Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  91
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL Fans and the booing of players

The booing of Lance Franklin by Collingwood supporters on Sunday has sparked more discussion on when players should or shouldn't be booked, if at all.

There was an argument made by several callers into SEN (I know, I know) that Sydney and their fans had no right to complain after Jack Ginnivan was booed by Sydney fans last year as he sat on the bench with an injury.

Earlier today, Collingwood put out a strongly worded statement, apologising to Franklin and the Swans, and declaring that the fans had missed an opportunity to celebrate a champion of the game.

It echoed the sentiments of Nathan Buckley, who had this to say on his regular SEN timeslot:

?I love the Collingwood faithful, but I got a message for them.

?Your team is the toast of the town and they're handling themselves on and off the field with class and poise.

?So, let's try and fall in the line on the other side of the fence."
    Tom Stewart was asked about whether he thought he would be booked against Richmond this week, after his hit on Dion Prestia last year. His reply impressed me:

?It?s probably fair enough that they?re allowed to boo me.

?I mean, some of the things that happen throughout the league of, of those that are getting booed aren't just, I think.

?But I probably deserve it in this respect.?
    It's been a fascinating discussion so far this year.

Stewart being booed, I get it. That was as ugly an incident as we've seen for a while and you can understand why Tigers have might want to give him a piece of their mind.

I look at a couple of the other booing incidents this year though, and I wonder what it's achieving.

Jason Horne-Francis: Why anyone other than North Melbourne Supporters are booing this kid is beyond me.
    Rory Lobb: Freo fans clearly forgot his her for to their club in the first place. As for GWS fans, he hasn't been on your list in years. Move on.

Which brings me to Sunday.

Am I missing some misdeed that Franklin has committed against the Pies recently? I'm genuinely confused as to how it came about.

I hope this was a one-off, Collingwood-supporters-being-tools moment but from what I've seen in recent years I don't know what to think anymore.

Help me out here WOOFers, make it make sense.

2. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Fans and the booing of players

I can't see why anyone except maybe Hawthorn fans boo Franklin.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the orchestrated booing acts and felt particularly bad for Adam Goodes given what he endured and we now know it took a significant toll on him. Booing a former player is a judgement call for people to make and booing a dirty act on the day seems okay to me but I'm not likely to join in.

People love to judge and ridicule other people so it's not going to stop anytime soon and perhaps doing in a group with others is rewarding or entertaining. I'd say its a small portion that would do it face to face with their target.
    Knowing what we now know about modern day challenges people face and that footballers aren't immune to it I would prefer it didn't happen.

I don't know why people starting booing Buddy but I hope there was a genuine reason.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Just so weird. Pies fans again. Why boo him now all of a sudden? Didn't boo him last season or the one before that.

It's always pies fans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Just so weird. Pies fans again. Why boo him now all of a sudden? Didn't boo him last season or the one before that.

It's always pies fans.
    Not sure it is always Pies fans, but I detest the continued booing of individual players.

I get that fans are entitled to boo someone for disloyalty such as Dunkley/Ward for us but it should cease pretty quickly.

Individual incidents like Stewart on Prestia or Jeremy Cameron (multiple Johannisen/Harris Andrews) bring some dislike upon themselves.

However, the concerted effort that crosses multiple teams like JHF and the effort against Buddy are just herd mentality acts that are distasteful. I don't think you ever get rid of it because the human is a herd animal with limited reasoning power.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't get booing players.

If a player like Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar or Katie Brennan wants to further his or her career at another club, it's a business decision and it is up to them.

If a player commits a thug act on the field, perhaps one could boo the AFL for not having a send off rule.

As for champions of the game like Buddy Franklin, Joel Selwood and Adam Goodes, I just don't get it. They should be celebrated.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I just don't get booing players.

If a player like Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar or Katie Brennan wants to further his or her career at another club, it's a business decision and it is up to them.

If a player commits a thug act on the field, perhaps one could boo the AFL for not having a send off rule.

As for champions of the game like Buddy Franklin, Joel Selwood and Adam Goodes, I just don't get it. They should be celebrated.
    Dunks have great service to our club and left for a better opportunity. We knew it was coming and we got what I feel was a great trade. No hard feelings at all.

The three names you mentioned in your last paragraph, I'm with you. I just don't get it.

There was one suggestion made to Gerard Whateley this morning that Grundy might be booed when he plays against the Pies. Gerard quite rightly pointed out that Grundy was more or less forced out by Collingwood, and that it would be totally ridiculous.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Treloar cop it from Pies fans? He was shunted out of the club and he shouldn't be on the receiving end.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Does Treloar cop it from Pies fans? He was shunted out of the club and he shouldn't be on the receiving end.
    No, they applauded him.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

A guy at work who went was booing Franklin for his cheap shot on Murphy. He's no angel, champion yes but certainly no angel on the footy field so can understand it. Guys like Carey, Buckley, Ablett, Dangerfield have had their share if boos over the years and took it on the chin. This is no different despite the race card starting to be pulled out of the deck. They're fans, they're passionate and emotional they are part of the theatrics and can cheer, boo, cry as much as they please. Should opposition supporters make their opponent feel welcome? No bloody way! Isn't that one of the advantages of playing on the home deck?

I'm getting tired of hearing about this to be honest.

14. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d boo Dunks. Bit of fun.

No idea why they’re booing Lance. Not sure it should be a massive story… yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Booing is just Banter . If I was a player it wouldn’t worry me it’s a kind of connection to the fans.
    It usually means you’re a very good player or you did something to upset the fans with something you did to an opposition player or team.
    In saying that I don’t understand the booing of Lance.
    Just a reminder back in 2001 the swans ran an advertisement leading up to a game against North Melbourne . It was called boo a roo.
    Personally the more the media go on about it the more it will happen.
    I’m old school. It’s the good v bad , your team/ players being the good and the opposition team/ player being the bad.
    But if you met them on the street you admire them.
    When I played you did anything to upset your opponent but after game it was a beer and a laugh.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Booing is just Banter
    Not always, the Goodes stuff came across as pretty racist imo.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Not sure it is always Pies fans, but I detest the continued booing of individual players.

I get that fans are entitled to boo someone for disloyalty such as Dunkley/Ward for us but it should cease pretty quickly.

Individual incidents like Stewart on Prestia or Jeremy Cameron (multiple Johannisen/Harris Andrews) bring some dislike upon themselves.

However, the concerted effort that crosses multiple teams like JHF and the effort against Buddy are just herd mentality acts that are distasteful. I don't think you ever get rid of it because the human is a herd animal with limited reasoning power.
    The no reason booing has almost been. It was them with Goodes, they started the Horne Francis neutral booing and now this.

I don't have a problem with reasoned booing. Id never do it myself but I get it and think it's all part of the fun of sports. But when there's no reason you have to wonder where it's coming from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Not always, the Goodes stuff came across as pretty racist imo.
    Agree - there's booing and there's booing.

This neo booing (yes I made that up) is akin to pathetic racist little trolls sitting behind their keyboards slagging people on social media.

Cowards hiding in the mass using any excuse to spout their vile underlying prejudice.

He may have got a few jeers for some in game stuff, that's OK by me, however it now morphs into something bigger and uglier and personally I'm glad Collingwood showed the leadership to call it out, hopefully before it catches fire.

20. Likes chef liked this post