anchors
    Duryea and Keath are no longer up to it imo and we should bite the bullet now.
    Treloar's injury.
    McNeill - 18% time on ground for 3 handballs and 5 metres gained, enough said.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Naughton can actually take marks when he is not competing with Lobb, Marra and Weightman

Thought Gardner was mostly competent on his return

Arty, Bont and English

Anchors

Treloar's injury

Another late run of goals we had difficulty stopping

Weightman seems lost this season
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting call on Weightman. He had a massively interrupted start to the year and was pushed into the side.

He's lagging slightly behind in all key stats vs. his career, but outside of last week has contributed to the team's overall output. He needs to adjust to playing with Arty, and concentrate on getting his team game going. If he does that he'll work into the year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

English - continues to grow into being a premium ruck. Some issues with positioning late at throw ins that exposed him in the way we don't like to see but overall an excellent game

Smith - after a few interruptions I feel he's working into things and tonight got his hands on it a lot when possession was a bit of an issue for us. Need to get him hitting the scoreboard and running at the defence a bit more but tonight I thought he was always there

Bontempelli - contested ball and clearances set the tone. Also leading the team in tackles, plus hitting the scoreboard. Almost a complete game even if Green did work off him a bit in the second half

Special mentions - Arty and JJ. Both dynamic and cool finishing

Anchors:

Jamarra - I thought he let himself down with his intent/ decision making and handling at times, after a really clean start

Gardner - had some decent moments but was a bit like Lew Young last night in that when he decided to come over the top he didn't impact the contest properly and exposed us. Hopefully he watches the videos and fixes it for next week as I like his pace and height

General defence - there's something weird happening post the Fremantle game that I can't quite put my finger on, but we seem to be holding off hitting the contest or being assertive enough to really pressure it. It means that we lose the initiative and seem to be scrambling to maintain ground. A close watch for me
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes macca, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    Bontempelli was superb, nothing new there but this might be the best we have seen him ever which is coming off a very high level.
    Bailey Smith was huge tonight and his once touch marking was so strong considering the conditions.
    JJ has the fountain of youth aspect about his season after last nights game. It's brilliant the way he has kicked important goals as well.

Anchors:
    The forward line was down again last night and we need a lot more from Cody and Marra. We need more from them.
    Treloar's injury will take a few weeks to get over but he goes about his recoveries professionally.
    We need Duryea to start delivering and he isn't the same player as last season but he is more than capable of turning it around.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes macca, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

(Probably same/similar to others)
    Bont - complete performance. So influential.
    Arty Jones - Lost count of how many times I've said "Good work Arty" at his good efforts and involvements in the last few weeks. Is stronger than he looks, and has composure as well.
    Our defenders - held up really well considering the pressure we were under. Gardy very good first game back.

Anchors:

- The 5-7 minute period Bont was off in the last quarter. I know they need breaks, but gee we noticed him not being there. He came back on and game immediately came under control again.
    - Thought after some good weeks on the wings, we were poor there this week. Didn't get great output from Baker or Williams and to a certain extent Scotty.

13. Likes EasternWest, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Richards - having a very good season.
    2. Arthur Jones - has a huge upside. Executed really well when he had to.
    3. English - becoming very reliable.

Anchors.

4 quick goals. WHY???
    Williams unfortunately did not continue with his good form
    Weightman is getting to where the ball isn't.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

15. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Bankers:

(Probably same/similar to others)
    Bont - complete performance. So influential.
    Arty Jones - Lost count of how many times I've said "Good work Arty" at his good efforts and involvements in the last few weeks. Is stronger than he looks, and has composure as well.
    Our defenders - held up really well considering the pressure we were under. Gardy very good first game back.

Anchors:

- The 5-7 minute period Bont was off in the last quarter. I know they need breaks, but gee we noticed him not being there. He came back on and game immediately came under control again.
    - Thought after some good weeks on the wings, we were poor there this week. Didn't get great output from Baker or Williams and to a certain extent Scotty.
    You've been rubbishing TOB's performances and wanted him dropped (when most thought he was contributing), yet you were happy with Gardner's output.. FMD!

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Bont for obvious reasons. This trajectory the Brownlow is a formality.

2. Naughton. Stood up when we needed someone in our f50 to.

3. 4 points. A win is a win

Anchors

1. Treloar's hammy. The game changed in the plastics favour when he went off. We did well to arrest back the momentum

2. Last quarter. I thought we were done for

3. Interstate games. 3 in a month who ticked off this shit off
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

18. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B

1 JJ continues to establish a form line that absolutely rejects my assessment that he was finished as major contributor to this team. I thought he was mentally shot a few years ago after he was physically targeted and intimidated repeatedly. Then the positional changes unsettled him further. Then the body seemed to be preventing proper continuity. He is absolutely not that player at the moment. It’s a vein of form that has an impact greater than the sum of its parts.

2 Arty. Kicked true, took his chances and worked all game. Said elsewhere and will repeat here, the turn to buy time and kick to Naughty in the last was world class.

3 English behind the ball. Valuable.

A

Umpiring was frustrating, both ways. First time I’d ever concede that an opposition fan sooking about the umpires had any merit. Four of them is worse than three. Go back to 2.

The Giants. Just a pack of losers. They are the Wish version of Essendon. Except Xavier O’Halloran. He’s a great fella from a good family and while I won’t publicly admit it, because it’s a dark family secret that we have blood in those colours, I want him to do well there.

Massive swings in momentum. It’s going to burn us over the next month.

20. Likes josie, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

1. The Bont - he is a beautiful footballer;
    2. Naughton - when you need him he bobbed up and sealed the deal
    3. Arty! - wow that goal he scored when he roved he pack was exactly what we needed

Anchors

1. umpiring - you wan to solve sling tackles etc. Blow the whistle early, before the tackler is forced to take an opponent down
    2. conceding multiple goals - the bugbear is still there and not really solved - we will come unstuck against good opposition

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not good with achors despite my bro being The Banker who learned to sack staff at his restaurants.
    He would also say at games things like "why would you handball to him?" And I'd say "he's a teammate".
    May have been Groenewagen (sp?) to whom his widow is related.
    I leave achors to others but will change mindset in Tim's memory in this thread. Thank you GVGjr and YankeeHotelFoxtrot , I'll visit you for dance lessons one day.

23. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post