Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  91
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Fans and the booing of players

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Not always, the Goodes stuff came across as pretty racist imo.
    The Goodes booing was certainly portrayed as racist, but I don't really believe that was the cause.

Goodes was certainly a polarising figure and he did some things on field that attracted the ire of opposition supporters.

This included a perception of preferential treatment often meted out to star players. Selwood and Dangerfield have been subject to similar.

With the Goodes episodes it was called out as racist amid wider publicity and it just grew with the bogan element to become incessant.

The worst thing that could happen with Buddy is to label it racist and embolden the bogans.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see the game but apparently Franklin hit Murphy with a cheap shot earlier in the match? Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case, pretty simple explanation why he was booed on Sunday (and fair enough if so). The racial connotations over this specific issue are not helpful or relevant, but that is the hot-button topic that will guarantee the clicks. Does anyone really think Buddy was booed on Sunday out of some racial grounds? He has been nothing but lauded for the champion that he is throughout his decorated career to date.

Pies, Swans and AFEL all launching a coordinated statement designed to nip anything in the bud (no pun intended) might have the opposite effect - don't be surprised if a section of the crowd will now see this as red rag to a bull and boo Buddy every week from now on. That's how dickheads roll, and when you get 50,000 people packed into a stadium there are going to be some dickheads (one of the reasons I stopped going to the footy a few years ago was that life was too short to be in the company of dickheads, which there will invariably be some at the footy).

Colour me cynical, but the Swans have really brought this to the attention because they are currently travelling like busted arseholes and are in real danger of crashing out of finals contention. Classic deflection straight out of the Sheedy playbook.

Different issue but I cannot ever take the Swans seriously when they have a pride round with all the bells and whistles but are holding their hand out for sponsorship $$$ from state owned Qatar Airways. If the Swans didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all. And of course their seemingly never-ending whinging over the umpiring in the 2016 GF.

Horne-Francis booing is just bizarre outside of North fans. But again, you can't legislate for dickheads.

What is the end game here? Are we going to legislate against jeering when an opposition player kicks it out of bounds on the full? Or when someone buckles at the knees and wins a contentious free kick in front of goal?

I can see both side to this issue, but in our binary world today it seems like you must take an absolute position one way or the other. It's tiring and frankly this issue is not the slightest bit important compared to day-to-day life.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree @sedat - however I love your posts..so "LIKE"!.

5. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    You know I love a world where there is healthy debate and a respectful exchange of different ideas and perspectives

7. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was booed because he was racist in his comments IMO . He was Australian of the year and spent the speech bagging Australians.
    It was ok for him to throw an imaginary spear at the crowd, can you imagine if a white Australian did it?
    I find he was his own worst enemy and booing isn?t racist or all aborigines would be booed .
    It was the way he came across
    Eg the kid who called him whatever name it was: don?t go degrading the kid . Meet them talk to them as a friend, educate them . Don?t persecute him or her
    We have to come together and he being the adult could have handled it a lot better . I?m in no way racist I take people on their merits .
    How booing is seen as racism is beyond me . He also tackled legs first once and personally that?s what I saw the first reason he was booed .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Let me preface what I'm about to write by saying I don't boo ... I tell my kids not to boo. It doesn't add to theatre; it's mindless. I do yell abuse, but I always try and make it witty (not always successfully).

The Adam Goodes booing annoyed me. It started because he was a dick; faking for free kicks and a couple of cheap shots behind play; behaviour not consistent to that of a champion of the game. It annoys me because the booing continued after the behaviour stopped ... it became racially motivated.

Jason Horne-Francis booing was actually started by North fans during the Gather Round. After they were comprehensively beaten by Brisbane in the hills, a group of supporters came back to watch the Port v Bulldogs game (as well as supporters from other clubs that were there for the round of footy). That is where is started; now supporters think it's funny to continue it, even though it has nought to do with their club.

Highlighting what the Collingwood flogs did to Buddy on the weekend is only going to fuel the mindless numpties this weekend. This has the potential to become racial; I don't think it is there yet.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He was booed because he was racist in his comments IMO . He was Australian of the year and spent the speech bagging Australians.
    It was ok for him to throw an imaginary spear at the crowd, can you imagine if a white Australian did it?
    I find he was his own worst enemy and booing isn?t racist or all aborigines would be booed .
    Eg the kid who called him whatever name it was: don?t go degrading the kid . Meet them talk to them as a friend, educate them . Don?t persecute him or her
    We have to come together and he being the adult could have handled it a lot better . I?m in no way racist I take people on their merits .
    How booing is seen as racism is beyond me . He also tackled legs first once and personally that?s what I saw the first reason he was booed .
    I guess each to their own mate, not sure I agree with any of that.
    The curse is dead.

11. Likes lemmon, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Ahem...

boooooooo

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, and it had a massive impact on him. After hearing about how some comments made to Marra impacted him orchestrated booing to any player especially an indigenous one isn't necessarily easily brushed off.

I get booing a dirty act and a returning player but some of this just seems to be organised bullying.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes chef, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crowds are so interesting.

Take the PL.

Two working class areas in the north of England.

Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Liverpool.

God save the King was played prior to matches due to coronation.

Liverpool fans drowned it out with boos.

Newcastle fans sang it at the top of their lungs.

Humans.. I can't work them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I didn't see the game but apparently Franklin hit Murphy with a cheap shot earlier in the match? Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case, pretty simple explanation why he was booed on Sunday (and fair enough if so). The racial connotations over this specific issue are not helpful or relevant, but that is the hot-button topic that will guarantee the clicks. Does anyone really think Buddy was booed on Sunday out of some racial grounds? He has been nothing but lauded for the champion that he is throughout his decorated career to date..
    I don't believe anyone has said the booing was on racial grounds?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't believe anyone has said the booing was on racial grounds?
    It has been heavily intimated by the AFEL media. In particular referencing the Goodes situation from 10 years ago as a direct comparison, which is no comparison whatsoever in terms of circumstances.

Peddling division when there is barely any is the media stock in trade.

Post Thanks / Like

The Boo Splainer

Last edited by bornadog; 09-05-2023 at 02:10 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Stop being a people pleaser!

At least have the disclaimer on your signature

"Likes" do not endorse my view.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Stop being a people pleaser!

At least have the disclaimer on your signature

"Likes" do not endorse my view.
    Haha - like this.